What's new

Metalcloaks JKU lift?

Monkeys

Redhead weakness.
Member Number
Anyone here running it?

Took the ole JKUR out a bit yesterday and it did as expected but damn if its too low.

Metalcloaks bushings have me intrigued, and I hear it rides well.

A couple guys in my group run them. the parts seem to be quality. I am using their joints on my chevy build. Living in the rust belt I like that they zinc plate everything. I'm not a fan of those 6 pack shocks they have though.

I have a lot of MC stuff.

disclaimer: I’m a fan.

I put the 3.5 game changer kit on my 17 JKUR not long after I bought the Jeep new. I’ve got a little over 60k miles on my Jeep and I’d guess about 90% of those miles are HWY miles. I don’t wheel a lot but when I do I tend to shy away from the bypasses. Don’t want to say go hard because frankly that just too relative. I’ve been to Windrock, Hot Springs, SMORR etc. and run just about everything short of the buggy only trails.

I’ve had ZERO problems with any of the MC products I have. The customer service has always been top notch. The ride quality of the kit was absolutely like stock if not better. No handling problems. I went with their RockSport shocks for the cost saving and I’m just now considering new shocks due to wear, and honestly may just go with a new set of the rocksports. I installed the kit myself on the floor with basic tools. Instructions were complete and easy to follow, good videos available.

My honest opinion is, if your looking for a complete kit, and willing to spend the money for the quality MC Is hard to beat. I’m not saying that other decent stuff isn’t available but you won’t be disappointed if you go MC.

I run 37” nittos with upgraded axle shafts and C gussets.
Other MC products on my JK:
Steering kit
UnderCloak
Aluminum fenders
Inner fenders
EVAP relocation kit
All good quality, installed without problems and great fit/finish.
the only issue I have w/MC is, you take a pretty good hit on shipping but they do run a couple of sales a year that offer free shipping. I suspect Labor Day will be the next one, if you’re ready to pull the trigger get signed up for their eMail notification and be ready to order, the savings are substantial if you can avoid the shipping.

this post was not a paid advertisement in spite of sounding like one.
Best of Luck, happy wheeling

edit: forgot to mention, my bushings/joints are still in great shape, I keep an eye on them because I’ve expected them to wear. Also I’m heavy and have had zero issues with the coils, they’re still holding up like new.

Attachments

• 583841FA-A1D3-4C11-B112-3B02129C7EB9.jpeg
    583841FA-A1D3-4C11-B112-3B02129C7EB9.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 39
  • AE50907D-729E-4004-9995-1FF0251E2620.jpeg
    AE50907D-729E-4004-9995-1FF0251E2620.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I've had a Metalcloak lift on my JKU since 2014. I have a friend with a Metalcloak lift on a heavily loaded JKU turned into an expedition style truck with one tons and 40's. The lift itself is amazing, but the real reason I'd recommend them is cause of their customer service. I was concerned about the joints looking a little cracked after 4 years. They sent me out new ones, no questions asked and didn't even let me pay for shipping. I called them just to order new ones. They refused to let me pay. My friend's Jeep is almost 8000 pounds and broke a 4.5 inch rear spring. He called them to get the 5.5" ones due to the rear weight and they sent him the 5.5" free because they said the 4.5" one shouldn't have broken. He sent pictures to them to show that the Jeep is more like an F-350 with a heavy service box on it now and that the spring was overloaded for years. He tried to pay for the new springs because he felt Metalcloak did nothing wrong and the failure was due to years of overloading. They refused to let him pay and upgraded him to the 5.5" springs. The companie's customer service is unreal. If you're on facebook, join the Metalcloak Owners Club. You'll see just how good they are. Again, the lift itself is amazing and you'll love it. It rides great, flexes great, handles changing loads great, and is tough as all hell. Lots of companies make great lift kits, but I don't know of any other with customer service anywhere near as good as Metalcloak. I highly recommend them.

I really enjoy my Metalcloak lift. I think they make quality parts and have great service. I imagine they will have a 10% off with free shipping flash sale this coming holiday.

