What's new

Need a Laptop

Member Number
Loc
socal
I currently use a Lenovo at work, it is great for everything I would want for a personal machine. Apparently they discontinued the specific model I have with a dedicated graphics card. So with that said how bad will the Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics card suck? I need it to run simple SW assemblies and occasionally a VM for plc programming.

I am open to other brands/options in the $1300 range

lenovo.jpg

lenovo1.jpg

for $1300, i'd imagine it will be kickass and just fine. especially if you are using SW for home purposes, being as fast isn't as big an issue

I don't like intergraded graphics for SW usage. Slow is the least of the issues, when your trying to rotate and it moves in 5 degrees every 10 seconds and then crashes really blows. I upped my Surface pro 6 to 8GB of ram and still has the intergraded graphics and it's not enough. I wanted 16GB and a Nvidia card but not the price that went with that setup.

See if you can get your hands on a P series laptop, most of them come with dedicated graphics.

Refurbed entry-level gaming laptop from the manufacturer. Mine was under 800, nvidia 1650, i5 9300h, 8gb one simm, ssd, hdd.

Costco has several options with 10th gen i7, SSD hardrive, and dedicated graphics cards.

They have a 15.6" hp that I am looking at for under 1k.

My current company laptop is Lenovo P50 with Intel integrated graphics. Runs SW, Catia, and various CAE programs just fine.

Yes. I'm up for replacement this year. Point is that integrated graphics works just fine.

Yeah, they're good laptops...I had a T42, T61p, W500, W510, W530, P50, and am on an X1 Carbon right now (not doing as much dev work these days but have a P330 desktop if need be).

I just purchased this one https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-F15-...91812054244-20
ASUS TUF F15 Premium Laptop 15.6” FHD 10th Gen Intel 4-core i5-10300H (> i7-8750H) 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB Backlit USB-C Wifi6 Win10 + Delca 16GB Micro SD Card $899.

The I-5 was a better choose over the I-7 , very easy to upgrade to more ram and the SSD and HDD later down the road. it was btween the Dell and ASUS, but the usb choices did it for me ..it has a usb 3 which will come in handy. back-lite keyboard is a must have.

The I-5 was a better choose over the I-7.

you say that, but the one you purchased is comparing a 10th gen i5 to an 8th gen i7 :confused:

the two above your post are both 10th gen, and the i7 is cheaper and faster, not sure that the i5 would make more sense in that case

you say that, but the one you purchased is comparing a 10th gen i5 to an 8th gen i7 :confused:

the two above your post are both 10th gen, and the i7 is cheaper and faster, not sure that the i5 would make more sense in that case

The I-5 in my laptop I just replaced has been a beast and very reliable and runs very cool. , heat issues seem to play role in the I7 but ehh still it is a good chip

the work laptop that turned me onto lenovo (didnt know they existed before) is an i5 10th. no issues with it at all so i was asking if newer is better

if a bit faster is more important to you, then yes.

if being a bit cheaper is more important to you, then yes.

if running a bit cooler is more important to you, then no.

You can get a t series with a dedicated graphics still. I think the T15 offers it and the T590

My last lenovo lasted 8 years, and I sold it still working.

Couple questions for the guru’s here.

This is for a personal, non-gaming laptop in the $600-$800 range.

How does quality compare between Dell, Asus, and Lenovo?

Will 1.8Ghz with at least 8mb of Ram be enough (running a SSD HD)?

:beer:Thanks.

For about a grand, I picked up my Acer Predator Helios a year-and-a-half ago and use it daily for cadcam. It boots up in 5 seconds and runs like a champ.

Ok but I’m not looking to drop a grand, this will primarily be used for Microsoft office, emails, possibly some streaming, etc no CAD work or heavy lifting like Lightroom, etc.

Top Back Refresh