What's new

Mini snow cat build.

Dethmachinefab

Red Skull Member
Member Number
This project started as a build for one of my customers as a maintenance vehicle. Project was canceled and it's been stuck in a storage trailer for a few years. Recently traded some work for the parts.

1000000047.jpg

1000000048.jpg

Picked up yesterday.

1000000036.jpg

Now I never got much further than assembly. But rolling them into the truck something was clearly wrong. At first I thought the sprocket pitch was wrong but it seems it has a guide lug interference problem with the anti ratcheting sprockets. (Has teeth that poke through the track windows.)

1000000045.jpg

This is increasing the pitch dia, and prevents proper meshing. The inside drive lugs are good.

1000000046.jpg

So I'm going to clip off every other guide that's at a window and it should fit properly.

I have the variable displacement hydraulic pumps, and fixed displacement motors.

Two engine possibilities I have are a 2 cyl cat diesel, and a deutz 3cyl that is a genset. I would keep it a genset and drive pumps off the front side. Might be too big though.

An air cooled gas twin is another possibility, and much easier.

Yesssss

Looks like a tube top frame and bogie wheels, any more info on the design? I have been dreaming of something similar for YEARS.

Tracks and drivers just different pitches?

Yesssss

Looks like a tube top frame and bogie wheels, any more info on the design? I have been dreaming of something similar for YEARS.

Tracks and drivers just different pitches?
I thought that last night, but it was dark and I didn't spend much time. Measurements look good for pitch matching. The little guide nubs keep the track from seating, changing the pitch diameter.

I thought that last night, but it was dark and I didn't spend much time. Measurements look good for pitch matching. The little guide nubs keep the track from seating, changing the pitch diameter.
If I remember correctly, some snowmobiles have a drive Cog that is v-shaped so the Nubs go up the middle of them as well.

What are your expectations for this? Just something different than a SxS on tracks?
It's original purpose was to drive along train tracks to unlock a switch to a spur.

It's future purpose now is a money and time sink, which eventually will become a go anywhere utility vehicle with remote operating capabilities. It is to provide direct fire operations in wetlands and winter conditions during future conflicts.

Re check your pitch and the part number on your tracks. Common track pitches are 2.5 ,3" and newer Polaris uses 2.8. Your extrovert drives shouldn't need trimmed if the pitch is right. Some tracks have every other window cut out, you can cut these windows out with a Dremel.

It's original purpose was to drive along train tracks to unlock a switch to a spur.

It's future purpose now is a money and time sink, which eventually will become a go anywhere utility vehicle with remote operating capabilities. It is to provide direct fire operations in wetlands and winter conditions during future conflicts.

I'm all for neat builds, but I'm having a hard time seeing how a factory enclosed and hvac cab sxs with tracks bolted on isn't better?

Hoping you prove me wrong though :grinpimp:

Re check your pitch and the part number on your tracks. Common track pitches are 2.5 ,3" and newer Polaris uses 2.8. Your extrovert drives shouldn't need trimmed if the pitch is right. Some tracks have every other window cut out, you can cut these windows out with a Dremel.
1000000045.jpg

These track nubs are interfering.

1000000046.jpg

Track is 3" pitch. Sprocket pitch line is also 3". No part numbers on the sprockets. Inner drive lugs do line up.

I'm all for neat builds, but I'm having a hard time seeing how a factory enclosed and hvac cab sxs with tracks bolted on isn't better?

Hoping you prove me wrong though :grinpimp:
Cause it's not better. :flipoff2:

Why buy some golf cart with bolt on tracks when I can finish this project. Zero interest in sxs track stuff. If it can't skid turn its junk.

I'd call Avid. They are pretty handy with drivers. You can also look at billet Wahl brother drivers.

I'd call Avid. They are pretty handy with drivers. You can also look at billet Wahl brother drivers.
It's a fully clipped camoplast challenger extreme 9175m. All the other tracks don't have guide nubs at windows, just this one. These are not the drive lugs, they mesh properly.

If I had this type it would work.

1668221234981.png

I have this type.

1668221421128.png

Cause it's not better. :flipoff2:

Why buy some golf cart with bolt on tracks when I can finish this project. Zero interest in sxs track stuff. If it can't skid turn its junk.

Fwiw, these are made 5 Mins from me. Just thought you would like them.

I also think they're really cool, but for the price you could have 2 brand new sxs's with cabs, tracks and a top speed over 8 mph :laughing::flipoff2:

Like I said, I'm all in on your build :smokin:

Speaking of skid turning, I do feel like you have the wrong type of tracks for a slow moving cat though. If you look at most snow cats that skid turn, they have comically wide tracks that often round up on the edges to prevent them from digging when turning. None of them I've ever seen have deep lugs like a sled. I'm picturing these really wanting to dig to China when making a tight turn.

I'm picturing these lugs really wanting to rip off when making a tight turn.
FIFY

That looks like a camoplast challenger extreme, I can wreck one in a hurry riding in anything but powder. Personally I'd just sell those and buy something much less aggressive that fits your drivers instead of trying to trim lugs.

1000000110.jpg

He she sits until I can dedicate time and space for it in the future.

As far as the track pitch/sprocket stuff goes everything is good. The track with the tensioner tightened up rolls around fine. I've just got to trim off the little nubs at the windows and it's perfect.

Hey man. You can’t just start a build thread, pick up parts, and then put it all in storage. You’ve got to get it 95% built and then not have time for it for 3-4 years. :flipoff2:

Hey man. You can’t just start a build thread, pick up parts, and then put it all in storage. You’ve got to get it 95% built and then not have time for it for 3-4 years. :flipoff2:
I feel this. Then again, I don't think he's had to pack up and move six times in the middle of every project.

I've got a few big jobs to get through the next 2-3 months, then I need to fix up and build the body for the little crane truck before I think about this project.

Everyone was asking for a build thread, I never promised it would be timely. :flipoff2:

I've got a few big jobs to get through the next 2-3 months, then I need to fix up and build the body for the little crane truck before I think about this project.

Everyone was asking for a build thread, I never promised it would be timely. :flipoff2:
Then you need to finish my bike roller.

Top Back Refresh