What's new

Mechanics step in. What did this come off of

So if it pops and grinds they broke the vacuum actuators in the knuckles putting the CVs back in. Super common if you aren’t careful. Not sure why Ford though it was a good idea to use, plastic, vacuums and 4WD in the same part description.

They've been doing it over 30 years now. Vacuum disconnect auto hubs were hilarious on the ttb when it was already stuck and they had to get out and still manually turn them :lmao:

Yep that is Ford. I have one and have been into the front end more than I like. Front driveshaft.

They weren't vacuum back then. Just mechanical magic.

I could swear my buddies "automatic" hubs had vacuum lines on his f150.

Only time I really payed any attention we were pulling the ttb to put a radius arm 44 in there though. Damn, that's been 20 years :homer:

I know the radius arm 60 I swapped a few years ago had vacuum ports for the hubs. No idea on year though.

^^^^The early 2000's automatic hubs on Ford 250's were vacuum.

those look like the factory loctited them.

odds that people installing the lift did not? high.
use loctite on driveshaft bolts. Isn't that like a standard thing?

No, how do all 3 back out and drop the part in the driveway where it's getting parked? :eek:

Holy shit man, go buy a lottery ticket.
I have seen a couple dana 30 locking hubs hold on for 3 days of wheeling, and the highway drive home and fall off in the driveway. I wandered into the Toyota forum one time and heard similar accounts from those guys.

I have also had a boat trailer lose all of the roller bearings and the wheel was just hanging on by the races (strangely quiet the hole time) only to fold over backing into the driveway.

Weird shit happens with spinny things.:lmao:

I could swear my buddies "automatic" hubs had vacuum lines on his f150.

Only time I really payed any attention we were pulling the ttb to put a radius arm 44 in there though. Damn, that's been 20 years :homer:

I know the radius arm 60 I swapped a few years ago had vacuum ports for the hubs. No idea on year though.
He probably did. I don't remember exactly, but I think there was one year that ford did vac lines with TTB. If not a year, it may have been a half-year deal, and it may have been the last year of the TTB. I don't remember if it was on the 44 or on the 50, but I am thinking it was only on the 50. It's pretty uncommon.

He probably did. I don't remember exactly, but I think there was one year that ford did vac lines with TTB. If not a year, it may have been a half-year deal, and it may have been the last year of the TTB. I don't remember if it was on the 44 or on the 50, but I am thinking it was only on the 50. It's pretty uncommon.

Good old Ford. I used to give my buddy shit because he had 13, 90's era F-series trucks and I swear none of the parts interchanged.

This 1 needs a water pump, can't steal it off the one with a bad axle because it's different that year. Can't take it from the 1 with a bad trans because that one is 1 year only also. Can't steal a stub shaft off that truck because it's 1/2" different for 2 years....

He never had more than 2 running and driving at once. I never did figure out having your own junkyard when nothing interchanged. :homer:

Good old Ford. I used to give my buddy shit because he had 13, 90's era F-series trucks and I swear none of the parts interchanged.

This 1 needs a water pump, can't steal it off the one with a bad axle because it's different that year. Can't take it from the 1 with a bad trans because that one is 1 year only also. Can't steal a stub shaft off that truck because it's 1/2" different for 2 years....

He never had more than 2 running and driving at once. I never did figure out having your own junkyard when nothing interchanged. :homer:
Give the general (say pre-2005) all the shit a guy wants to, but the running changes in the blue oval camp are frustrating AF. Can't say the same over the last 15 years or so, but that 80's/90's era stuff we're talking about... GM beats them all.

They make it just hard enough to fuck with the dumbass chevy people. :laughing:

vac lines with TTB.
That's not a thing. Not on the F-series, not on the Ranger. It just doesn't exist.

That's not a thing. Not on the F-series, not on the Ranger. It just doesn't exist.

I wish I had saved the pic or could remember the forum it was posted on, but I absolutely thought the same thing until I saw a pic of it. It may have also been on an ambulance conversion, or on one of those weird TTBs with both beams having differentials that was also used on ambulance conversions, but I know I have seen a pic of it somewhere out on the internet a very long time ago.

Last edited:
I saw one of those double- hump TTB's in a van once. I went year's thinking it wasn't real and I was hallucinating. I'm still not 100% sure it was real.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge on scissor axles. I'm an early Bronco guy, but not necessarily a Ford guy.

I wish I had saved the pic or could remember the forum it was posted on, but I absolutely thought the same thing until I saw a pic of it. It may have also been on an ambulance conversion, or on one of those weird TTBs with both beams having differentials that was also used on ambulance conversions, but I know I have seen a pic of it somewhere out on the internet a very long time ago.
You sure that wasn't the ABS wire? 96 had those. No TTB ever had vac lock hubs. The automatic ones were supposed to use the spinning of the axle to move the gear out an engage it. They did not work for shit.

