What's new

LP Dana 60 Arb Install

GFAB

Member Number
I am installing a ARB locker and new gear set into a Dana 60 Chevy axle. I generally use Detroit lockers, this is my first experience with a ARB in a 60. My question, what side of the seal housing do the ARB provided shims reside (Axle housing side or between the seal housing and race)? The ARB instructions suck ass..... And yes I have searched the new and old site.

Moving this over from chit chat. Sorry for the initial f up

Page 17 of the instructions

Capture.JPG

I need arrpox 74 thou of shims in that location. The seal housing o rings will no longer be in contact with the carrier. I am using the stand bearing races that don't require the .150 master shim. total shim pack measures out to .138 without accounting for pre load.

I ran into the same problem with a 78-79 Ford front. I ended up putting some shims on the outside of the seal housing to make the o rings line up with the hole in the carrier. I do not remember what shims I used to do this, they could have been from some other setup kit or an extra master shim.

I called ARBs tech support, the kid I talked to had no fucking clue how the system worked. From what I can tell at this point, when the total shim pack required exceeds what was provided by ARB the non ring gear side utilizes the ARB shim pack while the ring gear side uses shims from the D60 install kit. That being said to achieve proper air sealing, the shims on the non ring gear side must be run on the axle tube side of the seal housing, conflicting with ARBs installation manual. The fucking installation manual conflicts itself in multiple places. I wouldn't have pressed the new bearing on the RGS (I have set up bearings) if the manual didn't clearly state "Do not add shims between the bearings and the bearing seat, even if they were present in the OE carrier"

Thanks Roc Doc, I just sent Tech Tim a pm. I have been lurking and learning from you guys for over 15 years. I have provide very little tech, I would like to try to keep this discussion in general tech so the outcome can be utilized for the next poor bastard with the same issue if possible. There is a thread on the old site highlighting a similar issue, no concrete resolution was determined.

i ran into the same issue on a chevy d60 with arb so i put some shims on the outside and moved on with my life :laughing::flipoff2:

I need arrpox 74 thou of shims in that location. The seal housing o rings will no longer be in contact with the carrier. I am using the stand bearing races that don't require the .150 master shim. total shim pack measures out to .138 without accounting for pre load.

I ran into the same problem with a 78-79 Ford front. I ended up putting some shims on the outside of the seal housing to make the o rings line up with the hole in the carrier. I do not remember what shims I used to do this, they could have been from some other setup kit or an extra master shim.

Yep, what Tiny said..... Run some shims on the outside too.

At absolute minimum, you have to run the master shim on the inside to keep the seal housing away from the bearing. Then you can stack shims on the outside to get to where you need.

Keep the air inlet hole on the air journal between the seal housing o-rings, anything else shim-wise is fair game.

When I have a big amount to make up, I'll use a master shim plus small shims on the inside and then a master shim or other thick shim on the outside to make up the difference.

Then last piece of advice, shim it tight! If you can slip in it or pull it out by hand, it is not tight enough and will cause premature wear on the o-rings as the Air Locker is shifting back and forth.

Tim,
Whats the Largest shim that can be run between the seal housing and outer bearing race/cone without causing a loss in o ring sealing capacity?
Thanks a ton for the input!

Tech Tim It seems like anything over 45 thou in that location is pushing the outer o ring in the seal gland too close to the end of the carrier in my application. My plan is to run the thinner shims on the between the seal housing machined step and outer bearing race as suggested above. In this located I will stick to a maxim of 30 thou (slight factor of safty for sealing). All remaining shimming will the done between the seal housing and axle end of the housing. To be clear, I will be running shims for the RGS bearing between the carrier and bearing following standard Dana process.

Thanks all for the input, Ill report back on my success as I start thrashing on this thing.

My favorite part of ARB over the past few years were the terrible bonded seals that all leaked and then ostensibly were fixed with a new supplier. Years and years of leaks

Tech Tim It seems like anything over 45 thou in that location is pushing the outer o ring in the seal gland too close to the end of the carrier in my application. My plan is to run the thinner shims on the between the seal housing machined step and outer bearing race as suggested above. In this located I will stick to a maxim of 30 thou (slight factor of safty for sealing). All remaining shimming will the done between the seal housing and axle end of the housing. To be clear, I will be running shims for the RGS bearing between the carrier and bearing following standard Dana process.

Thanks all for the input, Ill report back on my success as I start thrashing on this thing.

GFAB

You can shim just about anywhere you want, including under the bearings like old school dana, between the bearing and seal housing, outside the seal housing and even mix and match the different placements.

You just have to keep a few rules in mind:

1) Keep the air inlet port of the Air Locker between the two o-rings.

2) Have the ARB master shim between the bearing and the seal housing. This is to keep the seal housing out of the bearing cage.

3) Shim the Air Locker tight. If you can pull it out or put it in by hand, it is too loose and will cause air leaks (and other problems) down the road.
  • I couldn't tell you how many Air Locker and other diffs I've pulled apart because the installers didn't put enough preload on the side bearings.
Break any of those three rules and you will have problems.

Edit*** There are ways around #2, by using thicker bearing races to protect the bearing cage.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh