What's new

Mid life career change

Brian468

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Anybody ever done it? Been pretty sick in the hospital for a few days with fucked up blood pressure, doctor told me today I might wanna think about a career change given all the injuries I've amassed and the amount of heavy metals in my blood, I thought about driving since I've had a cdl but with my dui barely 3 years old I doubt I can find someone willing to hire me on, tell me your success stories so I can pass the time till I make parole.

put out some feelers, i'd bet you could get hired as a driver with a DUI over 6 months old pretty easy.

Cush 100k/year job? probably not. enough to pay the bills though? probably

A guy that I used to work with in aircraft that got laid off scored a job driving people to medical appointments. It took some company paid training for a few weeks and bam, $30 an hour. That is a very decent wage in KS. Basically they cant find anyone that can piss clean.

He did say that the menthalatum smeered inside his mask would not cover the old lady pussy stench on a 3 hour drive. :lmao::lmao::barf::barf:

I'm not stuck on driving, I've always wanted to learn how to run equipment I just can't go to work $14 an hour, especially when I know my future employer would make me start fixing shit, which would again be fine if I was paid half decently for it, I'm just spit balling ideas since I've got nothing better to do being stuck in North Dakota.

I'm not stuck on driving, I've always wanted to learn how to run equipment I just can't go to work $14 an hour, especially when I know my future employer would make me start fixing shit, which would again be fine if I was paid half decently for it, I'm just spit balling ideas since I've got nothing better to do being stuck in North Dakota.

for $14/hr as an operator, you can pretty well tell them to get fucked it they don't want to pay you more to do more :laughing:

I got away from the tools around 10 years ago, did a stint working on the railroad and then went and got my CDL a few years back. Last year I made 6 figures but what I was doing is kinda unique. In any case you have got to get that BP under control to pass the medical for a CDL and for most outfits be able to piss clean. The dirty license is kinda like pissing clean, there are outfits who won't care and others who won't even look at you.

Mechanic for the most part, fished when I was a kid but always wound up in the engine room.

Well...if you want to move to this shit-hole, Commie of a state, I could get you a teaching credential to teach shop/auto class in a day for like $100.

No degree needed, just 1 college level US Constitution class, take like 3 classes on "how to teach" in the next 5 years, and BAM! Instantly credentialed and hireable by Thursday on a prelim credential.

Average starting salary in CA is about $56k/year. Many districts will bump you up the payscale based on years of experience in the real world, so you would statt higher. My district tops out at $105k... if you get lucky and get an extra class to teach (4 a day instead of 3) they pay you almost 25% more. There are PE teachers at my school making over $125k not much money, but no stress, off at 3 everyday, never work weekends, 2 weeks in the fall off, 2 weeks off around Christmas, 2 weeks off for Spring break and ALL SUMMER OFF. 3 hour and a half classes everyday equates to four and a half hours of teaching, and a hour and a half "prep" for grading/lesson planning. And the pension is tits. Like big glittery stripper tits with eraser nipples. So much so that its bankrupting CA.

I have turned 4-5 people into HS teachers that would have never thought of that career. One buddy was a cop who saw a 12 year old girl get her brains blown out..stress got to him, now he is teaching law enforcement classes and could not be happier. Got another who had his own cabinetry business...now he is teaching woodshop.

While CA sucks balls, one thing they got right is getting people with real world experience into career tech classes in its high schools. Thats how all this works.

Well...if you want to move to this shit-hole, Commie of a state, I could get you a teaching credential to teach shop/auto class in a day for like $100.

No degree needed, just 1 college level US Constitution class, take like 3 classes on "how to teach" in the next 5 years, and BAM! Instantly credentialed and hireable by Thursday on a prelim credential.

Average starting salary in CA is about $56k/year. Many districts will bump you up the payscale based on years of experience in the real world, so you would statt higher. My district tops out at $105k... if you get lucky and get an extra class to teach (4 a day instead of 3) they pay you almost 25% more. There are PE teachers at my school making over $125k not much money, but no stress, off at 3 everyday, never work weekends, 2 weeks in the fall off, 2 weeks off around Christmas, 2 weeks off for Spring break and ALL SUMMER OFF. 3 hour and a half classes everyday equates to four and a half hours of teaching, and a hour and a half "prep" for grading/lesson planning. And the pension is tits. Like big glittery stripper tits with eraser nipples. So much so that its bankrupting CA.

I have turned 4-5 people into HS teachers that would have never thought of that career. One buddy was a cop who saw a 12 year old girl get her brains blown out..stress got to him, now he is teaching law enforcement classes and could not be happier. Got another who had his own cabinetry business...now he is teaching woodshop.

