What's new

Mittler Bros vs Pro-Tools End Mill Tube Notcher

Sean

Member Number
Looking at the single speed on both (roughly 130RPM) and the adjustable vise for offset notches. I only work with up to 2" tubing....

The Mittler Bros is about $125 less or so (if the Woodward fab price is legit....Pro-Tools direct is about $500 more than the MB)....but has a 1 hp motor while the Pro-Tools has a 1.5 HP. Mittler (the one I'm looking at anyway) is 2" capacity. Pro-Tools is 2.5". If comparing apples to more alike apples, the MB single speed with the 2.375" capacity and adjustable vise is $4900....so within $200 or so of the Pro-Tools MSRP.

Anyone have experience with which might be better?

I was actually just getting quotes on a lathe for a similar setup but a horizontal mill may make more sense

Last edited:
My lathe would probably be really good for that now that I think about it. :idea:

My lathe would probably be really good for that now that I think about it. :idea:
Not sure how hard it would be to find a good x/y rotating vise to solid mount and make it all work though....

Not sure how hard it would be to find a good x/y rotating vise to solid mount and make it all work though....

My toolpost is big enough can just plop a mill in the head stock and make a tube clamp that goes on a quick change holder.

A heavier version of a milling attachment, fitted with a pipe vise would probably work really well.

Set your vertical height to center for whatever tube size you're cutting. And you can rotate and set your horizontal and vertical rotation to do compound angles.

I have this same one for my atlas. Not heavy enough for any real tube, but could be duplicated on a bigger machine.
verticalslide.jpg

Top Back Refresh