What's new

Motorhome/RV Carbon Monoxide and Propane Detector with Cutoff Solenoid Replacement

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
At some point in the past 30 years, the motorhome RV and camper industry went away from CO & Propane detector alarms which controlled a propane shutoff solenoid valve. Replacements don't seem to be available according to a few internet searches as everybody is out of stock, plus they are nearly $300 for the things. Because coaches are not "enclosed spaces", the modern and hip thing is to just use a detector alarm only and not have the shutoff valve. Since that is what can be bought, that is what i'm going with. My shutoff valve still functions, so the plan is to keep it rather than replace it with some straight pipe.

existing unit, CCI Controls Pre-Tell 2 model 7719. It has shit the bed and doesn't let out 12v to open the solenoid.

20220827_141444.jpg

Picture of the back, MFG date NOV 1998, they are supposed to be replaced every 5 years. 24 is a pretty good run. 3 wires coming out the back are RED 12v from Battery, Gray 12v from shore power, Yellow 12v to solenoid.

20220827_141538.jpg

20220827_141954.jpg

And the new model Safe-T-Alert by MTI Industries 35-742-BR 35 Series Dual LP/CO Alarm - Flush Mount, Brown 2 wire, power and ground only, off Amazon for $70, with a chinese special Single Pole Single Throw switch and a 5 amp push to reset circuit breaker. $90 total for parts, with a few SPST switches and breakers extra. I went with this detector as it looked to be the closest to the existing unit in the picture and it had the lowest advertised consumption in the price point at 85ma...however, looking at the MTI website right now shows it at 108mA. Either way, not much. Ended up being all most the exact same size as the old unit, close enough i didn't have to redrill for screws, just a slight angle. https://www.mtiindustries.com/product/35-series-flush-mount/

20220827_141842.jpg

For some reason I couldn't find any of my strippers or crimpers or combos, or solder :confused: so pliers and razor blade it is, ended up needing to redo about 3 connections as the project went on.

20220827_144924.jpg

And here it is all wired together. From the 12v battery supply to the "line" terminal of the 5 amp circuit breaker, then from the "load" on the CB to the "off" side of the switch (not that it matters) and from the "on" side of the switch both the Yellow for solenoid on and Red for power to detector. Solenoid is grounded through the chassis and the detector gets a new ground ran right to the battery (-) terminal, as it is right close by. This way I'm not leaving the detector on all the time (as it is intended) so that there is no concern of it going off when nobody is around

20220827_152348.jpg

Drilled some 7/16" holes above in the plastic used to hold a fire extinguisher area to mount them, went 1" apart and 3/4" away from my solar charge controller. Because they are metric fittings and I drill standard, it was just tight enough in the plastic that I could "thread" both of them in.

20220827_154706.jpg

20220827_155521.jpg

and just because these both came with waterproof covers, I went ahead and put those on also
20220827_160845.jpg

and proof that it all works :smokin:

20220827_161631.jpg

anyways, so there is just one way to skin the cat if you ever need to replace your 3 wire detector and cutoff solenoid controller with a 2 wire CO/LPG detector only.

Well, minor update. The old dead unit wouldn't put out enough juice to activate the solenoid, now that it is straight wired, it is drawing more power than it used to, or that I remember. Can't get more than 12 hours out of the coach battery, used to be higher. No change other than this.

1) Need to do some digging and see what the proper stuff I need to give 12v to open the valve, then some amount less to maintain it open.

2) other option is to just replace the solenoid with a piece of pipe, but I like being able to hit a switch inside and know the gas is off

Any reason this rather cheap looking 10a "rated" potentiometer wouldn't do what I need?

Seems like I could set it to full pass through to start it, then just turn it down to whatever the gas shuts off at. Once there, mark it with a paint line for quick reference.

