What's new

Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwiches

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
I combined and tweaked a few recipes, but really like the outcome.

Wet Mix:

2 cups whole milk (can use buttermilk)
1/3 cup hot sauce (I like Louisiana or Valentino)

Breading:

2 cups flour
3 Tbsp corn starch
3 Tbsp seasoned salt
2 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder

Seasoning for hot oil:

2 tsp cayenne pepper (and up to 1/3 cup for more spice)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp chili powder (I like gerdhart brand)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika

Chicken:

I like to butterfly 4 breast and pound thin for this recipe, but you can use thighs, or bone in pieces if not doing sandwiches.

Oil:

I like to use canola oil in a cast iron pot. You can use vegetable or peanut oil if you prefer.

Bread and pickles:

I prefer using a toasted bun with a thin layer of mayonnaise, and bread and butter pickles.

Instructions:

1. Whisk milk and hot sauce in a bowl to dip chicken in.

2. Mix the seasonings and flour for breading together in a bowl or bag. I’ve done it both way, it’s a preference if you want to hand dredge or shake the chicken.

3. Dip each piece of chicken in the breading mixture, then into the milk/hot sauce mixture, then back into the breading mixture . Place the breaded chicken onto a baking sheet (I like to use a rack on the sheet) and place in fridge for 30 mins to allow breading to set.

4. Pre-heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees while the chicken rest.

5. Mix together the seasonings for the hot oil and set aside.

6. After the resting period, fry the chicken until golden brown. I typically do two pieces at a time. I like to place the done pieces on a baking rack and place in the oven on warm while frying the remaining pieces.

7. When you’re done frying the chicken, place the seasoning for the hot oil in a skillet. Place approximately one cup of the hot oil from from the chicken and whisk it together with the seasonings in the skillet until combined. Once combined, dip each piece of chicken in the oil, or brush it on (my preferred method)

8. Serve on a bun with pickles, or however you want to eat it.

D65BA23D-5725-4864-A240-369DB833E32A.jpeg

No disrespect to Op’s recipe...

How does this compare to Popeye’s spicy chicken sandwich?

I like heat, but it has to have flavor to go with it. I’m going to give it a try :smokin:

No disrespect to Op’s recipe...

How does this compare to Popeye’s spicy chicken sandwich?

I like heat, but it has to have flavor to go with it. I’m going to give it a try :smokin:

Different breading. It’s not near as thick as Popeyes. It also has a different flavor profile. You can kick the heat up as much as you want with additional Cayenne. I like a little heat with other underlying spices.

Different breading. It’s not near as thick as Popeyes. It also has a different flavor profile. You can kick the heat up as much as you want with additional Cayenne. I like a little heat with other underlying spices.

Trying this for sure, the kid’s mind will be blown when I make this (she got me my first Popeye’s spicy) :smokin:

I'll take the thick version please. And a slab of breast sticking way out of the bun, too. :smokin:

I'll take the thick version please. And a slab of breast sticking way out of the bun, too. :smokin:

I’ve never had great luck getting a thick batter on chicken. I seem to have better luck shaking the chicken in bag when trying to get a thicker batter. I also have tried different ratios of corn starch and flour.

I’ve never had great luck getting a thick batter on chicken. I seem to have better luck shaking the chicken in bag when trying to get a thicker batter. I also have tried different ratios of corn starch and flour.

To get a thick breading, bread the chicken twice and then let it sit out on a wire rack for 10 minutes or so. The moisture will absorb into all the breading and stick to the chicken better.

My 9yo has a cook book and we use the buttermilk marinated fried chicken recipe from it.

You soak the chicken in spiced buttermilk, dip in flour, dip in egg wash, and dip in flour again. We usually make it in the oven, but last time we fried it and it was fantastic.

Last edited:

If you want thicker breading. Go with corn starch first. Then bread and dredge twice. Then let out sit on a wire rack.

Top Back Refresh