While CA sucks balls, one thing they got right is getting people with real world experience into career tech classes in its high schools. Thats how all this works.

WTF?! Over $125k a year isn't much money? Even in Cali? Shit maybe I should think about it! :flipoff2:

Reactions: DMG
WTF?! Over $125k a year isn't much money? Even in Cali? Shit maybe I should think about it! :flipoff2:

No shit. In downtown LA or SD that's about minimum wage but in NorCal that isn't all that bad.

Reactions: DMG
Shoot, I'm in the same boat. "Retiring" from the DoD @37, been turning wrenches for money since I was 15 and looking to do something different.

Are there any companies in your area dedicated to building roads? There can be good opportunities with those companies if you are willing to be gone during the week. Know a lot of guys/gals that work for a local company that travels all over the Midwest. Some of them spend all day driving off-road haul trucks for $25-30/hr. The ones with some skill can move up into large excavators or the gps controlled graders and dozers. The guys running the portable rock crusher plants are making $30-40/hr but that’s a hard gig to get.

I was an aircraft mechanic for 7 years and got sick of where I was working not giving raises to anyone. Found an add for the high school aviation program on the airfield and decided to apply. Went for an interview and got a call by the time I got home that I was hired. I ended up getting layed off the same day I told my boss that I got a new job🙄. It actually been pretty good so far. Most of the kids I deal with are good and the shitty ones generally dont make it. Pay is pretty decent with good benefits and the program is well funded. We even have 3 flyable aircraft. I just need to work on getting my pilots license to be able to use them.

I was an aircraft mechanic for 7 years and got sick of where I was working not giving raises to anyone. Found an add for the high school aviation program on the airfield and decided to apply. Went for an interview and got a call by the time I got home that I was hired. I ended up getting layed off the same day I told my boss that I got a new job🙄. It actually been pretty good so far. Most of the kids I deal with are good and the shitty ones generally dont make it. Pay is pretty decent with good benefits and the program is well funded. We even have 3 flyable aircraft. I just need to work on getting my pilots license to be able to use them.

That's neat. I was accepted to East Coast AeroTech way back in the day. Still often wonder what would have become of me I followed that career. I still have a ember of interest of getting into the field. However, I think its a bit too late for me.

I'd love a career change. I'm pigeonholed here with the benefits though. These walls are awfully tight in here. :rasta:

That's neat. I was accepted to East Coast AeroTech way back in the day. Still often wonder what would have become of me I followed that career. I still have a ember of interest of getting into the field. However, I think its a bit too late for me.

I'd love a career change. I'm pigeonholed here with the benefits though. These walls are awfully tight in here. :rasta:

I went to school with people in their late 40s and early 50s. Its not too late if you want to do it.

I started my engineering degree at 30 and did fine. Took a pay cut at the beginning, but after 3 or 4 years I had caught up.

I went to school with people in their late 40s and early 50s. Its not too late if you want to do it.

My favorite students are the non traditional students doing exactly this. They bust their ass because they've actually seen how the world works.

Safety guy. Pretty easy and pays decent, you can make 6 figures pretty easily if you are halfway personable and understand how business works.

Safety guy. Pretty easy and pays decent, you can make 6 figures pretty easily if you are halfway personable and understand how business works.

The only reason it pays decent is because doing a useless job is soul crushing.

If you want to do a useless job get into compliance auditing for the gambling industry. It's equally useless but pays more.

I never really thought about teaching for a living, when I was a kid I absolutely hated having to show anyone how to do anything, now I enjoy teaching kids how do to things and not kill themselves.

And I don't live in North Dakota, I was on my way to Kalispell for a job interview and stopped in Killdeer to see if any of my old contacts were still around in case it fell through, I'm basically homeless since my Ford gig got shut down in November, I don't have a problem living on the road but eventually I need employment or I'll be broke again.

BNSF would be a great gig for me but they take forever to hire, fist time I tried with them I got a call back 9 months later.

The only reason it pays decent is because doing a useless job is soul crushing.

If you want to do a useless job get into compliance auditing for the gambling industry. It's equally useless but pays more.

Hey man I'll collect the money:D

I agree with you, but it all depends who you work for. A company that views you as a partner is less soul crushing than one that views you as a nessesary evil.

Really it's a pretty easy job that can be rewarding and less stressfull than being in operations somewhere under constant stress and pressure to hit numbers all day.

My favorite students are the non traditional students doing exactly this. They bust their ass because they've actually seen how the world works.

My parents were in HS when the soldiers returned from WWII, and many of them went back to school to get their diploma and they weren't fucking around. Some kid would act the fool in a class and the Vets were known to give them the look to STFU.:usa:

Top Back Refresh