What's new

Microwave Drawers?

Lee

Guild of Calamitous Intent
Member Number
Loc
The Natural State
Anyone have a built in microwave drawer?

I like the idea of freeing up counter space. I don't think I want to deal with a powered drawer, I've seen several you push a button and the drawer powers in & out, seems like something else to break and render your expensive microwave inoperable. I think I would rather have a handle you physically pull the drawer open with.

Any 1st hand experiences, recommendations, regrets?

No thanks...don't like how low they are where you can't see in and watch. This is what we did:
12375021_742622079133_2101106116739819892_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=MOEAvH4ZDCc...jpg

They're great if you have younger kids who need to use it or elderly people who can't reach into an over the range one anymore. Outside of that, most of our customers end up hating them.

They're great if you have younger kids who need to use it or elderly people who can't reach into an over the range one anymore. Outside of that, most of our customers end up hating them.

Also a good point, over the range SUCK even more than the drawers. Their exhaust vents are weak and noisy but worse still, you have to reach over the potentially hot stove with stuff cooking to use it...good luck coordinating that death trap.

Also a good point, over the range SUCK even more than the drawers. Their exhaust vents are weak and noisy but worse still, you have to reach over the potentially hot stove with stuff cooking to use it...good luck coordinating that death trap.

Agree with the vents on these sucking. We have one which vents back into the house. I miss having an actual vent fan.

I hate the idea of having a wall mounted microwave. For the moment I am stuck with one above the oven. I would much prefer a small 1cu/ft 1000w oven in the nearby pantry. I myself rarely use the microwave. When I toss the wall mounted microwave; in will go a double oven; something like a nice reliable GE. Fuck this Wolf crap!
oven.jpg

Wolf= High end crap! Poorly engineered and unreliable! Don't drink that Wolf Koolaid bull shit.

People still use microwaves? I use my insta pot air fryer for most everything. Not as fast as a micro but way better taste. Then theres the toaster oven.

My inlaws house just has a cupboard at that height for a microwave. The nice thing is that you don't have to buy a fancy microwave that matches everything else, but it's not on the counter top.

I just built a countertop microwave into our island. Other than my 2 year old being able to throw metal stuff into it and set the timer for 41:59, I like it. Plus if it dies a new one is $150 and just sits in place and plugs in.

The drawers are like $1,500 and don’t do anything my setup doesn’t, besides keep you from leaning over slightly. I’d sort of get it from a high end designer standpoint if they could accept matching cabinet doors on the face to hide them, but they don’t. :homer:

People still use microwaves? I use my insta pot air fryer for most everything. Not as fast as a micro but way better taste. Then theres the toaster oven.

Come to think of it.... Maybe once or twice a year. Yeah; it heats leftover rice. :rolleyes:

Ours sits down in the island. Slightly less convenient than having it at eye level or on the counter but I use thing thing maybe twice a week so oh well

We use ours pretty much every day? Softening butter or warming a drink or defrosting things or reheating leftovers. We have a toaster oven and everything else you could want, but still the microwave gets a lot of use

I just built a countertop microwave into our island. Other than my 2 year old being able to throw metal stuff into it and set the timer for 41:59, I like it. Plus if it dies a new one is $150 and just sits in place and plugs in.

The drawers are like $1,500 and don’t do anything my setup doesn’t, besides keep you from leaning over slightly. I’d sort of get it from a high end designer standpoint if they could accept matching cabinet doors on the face to hide them, but they don’t. :homer:

Pics please

Wolf= High end crap! Poorly engineered and unreliable! Don't drink that Wolf Koolaid bull shit.

You got the cheap crap. :flipoff2:

The wolf I generally get to deal with is great. I'm talking about $3k microwaves and $40k ranges. :grinpimp:

Resi units are all garbage. But the commercial Wolf will hold up for a long, long time.

They do have matching cabinet doors. You just have to spend the money to have your cabinet maker do the micro drawer face.

I've seen several that had a blank front setup to screw a cabinet face too. You don't find them at your normal box stores. Find the store selling the $15k fridges and $40k commercial ranges and they'll be able to source it.:flipoff2:

Pics please

Don’t mind the temporary plywood countertop or missing doors/drawer :flipoff2:.

They sell trim kits for countertop microwaves that screw onto standard size openings, but I just built this one to the right dimensions and it sits on the shelf fine without moving around.

Click image for larger version Name:	44E7BE48-A0CF-43C3-A5EE-128692D05C4B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	636.0 KB ID:	125340

Don’t mind the temporary plywood countertop or missing doors/drawer :flipoff2:.

They sell trim kits for countertop microwaves that screw onto standard size openings, but I just built this one to the right dimensions and it sits on the shelf fine without moving around.

Looks nice. How tall is your family? I am 6' 5 kids are tall. The height of the over the range microwave works for us. If we had a bigger kitchen I would do a microwave above a wall oven.

I hate the idea of having a wall mounted microwave. For the moment I am stuck with one above the oven. I would much prefer a small 1cu/ft 1000w oven in the nearby pantry. I myself rarely use the microwave. When I toss the wall mounted microwave; in will go a double oven; something like a nice reliable GE. Fuck this Wolf crap!

You going gas or electric? We just priced them last year and gas was over 5k for the cheapie. The one i wanted was over 8k. We went electric for around 3k. Kitchen aide is the brand, works fine, no issues for the first year anyway:laughing:
Our Mike is on the counter in the pantry as well. Works fine, out of the way, and easy to get to it needed.

Last edited:
Looks nice. How tall is your family? I am 6' 5 kids are tall. The height of the over the range microwave works for us. If we had a bigger kitchen I would do a microwave above a wall oven.

I’m 6’ and the Mrs. 5’10”. I don’t have to bend over much or squat to use it, I just lean forward a bit like you do when you pick a glass up off a coffee table.

If you’re tall and have an island, I’d build it at 40-42” bar height so you don’t have to hunch over while cutting stuff.

We we have a gas stove and I like to cook with cast iron, so I wanted a proper vent hood above it, otherwise the microwave there would have been fine.

Top Back Refresh