What's new

...musical MIG wire...

Mad Max

Imagineer
Member Number
So I'm preparing to weld a set of trusses to a D60 front and 14b rear. I got some high-nickel MIG wire for the center sections (nodular iron/cast steel whatever it really is) and my question is can the high-nickel wire be used on the tubes as well...or is nickel wire not as awesome for the mild steel work? I want to stagger the welds far apart, but in order to switch back to regular MIG wire I'll be switching all the time, and I'll be wasting a ton of wire in the process. That said...presuming pre-heating and controlled cooling etc. is there any reason regular MIG wire can't/shouldn't be used for the whole project - centers and tubes?

Personally I'd say you'll be fine doing it all out of nickel. Nickel should be stronger and you'll also be bringing the truss material and tube material into the weld. If anything it's just a more expensive weld than the regular mig.

Any reason why you don't want to "lock" the axle tubes into place by welding the truss to the tubes first. Then switch over, do all your preheating and welding at the center differential. IMO the truss tied to the tubes first will help in keeping things straight.

Wire will be fine. If it's something like an Artec, warping the tubes will be your biggest issue.

they are Artec, and I'll just use standard .030 MIG and 75/25 gas, and just be real careful with the pre/post heat and staggering the weld points. Thanks all - appreciate the intel 👍

So I'm preparing to weld a set of trusses to a D60 front and 14b rear. I got some high-nickel MIG wire for the center sections (nodular iron/cast steel whatever it really is) and my question is can the high-nickel wire be used on the tubes as well...or is nickel wire not as awesome for the mild steel work? I want to stagger the welds far apart, but in order to switch back to regular MIG wire I'll be switching all the time, and I'll be wasting a ton of wire in the process. That said...presuming pre-heating and controlled cooling etc. is there any reason regular MIG wire can't/shouldn't be used for the whole project - centers and tubes?
:confused:
how?

I was thinking the same. Snip the end of the wire at the gun and roll the spool backwards by hand. All you lose is what you snip. You only do that because usually a little ball forms in the end of the wire.

I think some people cut the wire at the feed rollers and pull the wasted section out of the gun. :confused:

I was thinking the same. Snip the end of the wire at the gun and roll the spool backwards by hand. All you lose is what you snip. You only do that because usually a little ball forms in the end of the wire.

I think some people cut the wire at the feed rollers and pull the wasted section out of the gun. :confused:
that is what I am wondering, there is hardly waste in wore feed, but I am wondering if I am missing something

..funny - hadn't thought about rolling it back - yeap that would have saved a lot. But, I ended up just welding it with standard .030 wire and kept close tabs on the temps, and it worked out great 👍

Wow brilliant. I too have been needlessly wasting wire every time I switch. Rolling backwards is so easy can't believe I didn't think of it

Top Back Refresh