The last CV bolts I had fall out did not look that nice. The ends were beat to hell and bent. Those look like they were removed.

You sure that wasn't the ABS wire? 96 had those. No TTB ever had vac lock hubs. The automatic ones were supposed to use the spinning of the axle to move the gear out an engage it. They did not work for shit.

The last CV bolts I had fall out did not look that nice. The ends were beat to hell and bent. Those look like they were removed.
I wish I could say for sure, but I just can’t remember that far back, but I suppose anything is possible. I just remember it was a similar conversation as this, basically everyone including myself saying it wasn’t a thing. Guy posts pics of it and there was what absolutely looked like small little vac lines running into a TTB knuckle that was attached to a TTB axle beam. They didn’t look like ABS lines, but again, my memory isn’t that great that far back. I’d never seen anything like it before or since, but I know how ford liked to do weird shit on the last few trucks before moving to the 97 and 99 body style, so who knows.

Those auto lockers were the first thing I replaced on my truck when I bought it back in the 90s. I found out the hard way that they worked fine in reverse, but liked to pop out and unlock in forward driving, so I put manuals on it. A few years later it got a solid axle.

It is a horrible thing to be able to buy parts off the shelf because they fit 40 years worth of small blocks :flipoff2:

Comes in handy for stupid stuff like being able to buy a 160A alternator for a 06 and stuffing it on a 96 vortec to replace the 105A they thought was sufficient. I think my 16 still has that same alternator.

Looks just like the one I took off of POS Audi rear driveline, would've never expected that eurotrash looking shit to come off a ferd.

Looks just like the one I took off of POS Audi rear driveline, would've never expected that eurotrash looking shit to come off a ferd.
it's almost like domestic/euro cars are all using the same global parts supplies and manufacturers so "buying american" doesn't really save you shit on repairs/parts.

but everything has 32 computer modules, 5 can/fiber bus rings, direct injection and all the other shit these days.

It is a horrible thing to be able to buy parts off the shelf because they fit 40 years worth of small blocks :flipoff2:

Comes in handy for stupid stuff like being able to buy a 160A alternator for a 06 and stuffing it on a 96 vortec to replace the 105A they thought was sufficient. I think my 16 still has that same alternator.
You can mostly do that if you know the tricks. Like stuff will swap but with one pin that needs to be swapped around or something else will fit but you gotta use the metric bolt for the later application, drill and tap a boss, and stuff like that.

Like I said, they make it just hard enough to fuck with stupid people.

You can mostly do that if you know the tricks. Like stuff will swap but with one pin that needs to be swapped around or something else will fit but you gotta use the metric bolt for the later application, drill and tap a boss, and stuff like that.

Like I said, they make it just hard enough to fuck with stupid people.

Yeah, stupid people are the problem with them redesigning pointless thing's for every production year :lmao:

it's almost like domestic/euro cars are all using the same global parts supplies and manufacturers so "buying american" doesn't really save you shit on repairs/parts.

but everything has 32 computer modules, 5 can/fiber bus rings, direct injection and all the other shit these days.

I look forward to using the shells of fancy computerized shit boxes in the future. Hacked and bypassed controls galore.

That reminds me,
What’s the go to cord dongle shit and free software to plug into a 2008 x3 3.0i to diagnose headlight problems?

It started with turn signals acting fucky & 1 headlight not working, me replacing the front passenger level sensor fixed that, he replaced the lenses and says the secondary hi beams don’t work, internet says they are flash to pass only?

I look forward to using the shells of fancy computerized shit boxes in the future. Hacked and bypassed controls galore.

That reminds me,
What’s the go to cord dongle shit and free software to plug into a 2008 x3 3.0i to diagnose headlight problems?

It started with turn signals acting fucky & 1 headlight not working, me replacing the front passenger level sensor fixed that, he replaced the lenses and says the secondary hi beams don’t work, internet says they are flash to pass only?
a $25 INPA compatible cable on amazon if you're poor.
a nice bimmergeeks.net cable if you want to use it for all the programming shit.
"BMW standard tools" Is what you need for basic shit.
Daten files for you chassis code and the base daten files for reprogramming things.
ISTA is what you want for nice diagnostics with an inbuilt service manual.

it could have FRM problems, they're not uncommon in the vintage. Get a newer FRM from a later model and use the winkfp and ncsexpert to reprogram junkyard module to car.
then use ncsdummy to do fancy coding bullshit.

If you have a place to park a large data file I could export my virtual machine with all the software in it already setup.

Top Back Refresh