What's new

Marlin vs TrailGear clutch kit

dieselCJ3A

Member Number
Loc
SF, CA
Looking to put a 5-speed R150 pulled from a T100 behind a VW TDI (ALH motor). Will most likely upgrade the motor with new turbo, injectors and a tune that puts it about 150hp and 260 lbs-ft torque. My first choice for clutch kit was Marlin HD (1200 lbs version) but looks like they have been OOS for a while. I read elsewhere that Marlin kit is basically parts from Aisin/Seco.

cover assembly: aisin CTX-107
clutch disc: SECO SDTY-136/CD80101
throwout bearing: nachi 61462 (or CB 56017 or NP-50SCRN60P-2-P)
pilot bearing: nachi 62012NSE9C3 (or 190211)

Edit: Saw that Marlin said they used (post from 2006) SDTY-186. Now I am wondering if there's a typo and it isn't SDTY-136 or they are two different discs?

Then I saw that Trail Gear also sells a Aisin/Seco clutch kit. Anyone know the difference between the Marlin and TG kit? I know TG gets a lot of flak for cheaper quality parts but if they are reselling Aisin/Seco parts then I think that should be ok. Right?

I found the Aisin cover assembly, throwout and pilot bearings separately but can't find the Seco clutch disc part (SECO SDTY-136/CD80101). Anyone know the part number?

Thanks.

Last edited:
150 hp is less than a 3.4, I would just put a decent stock clutch in it.
Yes, the horses are fewer than a 3.4L but the torque is higher with a TDI. Also, diesel will run reach peak torque at much lower RPMs compared to the 3.4L gas. That said, NWF that make the TDI adapter plate also recommended running the Luk/OE clutch.

Yes, the horses are fewer than a 3.4L but the torque is higher with a TDI. Also, diesel will run reach peak torque at much lower RPMs compared to the 3.4L gas. That said, NWF that make the TDI adapter plate also recommended running the Luk/OE clutch.

Ya, i get it, but it's nothing that crazy. As mentioned oe application will be fine

My friends boosted TDI used a stock LUK with a the big flywheel. Clutch was never a issue in it even with the boost cranked up.

My friends boosted TDI used a stock LUK with a the big flywheel. Clutch was never a issue in it even with the boost cranked up.
Yep, I see LCE has a 30, 35 and 38 lbs flywheel. Planning on going with a 35 lbs flywheel. Upgrade turbo to the VNT 17/22 hybrid, bigger injectors, custom exhaust (pre smog vehicle so CARB can eat shit) and tune to match all the upgrades :D

I have the marlin kit in my 3.4 and I will get OEM next. Marlin kit also had a shitty Chinese pilot bearing that seized on me in like 30,000miles and almost fucked my trans input shaft, so there's that. So much for Japanese bearings :shaking:

I have the marlin kit in my 3.4 and I will get OEM next. Marlin kit also had a shitty Chinese pilot bearing that seized on me in like 30,000miles and almost fucked my trans input shaft, so there's that. So much for Japanese bearings :shaking:
I do not understand. After the massive markup, why ship cheap Chinese crap.

No idea I was PISSED! Even more pissed if it would have taken out the input shaft of the trans, there's a decent groove in it but still acceptable.

I have been using a oe luk clutch the last 5 years doing a lot of rock crawling, so lots of clutch slipping. It has got hot several times but it has held up fine. 47k on it to date.

I've never run anything but premium quality (Luk, Daikin, Aisin, etc...) in anything from crawlers to racecars with triple or more the stock power...never had an issue. Run a good stock clutch, not some house brand bullshit from China/India.

Because Marlin only makes a few things themselves and everything else is marked up generic crap like their Procomp steering stabilizer kit that even comes in a Procomp box.

That wrinkly old cock sucker hasn’t had jack shit in stock for over 10 years now.

Marlin is a great guy who did great things for the 4x4 scene, but his business has been pretty shitty for years now. Aside from a few good products the rest are nothing special anymore. I don't order anything directly from them either, always from someone I trust to actually have product in stock.

I've never run anything but premium quality (Luk, Daikin, Aisin, etc...) in anything from crawlers to racecars with triple or more the stock power...never had an issue. Run a good stock clutch, not some house brand bullshit from China/India.

And I'm in this camp as well. I'll add Sachs to the list as they were always good in the built Euro cars I've had.

Because Marlin only makes a few things themselves and everything else is marked up generic crap like their Procomp steering stabilizer kit that even comes in a Procomp box.

Marlin is a great guy who did great things for the 4x4 scene, but his business has been pretty shitty for years now. Aside from a few good products the rest are nothing special anymore. I don't order anything directly from them either, always from someone I trust to actually have product in stock.
I’ve been in the fuck Marlin crowd since 2006 when they flat out lied to me and fucked me over on a $3300 order.

I’ve been in the fuck Marlin crowd since 2006 when they flat out lied to me and fucked me over on a $3300 order.

Damn, and that's long enough ago that we can't even blame Big Mike for the fuckup.....

But yeah it seems that more and more people are joining the "fuck Marlin" mindset which is sad for our industry. They are a staple and they can't even get it right more often than not.

I've been beating the shit out of an Exedy clutch in my Tacoma for the last 50k miles and it's still going but on its way out. I'm planning on replacing it this year with another one.

Damn, and that's long enough ago that we can't even blame Big Mike for the fuckup.....

But yeah it seems that more and more people are joining the "fuck Marlin" mindset which is sad for our industry. They are a staple and they can't even get it right more often than not.
Marlins company would be better off if Mike actually focused on getting product in stock instead of pimping his $12,000 IFS lift. :shaking:

With TG buying LROR and All-Pro, I think Marlin is the only remaining independent full-service Toyota shop. Really wish they got their act together.

With TG buying LROR and All-Pro, I think Marlin is the only remaining independent full-service Toyota shop. Really wish they got their act together.
Don’t forget Trail Gear also killed off Inchworm.

It's kinda telling when Trail Gear buys everyone BUT Marlin..... :lmao:

But yeah, the whole Trailmart acquisitions spree was a big blow to the off-road marketplace. I shop from Wheeler's Off-road in Oregon quite a bit and even they got scooped up.

Granted... Half my truck is products from a Trail Gear owned company. And most of it works just fine. I did go out of my way to order cases that have no TG or Marlin in them so we'll see how that goes (Advanced + Sumo).

Top Back Refresh