What's new

Need help - Wood plank floor suspended garage

89Breaker

Around
Member Number
Looking at house to buy with garage built on hill with wooden structure.

Due to hill, the garage is raised with WOOD floor using 2x4s that are spaced about 1/8” appart.

The supports beams run perpendicular and floor is parallel to garage.

Basically like an enclosed deck.

This seems unsafe for welding and wrenching.

Anybody seen something like this?
I’m digging into the code but very questionable.

Metal sheets over top.

Or weld outside. I usually do that anyhow, keeps the smoke and mess outside.

My neighbor has a wood floor garage. He parks his truck on the second floor and does his fixing on the first floor. He has a garage door access on the first floor also. Not sure what I would do it if was mine.

Last edited:
Rip all that shit out and floor it with 6" c purlin.

Never heard of a pier and beam garage... but i guess it's a thing? :laughing:
This is the answer. But regardless, it needs to be analyzed and sized properly. 2x4s is not the right answer. And, because it has been used for this purpose does not mean that it is safe it will last.
I'm channeling CG a bit here, but that structure is not safe until a load calculation has been done. My gut is that your deck is not strong enough to hold vehicles.

Can you whip up a drawing of the cross section if the structure and list all spacing of supporting members?

Again, How much space between floor and dirt?
How far will a wheel drop if the floor collapses?
Run big long planks on the floor where you park a vehicle?
Lotsa variables.
Was it ever inspected?
Offer less?

Again, How much space between floor and dirt?
How far will a wheel drop if the floor collapses?
Run big long planks on the floor where you park a vehicle?
Lotsa variables.
Was it ever inspected?
Offer less?
Inspected? I can't believe that it's insurable.

Sounds better than a shed with OSB or plywood floor. Leaks won't be a problem. Grab some aluminum sheet and put it where you want to work, as long as it's dry, It will be fine

Looking at house to buy with garage built on hill with wooden structure.

Due to hill, the garage is raised with WOOD floor using 2x4s that are spaced about 1/8” appart.

The supports beams run perpendicular and floor is parallel to garage.

Basically like an enclosed deck.

This seems unsafe for welding and wrenching.

We're gonna need to see pics of this thing.

My neighbor has a wood floor garage. He parks his truck on the second floor and does his fixing on the first floor. He has a garage door access on the first floor also. Not sure what I would do it if was mine.
Building a barn/garage into the side of a hill like that so you've got drive in access on two levels is pretty common around here. 16" joist spacing and 2" thick lumber for the floor deck on the "upper" ground level will hold up most stuff just fine.

I would recommend, Not to Weld in there.

And

1000005574.jpg

Last edited:
Y’all never driven across a wooden bridge?

I’ve driven across plenty of home made ones

Where they use good locust or oak trunks for the beams and rough sawn 2x 6 for the deck and pressure treated lumber for the tracks you drive on .

The campground I lived at when I was a kid had several .

The park rangers used to make them .

No engineering or any of that shit .

Just a double set of good tree trunks on each side directly under where the wheels are , with cables in a figure 8 around the trunks to keep them from separating ,

Seen plenty of motorhomes and loaded dump trucks go over em

Loaded dump trucks would occasionally break through or damage the cross lumber but never fell through since the trunks were right under the wheels .

I’m sure now you couldn’t build a bridge like that , you’d have to spend a half million dollars on engineering and designs and all
That shit .

These old bridges were free. The rangers and maintenance guys were already on the payroll and they had a backhoe or two .

We're gonna need to see pics of this thing.

Building a barn/garage into the side of a hill like that so you've got drive in access on two levels is pretty common around here. 16" joist spacing and 2" thick lumber for the floor deck on the "upper" ground level will hold up most stuff just fine.
I probably wouldn't want to weld up there, but park and non sparky work, sure.

I was debating the purchase, housing supply is really low, but then I walked into my garage and looked at my stretched YJ on tons and welders.

Awwwww hell no!

iirc pratt&whitney had floors like that

used to be fairly common, but when the roof leaks the floor will come up in the middle when it expands
Lockheed Martin does as well at the Waterton Canyon facility in their second floor factory in Littleton, CO. It was rubberized over the top. That is the area where they welded and assembled the tank sections for the Atlas V rocket booster. Manufacturing has since moved to Alabama.

iirc pratt&whitney had floors like that

used to be fairly common,
I used to work in a place that had them. Was an old machine shop for castings. The point was that they're removable individually like bricks so you can have machines bearing directly on the concrete but if someone drops a tool or part you don't chip it on the concrete and have to scrap it. I get the old timely nostalgia appeal but frankly I consider them to be hipster shit that's outperformed every way by modern plastics.
but when the roof leaks the floor will come up in the middle when it expands
As will coolant and oil.

I'm just thinking from generic user standpoint- all my shit leaks a little bit. Oil, ps fluid, tiny bit of axle juice, etc. After 10 years of living there that floor has soaked up gallons of various dino jizz and its spread out over a large area. On beer #11 one night... "imma go cut the cats off that sumbich" :hiccup: Job complete but a good glob of orange steel fell down between the cracks and is smoldering. You went to bed. Oh, and you left a window open. So now the fire that's gonna ignite 3 minutes from now has a cold air intake.

There would be some strict rules on that garage.

Top Back Refresh