Edit: 12V-40V 10A Width PWM DC Motor Speed Controller External Potentiometer - Walmart.com

This version has a heat sink as well, which is probably worth while

Edit2 https://smile.amazon.com/Converter-...818779&sprefix=adjustable+buck,aps,185&sr=8-5

Adjustable buck vs heat sink potentiometer...anybody have any thoughts on one over the other? Turn it on, leave it for a few days or a few weeks

Last edited:
For random questions like this, I’d highly recommend this multimeter. Quality is very high for the price, and the current clamp measures DC, which is usually pricier than this. Then you can measure the 12v current going through your workaround and see if that’s your issue.

Limited-time deal: KAIWEETS HT206D Digital Clamp Meter T-RMS 6000 Counts, Multimeter Voltage Tester Auto-ranging, Measures Current Voltage Temperature Capacitance Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle (AC/DC Current) https://a.co/d/0tbyKeW

Any reason this rather cheap looking 10a "rated" potentiometer wouldn't do what I need?

Seems like I could set it to full pass through to start it, then just turn it down to whatever the gas shuts off at. Once there, mark it with a paint line for quick reference.

Edit: 12V-40V 10A Width PWM DC Motor Speed Controller External Potentiometer - Walmart.com

This version has a heat sink as well, which is probably worth while

Edit2 https://smile.amazon.com/Converter-Regulator-Adjustable-Regulated-Laboratory/dp/B0978T3JKH/

Adjustable buck vs heat sink potentiometer...anybody have any thoughts on one over the other? Turn it on, leave it for a few days or a few weeks
Heat sink type is going to waste whatever you aren't sending through as heat, so you're not going to gain any efficiency there.

Aaron Z

This article talks about "bump and hold" which is what I'm going for. Latching would be fine, but it says not good for vibration, so not sure latching would survive being mobile

So the adjustable buck boost listed at the end should be more efficient ?
I would think so.
Might want a timer relay in parallel to give it a short burst (5 seconds?) of full power, then drop to the lower amperage.
Edit: Might want to go with a current limiter (PWM?) rather than a voltage limiter as the solenoid will draw the same number of watts at a lower voltage, but a higher amperage.

Aaron Z

Is a propane leak that common that it's really an issue? My 1983 Chevy Winniebango camper thing doesn't have anything like that. Not sure it even has any alarms. "Shitter's full" when it overflows i guess.

And I hate you for reminding me 1998 was 23 years ago and not what feels like maybe 10.

Is a propane leak that common that it's really an issue? My 1983 Chevy Winniebango camper thing doesn't have anything like that. Not sure it even has any alarms. "Shitter's full" when it overflows i guess.

And I hate you for reminding me 1998 was 23 years ago and not what feels like maybe 10.
No, it's not necessary and many don't, pretty sure none of the new stuff uses them either.

I like being able to leave the valve open on the tank and control the propane with a switch inside. Makes me feel better when it is going to sit for a month or 10, or, I dunno, replacing it with a straight pipe is probably the ultimate solution

I would think so.
Might want a timer relay in parallel to give it a short burst (5 seconds?) of full power, then drop to the lower amperage.
Edit: Might want to go with a current limiter (PWM?) rather than a voltage limiter as the solenoid will draw the same number of watts at a lower voltage, but a higher amperage.

Aaron Z
As long as there is an easy knob on the front, figured just turn it up at start and then reduce it to run. Same concept as starting the stove.

Would a pulse width modulation cause any issues with the solenoid trying to slam shut or does it pulse fast enough that the valve won't have time to react?

As long as there is an easy knob on the front, figured just turn it up at start and then reduce it to run. Same concept as starting the stove.

Would a pulse width modulation cause any issues with the solenoid trying to slam shut or does it pulse fast enough that the valve won't have time to react?
It has to be set to pulse fast enough that it doesn't close between pulses.

Aaron Z

$8, this looks like the thing. Pwm, wire it in series with the current spst switch so that I'm still turning on the co detector and gas valve at the same time.

I'll just use some paint to mark the run position

No, it's not necessary and many don't, pretty sure none of the new stuff uses them either.

