What's new

My Name Is Salt - Documentary on Prime

Riles

Member Number
I thought this was a pretty good documentary about salt farmers in India.

What?!? You prejudice against pepper... racist. PLM.

I’m about 20 minutes in and haven’t heard English yet, next. Pretty disgusting actually, I’ll go out of my way not to by salt from India from now on.

Fucking "A" watched it with the parents. GREAT flick.:smokin:
OP: Thanks...... I owe you a beer or two if your ever in a Hurricane....:smokin:

You’re never gonna be buying salt from India. It’s too plentiful here. I watched this last night. Makes me damn thankful for what I have and take for granted. Everything they did was by hand other than pumping the water. I’m amassed that they buried those little pellitor (sp) motors in mud then dig them out of the mud the next year and they run.

I thought it was good. Those are hard working folks that make do with assholes and elbows work ethic to get the job done. It's neat the kids had a little school shack to educate and socialize them. It's weird they bury their pumps and hoses...I guess that's easier than hauling back and forth and storage at home.
I fell asleep about 3/4 the way through though and finished it up this morning.
One thing I didn't catch was....
Is the water salty or is the ground? Does the salt leach up from the soil or does the salt separate from the water?

It reminds me of rice or catfish farming as far as the ponds go, but only 6" deep. Tamping the ground over and over would be exhausting...same with digging the damns.

Pretty sure the salt is coming from the water. That’s pretty much how they get salt from the great salt lake. They flood shallow ponds then let the water evaporate off. They don’t have guys duck walking in the ponds though. :grinpimp:

Pretty sure the salt is coming from the water. That’s pretty much how they get salt from the great salt lake. They flood shallow ponds then let the water evaporate off. They don’t have guys duck walking in the ponds though. :grinpimp:

Thats one way, they do that in California too in the Bay area.
Down here we have salt mines.

I thought it was good. Those are hard working folks that make do with assholes and elbows work ethic to get the job done. It's neat the kids had a little school shack to educate and socialize them. It's weird they bury their pumps and hoses...I guess that's easier than hauling back and forth and storage at home.
I fell asleep about 3/4 the way through though and finished it up this morning.
One thing I didn't catch was....
Is the water salty or is the ground? Does the salt leach up from the soil or does the salt separate from the water?

It reminds me of rice or catfish farming as far as the ponds go, but only 6" deep. Tamping the ground over and over would be exhausting...same with digging the damns.

The salt is in the water. They let it crystalize then break it up with the rakes and repeat.

God I wish there was some narration, I had some many questions, but then again part of what made that show good was the lack of talking.

Good watch, especially for my children. Didn't know there was subtitles. I'm gonna read online about my questions...such as, the sticks, were they put there to start the salt precipitating from the water, or did they blow in like tumbleweeds?

Top Back Refresh