What's new

Need help sizing a steel I-beam

Judging by all the suggestions so far, I think I need to drop it down to maaaybe 4k capacity. No way I'm lifting an w18 or 24 into place.
Above is trusses, but it runs parallel with them, and right in-between two of them so lagging up is not an option.
I'd like to go 10-12" beam if at all possible.
PXL_20221013_011651172~2.jpg
PXL_20221013_011640473~2.jpg

Seems like you have the perfect situation to run a w18 or 24 1/2 or more recesed into your ceiling to gain even more headroom.

Seems like you have the perfect situation to run a w18 or 24 1/2 or more recesed into your ceiling to gain even more headroom.
Exactly, or build a truss with lighter steel.

He could do something like a w12 on bottom, cut a few holes in the ceiling tin and bolt a truss to the beam upstairs. Like a Pratt, Howe, or Warren style truss bridge.

I could...but I think that would be a huge pain in the ass. 14" of blown insulation above.
If I'd have planned ahead the beam should have gone in first, then butted the tin up to the web.

I like this idea.
Would it cut the beam size in half?
It's going to vary depending on where it's set, what the effective span is etc. But yea, it can massively cut down on the beam size. Maybe someone feels like running the numbers for your 8k at a 15ft span to get an idea.

You must make sure it's an A type frame and can clamp on. If it's just a column you can have an unstable situation where the beam can buckle sideways because it's unrestrained.

I'm thinking W12x50.
The cripple would be towards the load side of center, so probably a 12-13' span.
And I'm not set on 8k capacity, I was more looking at the cost/weight difference to go from 2k, 4k, 6k, 8k.

I'm thinking W12x50.
The cripple would be towards the load side of center, so probably a 12-13' span.
And I'm not set on 8k capacity, I was more looking at the cost/weight difference to go from 2k, 4k, 6k, 8k.
W12x53 is plenty for 8k on that span, going off some prints of what I've built before for rigging escalator sections into place.

I'm thinking W12x50.
I'll run whatever you want in Beamboy just give it to me in a understandable request.

I'm thinking W12x50.

W12x50 support at 15' 8k load at 7.5'
1665785043795.png

1665785087757.png

Keep in mind that with a beam that long, other factors come into play that have not been calculated here. Calculating for the lightest member can give you a very unstable condition where the beam will not carry the intended weight. (Tall beams with narrow flanges) They will encounter a lateral torsional buckling condition if not restrained.

See this video.

Keep in mind that with a beam that long, other factors come into play that have not been calculated here. Calculating for the lightest member can give you a very unstable condition where the beam will not carry the intended weight. (Tall beams with narrow flanges) They will encounter a lateral torsional buckling condition if not restrained.

See this video.

Great point.
I am by no means an enginerd.
I'll use commonly available designs to reverse engineer and or overkill.

Imo it's worth the effort to make one end a movable A frame and to hinge the fixed end. That will give you a 180* arc of reach and with a moveable end A frame a significant increase in capacity when needed by getting the load near as possible to the support.

CarterKraft
Can you run the numbers on this?
W beam, 24lb/ft and 35lb/ft.
30' span, 4k load.
Can you run it at both 30' span and 15' span so I see what a cripple in the center does.
Please and thank you!
PXL_20230222_170111337.jpg
w12x26 (no 24 lb in the calculator) 30' beam support at 0' and 30' 4k load at 15'
1677101305800.png

same beam with supports at 0' and 15', 4k load at 7.5'
1677101408428.png

W12X35lb ft beam 30' long, support at 0' and 30', 4k load at 15'
1677101631599.png

same beam with supports at 0' and 15', 4k load at 7.5'
1677101572198.png

Thanks! Looks to me like the 24 or 26 is perfectly fine with a center cripple support if I'm going to lift something heavy, which would be rare.
Yeah but those are 12" beams, the 8" is gonna be much less capacity.
I can do them too though if you want to see.

W8x24lb 30' beam, support at 15' load at 7.5'
1677158594095.png

w8x34 lb beam same supports/loads

1677158725232.png

There is other stuff that comes into play when designing a beam other than just stresses. The longer the beam the less allowable stress. I have attached a figure that tells you the allowable bending capacity of the beam for different unbraced lengths. In your case your unbraced length is the length of the beam because it is only supported on the ends. The units are kip*ft for bending moment. A kip is just 1,000 lbs if you are unfamiliar with the term.

Sounds to me like you are point loading with a rolling hoist, so the maximum bending will be when it is in the center. The equation to determine the bending in the beam is (P*L)/4 where P is the applied load, L is the length. Say you have a 30’ beam, supported on the ends, and you are putting 5,000 lbs in the middle. Your moment in the beam is 5kips*30ft/4 = 37.5 kips*ft. In the figure you must be on the line or below the line for the beam listed. So if we look at the figure a W10x33 beam gives you an allowable capacity of about 41 kip*ft. Ignore the column that says LRFD, this is a different design method that even most enginerds don't fully grasp, you want to look at the ASD column on the far left.

beam table.png

Just an easy to move supporting member. Stow it up against the wall, rolls on beam flange like a trolley until its locked into place where needed.
you could have one on each side of the shop and roll out, now you can lift a bunch more because the free span went from 30 foot to 8 or 12 foot between support. i like it....

Top Back Refresh