What's new

LS Engine Venting / Positive Crankcase Ventilation / Fuel Air Trap System

I am running cats for this very reason. Can you confirm that the crank ventilation is the only source or is the blow by that bad? If so It would be worth while to run an exhaust venturi to dump the fumes.
Sorry I walked away from this convo for a while. Been busy with a new toy / project. Not sure if I understand your question. Blow by is what crank case ventilation is for. The fumes are full of acids that will destroy your oil. That's why you have a fresh air inlet and a source of vacuum to the crank case. Having just an exit will prevent seals from blowing out but it wont protect the oil. Ya you could scavenge the case with an exhaust venturi, but you would still need a one way valve to prevent back feeding.

Blow by is what crank case ventilation is for. The fumes are full of acids that will destroy your oil. That's why you have a fresh air inlet and a source of vacuum to the crank case. Having just an exit will prevent seals from blowing out but it wont protect the oil.
FC.jpg

Some nerds from the LS forums debunked this urban legend.
Oil samples show that the acidic gases are at low enough levels as to be of no factor in crank case ventilation for the life of the oil or engine.
I have a feeling that PCV was a theory that some bean counter came up with to save the Earth from burning its own natural fuel source.
If you don't like the smell of CA gas and want to run PCV to burn the fumes I totally understand, but I don't believe that engine life is going to improve.
Now to continue on a more important tangent. If fossil fuels are formed from unburned trees and animals, Earth has a stock pile of energy that it has not burned over the years which is not natural. By not allowing the forests and land to burn naturally from lightening strikes and heat the Earth over a gradual period of time and reduce the fuel load, humans have altered the climate to a colder environment. In addition to disrupting the natural fuel dissipation, humans have disrupted water storage, flow path, and evaporation which has super heated certain areas.
Because humans can not figure out how to consume a reasonable amount of fuel and water over time, we are going to crank up the heat and adjust to living in a hot environment. Hopefully the heat would eliminate some of the population but, I don't think we are that lucky.
To wrap this up, those of you who think its too cold are going to have nice weather and a bunch of neighbors that you don't want. The ocean front properties are going to be in Arizona as the water levels rise. George Strait called it. Good luck.

FC.jpg

Some nerds from the LS forums debunked this urban legend.
Oil samples show that the acidic gases are at low enough levels as to be of no factor in crank case ventilation for the life of the oil or engine.
I have a feeling that PCV was a theory that some bean counter came up with to save the Earth from burning its own natural fuel source.
If you don't like the smell of CA gas and want to run PCV to burn the fumes I totally understand, but I don't believe that engine life is going to improve.
Now to continue on a more important tangent. If fossil fuels are formed from unburned trees and animals, Earth has a stock pile of energy that it has not burned over the years which is not natural. By not allowing the forests and land to burn naturally from lightening strikes and heat the Earth over a gradual period of time and reduce the fuel load, humans have altered the climate to a colder environment. In addition to disrupting the natural fuel dissipation, humans have disrupted water storage, flow path, and evaporation which has super heated certain areas.
Because humans can not figure out how to consume a reasonable amount of fuel and water over time, we are going to crank up the heat and adjust to living in a hot environment. Hopefully the heat would eliminate some of the population but, I don't think we are that lucky.
To wrap this up, those of you who think its too cold are going to have nice weather and a bunch of neighbors that you don't want. The ocean front properties are going to be in Arizona as the water levels rise. George Strait called it. Good luck.
Are you on crack?

Brining this back up as I've got my engine in now. Ordered the 2"x13" coolant overflow to run as my engine oil catch can following BigwoodyWag on the old PBB. He states to run both PCV (the orifice and the fresh air inlet tee'd into the can) and then run an inline PCV valve back to the intake. Is there a need for 100% having a fresh air inlet.? I was thinking if yes, I'd drill and tap the knock sensor valley cover for a 5/16" fitting. This would allow fresh air in but would potentially still leak back into throttle body if rolled over but atleast its not right into the intake manifold.

(Just a rec wheeler that I never plan to rollover)

What ya guys think? Needed or not? With no fresh air there would be a constant vacuum on the engine.

My old buggy with an LQ4 6.0 and this buggy with a LZ9 3.9 I ran a vent hose from each valve cover over/across the engine and down to skid area with a little fuel filter on it and capped the intake/throttle body ports. Never a problem, never a smoke show, simple, and if rig is rolled have vent higher than port so didn't leak.

Maybe I'll run it 3 sides and down on the Fresh Air Vent side and run the PCV to the catch can and back to the intake. I Still want it functioning as I do way more road miles than wheeling miles.

Top Back Refresh