What's new

Mountain Bike Qs - Hard tail or Full?

I broke down last year after riding cheap bikes for a long time and dropped about 5k on a full suspension 29er with 162mm rear and 170mm front travel and it was well worth it, but I put a lot of miles in it to justify it. I do a lot of fat biking in the winter too and at about 10 psi even with no suspension fork on a hard tail it’s a nice cushy ride.

what did you buy?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

mtb market is all fubar'd right now because of therona. no one has new bikes, buddy sold his 2yr old yt for $2k, i think he bought it new for $3k and rides twice a week in less than 12hrs on cl.

i think your budget it too low. add a dropper to what you have and come back when you are willing to spend more. there are plenty of small travel 29 bikes out there that would be a good fit for what you are after.

Welp, you were right. Market is insane. Wound up pulling the trigger on one of these .

MY19Stance1_ColorA.jpg

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-1-2019

I was about to go buy some clapped out Scott from some stoner kid when I mad a last minute hail mary phone call. Demo bike from a local ski area. $1300.

Stoked.

👍 looks like a steal. Now time to ride it. Download Strava and record your rides, I thing it’s great for tracking miles, speed, and seeing progress.

Welp, you were right. Market is insane. Wound up pulling the trigger on one of these .

MY19Stance1_ColorA.jpg

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-1-2019

I was about to go buy some clapped out Scott from some stoner kid when I mad a last minute hail mary phone call. Demo bike from a local ski area. $1300.

Stoked.

Sweet!

You will enjoy that. Yuge jump from and old rigid.

I'll be heading to NH in October, will be bringing the bike too.

no fucking joke! This thing is insane. The og question of ht vs fs was dumb. Being old and broken i started riding again pretty conservatively. This thing is a crazy confidence builder.

Where are you riding?

Wow! Good deal on that bike and actually being able to find one!

... This thing is a crazy confidence builder...

Beware the false confidence. I hear that trees/ground/rocks hurt more at higher speeds as you get older :laughing:

2nd the strava comment. I avoided it for a long time and recently started using it. I don't really worry about the competitive side of it, but it is handy for keeping track of mileage on your stuff and finding some routes near you.

Have fun man!

no fucking joke! This thing is insane. The og question of ht vs fs was dumb. Being old and broken i started riding again pretty conservatively. This thing is a crazy confidence builder.

Where are you riding?

I will be down near Keene mostly.

Will also be meeting a friend somewhere between there and Burlington VT.

And done. Great app... we hit a park a couple weeks ago where I knew had no service. And did I remember to download a map? :homer:

And how does one multi-quote up in this place anyhow?

quote everything you want to quote and hit reply in the upper left. the number corresponds to the number of quote you are quoting

And done. Great app... we hit a park a couple weeks ago where I knew had no service. And did I remember to download a map? :homer:

And how does one multi-quote up in this place anyhow?

quote everything you want to quote and hit reply in the upper left. the number corresponds to the number of quote you are quoting

Well alrighty then. Thanks.

I also picked up a bike last year after 15yrs of not riding. v-brakes were the new thing last time I rode. I found a bike on pinkbike.com. Trek Fuel EX-5 29er. The original owner had upgraded just about everything. Front shocks, stan's tubless wheels, shifters etc. Going from hardtail to full suspension is quite the difference. I can lock out the rear shock for uphill climbing and it makes downhill and any jumps smooth. I was happy with the upgrade to full suspension.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180708_132535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	663.5 KB ID:	63563

Last edited:
Nice!

Let's go fall down a lot at Highland.

They have a bar for us sore old fucks.

Nice!

Is that park lift up or pedal up?

Does that bike not have a dropper? If not, get one. They're great. Same thing to the Trek guy a few posts up.

Lift. You should check it out. It's not much more than an hour from Keene and it is insane.

Dropper check. I dig it. Little weird not having the seat between the legs for body English, but im learning to use my knees.

Lift. You should check it out. It's not much more than an hour from Keene and it is insane.

Dropper check. I dig it. Little weird not having the seat between the legs for body English, but im learning to use my knees.

I probably will. I have never done any park riding like that, but am for sure interested in giving it a go. Do they have pedal up trails too? I like a good climb

Is it relatively new? I grew up near Keene and worked at a shop in Peterborough when I was a teenager. And I've never heard of it. I haven't lived in NH for almost 15 years though.

Last edited:
I probably will. I have never done any park riding like that, but am for sure interested in giving it a go. Do they have pedal up trails too? I like a good climb

Is it relatively new? I grew up near Keene and worked at a shop in Peterborough when I was a teenager. And I've never heard of it. I haven't lived in NH for almost 15 years though.

I think it opened in 2008? Great place.

It was a ski area that closed 15 -20 years ago. This guy Mark has done a killer job making it a mb specific area.

There is an xc zone adjacent to the downhill trails with I believe similar elevation change for climbing. They also have wed and thursduro evening uphill events.

Top Back Refresh