If you live in the rust belt I would still paint the zinc plated parts. I think the bushings offer a comfortable ride while still allowing for great articulation. I'm using some of their bushings in another project. If you really get into maximizing your articulation beyond typical bolt-on affair, the bushings will wear quicker.

Metalcloak lifts run tall when vehicles are stock weight and keep the factory rake.

The more complete lift with 8 arms will make a big difference in NVH. I even added the axle side upper bushings. I would also add their 4 Durospring bumpstops for under $100 when ordering a lift kit. They are a great value.

I have heard good things about their budget Rockport shocks but I have the 6Paks.

I like the 6Pak shocks but they are not for everyone. They work great in the brackets that MC provides as long as you are running 35s and using MC Overline flares. Once you differ from that combo you are wasting travel by using the provided MC brackets and need to alter shock mount locations.

I run 37s and Overline flares; I lowered the front shock mounts 2" to maximize the 15" travel. In the rear I have redone my control arm mounts to gain clearance I have raised the lower shock mounts about another 2". I run 15" shocks front and rear. I unseat the coil springs front and rear and my rear driveshaft on my 2 Door can't handle full droop. The shocks are rebuildable by MC only; normal rebuild cost $75 per shock, damaged shock rebuild cost $150. Generally you can go 2-3 years between rebuilds but that depends on usage. They require 150psi of Nitrogen in both chambers. I recharge mine annually with a kit I purchased from E-bay.

I think their skid plates are very good but only offered in steel. I like their steering but I think there are better options depending on what you are looking for. You can't go wrong with the steering but if you get to 3.5+ lift and what a draglink flip, you may want to look at other options. MC doesn't push for draglink flip until 4.5+ lift.

I really enjoy my Overline flares that I had painted locally. I have heard of quality issues with their powder coat in rust belt/salty conditions. I don't believe they sell the aluminum flares for JKs anymore.

I like the vented inner fenders but that required me to go back to a stock airbox ( this would probably be true for most brands). I think there are other quality inner fenders that I would have looked at but I was concerned with the 6Pak shock compatibility.

I like the firm, sporty feel of their springs and 6Pak shocks. It makes the Jeep handle very well and I dive it aggressively on the road for a Jeep on 37s. The firm/sporty ride does absorb bumps well and still articulates great off-road. It feels good at higher speeds on fire roads and I can often go faster than friends with other brands of lifts. That doesn't compare to a quality coilover lift kit; I don't pretend to be a racer.

Does the 3.5" kit require driveshafts? I have read conflicting limits to a factory driveshaft, especially manual vs auto (I have an auto)

Another fan of MetalCloak's Duroflex joints here. I've got their control arms on my XJ and love them. Nice ride, super quiet, no adjustments or maintenance to worry about and no parts that need replacing every year. They flex great too.

Does the 3.5" kit require driveshafts? I have read conflicting limits to a factory driveshaft, especially manual vs auto (I have an auto)
I believe at 3.5 it depends on far you push the limits of your flexibility/droop
I didn’t risk it and installed Adams front and rear.
My suggestion if budget is a concern (it is with me), try things out without a shaft and see how it goes, the thing I hear the most is that the boot on stock shaft can rub a tear.
side note hear:is the concern for exhaust extension, I did not and have zero issues.
I have auto transmission

You can always throw on a set of exhaust spacers until you decide if you need to change driveshafts. The stock JK driveshafts are stronger than the 1310s that most people go to. The Rzeppa is just not happy at extreme angles. 3-3.5" will be fine for 10's of thousands of miles. My opinion is run it until it glows and explodes. If you need a set of spacers, I think I have a set sitting in my garage somewhere.

MC is fine. The gold is tacky but whatevs. Their duroflex joints don't need maint which is nice.

Once the rubber rips, all the grease gets flung out and you'll get the clicking or bird chirping sounds telling you it's time for replacement.
I did two trips clicking my way up everything before I got a new front shaft.

Top Back Refresh