I like being able to leave the valve open on the tank and control the propane with a switch inside. Makes me feel better when it is going to sit for a month or 10, or, I dunno, replacing it with a straight pipe is probably the ultimate solution
How about a propane forklift solenoid? They cut flow when the key is turned off. It's just a 2 wire 12v solenoid... at least the couple I've replaced where.

How about a propane forklift solenoid? They cut flow when the key is turned off. It's just a 2 wire 12v solenoid... at least the couple I've replaced where.
As I understand it, the solenoid isn't the issue (there is already one in there) so much as controlling it and reducing the power drawn while keeping it open.

Aaron Z

$8, this looks like the thing. Pwm, wire it in series with the current spst switch so that I'm still turning on the co detector and gas valve at the same time.

I'll just use some paint to mark the run position
Laaaaaammmmmeeee.

Also, going to try again with the same style and a different brand. Knob doesn't knob, stays at 100% full time.

20230924_121826.jpg

20230924_121908.jpg

20230924_123209.jpg

At least I didn't go all the way though with mounting it. Just hooked up to the battery and tested with a meter, then tested with a light bulb to make sure I wasn't crazy

I dunno, this isn't making sense for some reason. I'm up to 3 of these PWM controllers as the second was a 2 pack. 10 amp and 2 15 amp, this whole setup is past a 5 amp fuse so even with chinese tolerances I should be well within the limits of the contraptions. Cannot get what should be measurable results :confused:

did some more internet reading and apparently with no load a DMM won't catch any voltage drop. So I went ahead and wired one of the 15 amp units all the way up.

Some pictures of the solenoid that i'm dealing with. 2 wire unit, Yellow 12VDC+ and black ground, the tank level sensor ground runs to this and then inside.

20230927_120257.jpg

20230927_120319.jpg

20230927_120456.jpg

Harness that runs to the back, yellow shutoff solenoid, white/grn tank gauge, black ground

20230927_131130.jpg

Went ahead and tapped into the ground for "motor ground" near the solenoid, just because.

20230927_132113.jpg

Tapped into the ground from the CO sensor for the "battery ground"

20230927_122927.jpg

From the output side of the toggle switch, yellow wire runs to "battery 12v+" and from the buck board "motor 12v+" runs back to the solenoid.

20230927_140245.jpg

13.4v measured across the battery side/input side.

20230927_133743.jpg

and on the output/motor side with the potentiometer pot full counter clockwise, should be longest delay between pulses, measured 12.82 vdc. Maybe the meter is just unable to read the differences :confused: at what should be closed, it does not make a difference to the flame and the solenoid opens just fine.

20230927_133800.jpg

turning the knob full clockwise measures 12.89 vdc :confused: repeatable, did this several times with the same results. Something is changing, just not sure what. Guess I can try it out with an analog meter and see if it shows anything. No change to the flame on the stove.
20230927_133835.jpg

weird....not entirely sure what i'm doing wrong and every PWM controller at these low amp ratings looks to be the exact same design and same price. Guess i'm going to just see what happens.

Well dang, now I am more confused.

playing with the first pwm controller, the 10 amp, which did not give me lower volt reading on the meter as would be expected, when connected to the rv solenoid. I.e. under load.

Hooked it up to an electric motor on one of the kidsz robot things and a 6v battery pack as the source. Sure as shit, playing with thr knob would make the motor speed up and slow down, very easy to see with the wheel attached.

Put the digital volt meter on it, lo and behold as it read 1.0v, 3.0v etc as the knob was moved and corresponding to the wheel speed. Clearly demonstrating the pulse width resulting in "average" voltage measured. 3.0vdc from 6vdc source equals 50%pulse cycle.

20230927_180846.jpg

But why would it not do that when the same controller is hooked up to a solenoid :confused: is it all simply too low amp draw? If that is the case, then I guess keeping the pwm controller on the lowest setting, max modulation, should net me lower total draw.

Wonky

Top Back Refresh