What's new

Meow! Crunch!

Isn't it illegal to receive these things yet ? If so, that would mean another effort to get them out of the country to Mexico. I worry about my Explorer out on the street curb here is Sacramento. Daughter's car is safe in garage where cars are supposed to be instead of mountains of SHIT piled up :lmao:

Having a couple of element bait cars would be great, just wait for someone to crawl under it and run up and kick them square in the nuts.
OMG I hate prank vids by and large and always expect somebody to get shot for their stupidity, but the bait pranks fucking KILL me, instant karma to a thief. This would be GOLD. Paintball full auto to the sack while they struggle to climb back out and hit their head on everything on the way.

Isn't it illegal to receive these things yet ? If so, that would mean another effort to get them out of the country to Mexico. I worry about my Explorer out on the street curb here is Sacramento. Daughter's car is safe in garage where cars are supposed to be instead of mountains of SHIT piled up :lmao:
I think going after the buyers of the stolen cats is the way to go. As long as some shady scrapyard is willing to pay $50-250 for them this is going to keep happening. Maybe stamping the VIN on the cat and only accepting them as scrap with a copy of registration or invoice for work from a shop? This is probably how we get so many regulations we can't breathe.

What year is the Explorer? Most domestic vehicles are not targeted as highly as Japanese trucks and SUVs (again they use more or better precious metals, trucks and SUVs because you don't have to jack them up and risk being crushed).

A good way to find out if the car is a popular target is to see if protective shields are sold for it. You can find a bunch of companies making theft shields for the Prius and Element for example.

Having a couple of element bait cars would be great, just wait for someone to crawl under it and run up and kick them square in the nuts.

Most of the exhaust system is supported with rubber hangers. If you disconnected it from the engine end you could connect 120v to the exhaust pipe. Thief would get a good shock and it would likely ruin their stolen sawzall

I worry about my Explorer out on the street curb here is Sacramento.
I almost lost a cat down on my Tacoma in Sacramento about 15 years ago. They got foiled by a single fully rusted bolt. Driving ~2 miles each way to the hardware store for bolts was interesting. I kept waiting to get pulled over:lmao: I ended up welding a bunch of rebar on and around the connections:grinpimp:

I recently dropped a derelict Outboard off for scrap at Schnitzer in Rancho Cordova CA. They are a large enterprise apparently and are multi state. They required a thumbprint in addition to DL.

Most of the exhaust system is supported with rubber hangers. If you disconnected it from the engine end you could connect 120v to the exhaust pipe. Thief would get a good shock and it would likely ruin their stolen sawzall
Disconnecting it from the engine would "encourage" them to put a hand on it to hold it still.
If you want to have some real fun, get a good (4+ Joule) fence charger, and hook that to the exhaust, then ground the frame/body...

Aaron Z

I think going after the buyers of the stolen cats is the way to go. As long as some shady scrapyard is willing to pay $50-250 for them this is going to keep happening. Maybe stamping the VIN on the cat and only accepting them as scrap with a copy of registration or invoice for work from a shop? This is probably how we get so many regulations we can't breathe.
Hey dumbass, that will just create middle men. Slimy junk flippers and shop owners will be happy to write invoices and pay the meth heads for the cats.

I recently dropped a derelict Outboard off for scrap at Schnitzer in Rancho Cordova CA. They are a large enterprise apparently and are multi state. They required a thumbprint in addition to DL.
That's because you live in a crime ridden shithole. The one near me DGAF because they don't need to.

This isn't a scrapyard problem. It is a government encouraging petty theft problem.

FYI CARB cats supposedly have more precious metal in them, which is to make them last longer rather than work any better, so there is that, but I still agree the huge difference in price is bullshit.

When my friend got it stolen from his Element, the bill (to insurance) was $3k each time. I crawled under there just for fun and it's a $600 rockauto CARB complaint cat. I'd be curious to know what the non-insurance cost of the job would be
Perhaps $600 + some mark up along with an hour or two of labor... so maybe $1,000? :flipoff2:

That's because you live in a crime ridden shithole. The one near me DGAF because they don't need to.

This isn't a scrapyard problem. It is a government encouraging petty theft problem.

Settle down Skippy. You don't really know a single thing about where I live or the neighborhood my car is parked in. I think you might agree that your statement is at once the answer and the fail. The gov makes laws, code and enforces them. A law regulating the acceptance or any other applicable action on used cats is the government. As is the enforcement. But its easier to cut off the demand, which is the scrap industry, than to try and detect, catch, prosecute every single petty criminal. Yes I called you Skippy because you spweewed on my hood. Cliff notes - gov regulates the scrapyard. See my post where they had to collect a thumbprint for a scrap outboard engine. :idea:

Settle down Skippy. You don't really know a single thing about where I live or the neighborhood my car is parked in. I think you might agree that your statement is at once the answer and the fail. The gov makes laws, code and enforces them. A law regulating the acceptance or any other applicable action on used cats is the government. As is the enforcement. But its easier to cut off the demand, which is the scrap industry, than to try and detect, catch, prosecute every single petty criminal. Yes I called you Skippy because you spweewed on my hood. Cliff notes - gov regulates the scrapyard. See my post where they had to collect a thumbprint for a scrap outboard engine. :idea:
You might live in a nice neighborhood but your crime situation and the steps your local businesses need to take to not draw ire from the thugs you voted for are a reflection of state level policy.

1. happy to hear read that story. fawk every one of these theives

2. making me think about chopping off the cat(s) from the Escalade soon, once it becomes a true yard-only truck

Well last night was attempted cat theft #3 for my buddies Honda Element in less than a year, I say attempted because the last time it was stolen, the insurance company also paid to have some anti-theft stuff installed and it seems to have worked. The sawzall blade looks like it went right through the 3/8" round stock that was welded along the pipe, red paint from a fresh blade left along the edges of the cuts front and back of the cat, but the wire rope that was also welded along the length seems to be what got them to give up and move on. Pipes are completely cut front and back of the cat, and it's just sorta hanging there by the wire rope. At least the thieves didn't get what they wanted!

Target of opportunity.

Oscar Mayer’s Wienermobile had to be towed in Las Vegas after it fell victim to one of the fastest-growing crimes in America​

BYCHLOE TAYLOR
February 14, 2023 at 5:42 AM MST
GettyImages-1315756305.jpg

Oscar Mayer's Wienermobile, pictured in 2019, had its catalytic converter stolen in Las Vegas.
MEDIANEWS GROUP/READING EAGLE VIA GETTY IMAGES
Oscar Mayer’s iconic Wienermobile couldn’t cut the mustard over the weekend after it fell victim to a crime that left its engine unable to start.

Top Back Refresh