What's new

Mopar build questions

Hop

Member Number
Hey guys, good to be back. I bought a Plymouth Valiant (titled as a 68.. but I have suspicion it's a 67) a while back. Currently, it's got a running, but clapped 318 in it.

I know nothing about mopar. I've been doing some research, thinking about putting a cam and a 4bbl on the 318 to make it a little more fun to drive. But when I look at what it would cost to get a warmed over 360, seems like throwing parts and money at the 318 might be a stupid idea. This car will never see the track, but I do want a fun, reasonably quick PowerPoint. Any thoughts?

V10 trucks are cheap and you've got plenty of space to fit a V10. Even if it winds up looking ugly as fuck with 90s EFI running everywhere it will still be faster and cooler than any swap involving a magnum 360. :flipoff2:

If you don’t know what year it is then it definitely won’t know that you dropped an ls in it :flipoff2:

I wouldn't be completely adverse to an LS swap. I have no connection to mopar and no real want or need to keep it original. It's already pretty hacked up since it used to be a track car with a 440 in it.

Pic.. maybe? Trying to figure out the new forum

IMG_20201024_152218_374.jpg

As a Mopar guy, it would pain me to see a non Mopar engine in there. As a broke ass guy, it's hard to argue with the cost of an LS swap. Personally I'd look at a small block stroked Mopar or a newer Hemi swap, but again I'm a Mopar guy. It is a clean looking car from that one pic.

Duane

I'm not a mopar guy, but it would make more sense to put a magnum 318 or 360 with a carb in it, maybe with a nv3500 from a Dakota to make it fun? Those trannys have an integral bellhousing, so there's really no demand for them...Seems it would be a pretty straightforward build with cheap parts

as far as resale, I think an ls would hurt you, dodge people are pretty hardcore...

Also i think the hemi swap would be cool, but beware tranny issues, many hemis were coupled to problematic autos

I don't really give a shit about resale. We all know you're never going to get what you put in to a build back out of it. Plus this thing cost me 2k with the running (but temperamental) 318.

current trans is a 727. I did just find a motorhome 440 for 600$ .... thinking about it, but I do want it to be streetable

Also figured out that it is indeed a 68, just with a 67 front.

Last edited:
I'm not a mopar guy, but it would make more sense to put a magnum 318 or 360 with a carb in it, maybe with a nv3500 from a Dakota to make it fun? Those trannys have an integral bellhousing, so there's really no demand for them...Seems it would be a pretty straightforward build with cheap parts

as far as resale, I think an ls would hurt you, dodge people are pretty hardcore...

on this note, the factory magnum ECU and engine harness are very easy to make swap into a non-efi rig and the stock EFI manifold is about as long a runner as you can get anywhere, which makes for a great driving rig. i'm very happy with my 5.9 with a mild hughes cam and an auto.

I don't really give a shit about resale. We all know you're never going to get what you put in to a build back out of it. Plus this thing cost me 2k with the running (but temperamental) 318.

current trans is a 727. I did just find a motorhome 440 for 600$ .... thinking about it, but I do want it to be streetable

i can't think of any reason a 440 wouldn't be streetable :confused: fantastic? yes.

how much do you want to spend and how fast do you want to go :smokin:

Hughes Engines

everything mopar engine

hughes stage II 440 584 HP and 586 ft-lbs torque,

#13---440 Stage 2 Dyno test S. Fehr (hughesengines.com)

hughes stage I 440
Results: 558.7HP @ 5900RPM and 564.7 ft-lbs torque @ 4700RPM

#8---440 Stage1 Dyno Test 07/14/2002 (hughesengines.com)

:drool: yeah, you should get the motorhome 440 :laughing:

for $2500 more, hughes will sell you the edelbrock 2087 "performance package" which is heads/timing/cam/lifters/intake and have a reliable pump gas bolt on nearly 500hp :laughing: keep the 3 speed and rock like a low 3 rear end gear for highway cruising :rasta:

440 applications increase to a whopping 482HP / 528 Lb/Ft of Torque in one, simple bolt-on package

I went out to fuck with the hell-bitch tonight. Ran the engine with the valve covers off for a minute. It all looks solid.

Motor doesn't seem as clapped as I originally thought. Just worn out gaskets and carb trouble. Comp cam, 2800 stall converter.. decent headers.. I'm gonna run this until I send a rod into orbit.
I do need to address the gears. Get them back down in a reasonable range. And new springs. And new brakes.... should be on the road in 20 years:laughing:

In the mean time I'm hunting for a 440 to build while I slowly kill the 318

hughes stage II 440 584 HP and 586 ft-lbs torque,

#13---440 Stage 2 Dyno test S. Fehr (hughesengines.com)

hughes stage I 440
Results: 558.7HP @ 5900RPM and 564.7 ft-lbs torque @ 4700RPM

#8---440 Stage1 Dyno Test 07/14/2002 (hughesengines.com)

:drool: yeah, you should get the motorhome 440 :laughing:

for $2500 more, hughes will sell you the edelbrock 2087 "performance package" which is heads/timing/cam/lifters/intake and have a reliable pump gas bolt on nearly 500hp :laughing: keep the 3 speed and rock like a low 3 rear end gear for highway cruising :rasta:

440 applications increase to a whopping 482HP / 528 Lb/Ft of Torque in one, simple bolt-on package

440 is gonna be the way of the future, no doubt. But it'll be fun to build on the stand while I figure the rest of this thing out. 71/4 rears gotta go. Needs some new springs out back so I can stop looking like a cholo

Top Back Refresh