What's new

Loose Dana 60 Outer Pinion Race

flexy flatty

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Arroyo Grande, CA
I finally got around to building the bare GM60 housing I’ve had forever and when I went to drive in the outer pinion race it drops in easily and has a couple thousandths of play. I think I know the correct answer to this which is the housing is trashed but is there anything to be done here? I would assume that the bearing seized and spun the race at some point in the axle’s past. I thought about green locktite but even then I think there’s too much play.
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg

I’m considering trying a speedi sleeve to take up some of that play. I don’t have calipers that are long enough to reach into the snout to measure the id of the housing so it’s a bit of a shot in the dark as to whether it would work or not but it might be worth a try before scrapping the housing. Thoughts?

This one matches the OD of the race and has a wall thickness of .01”

I had similar happen on my front D60 in one of my buggies. I used the green loctite and prick punched the ID pretty good to keep the bearing race from moving....been like that since 2008ish....all still good. Not sure how much slop I had comparatively though.

This is the video from then...kinda shows how loose it was (about 1 min 22 seconds in):

I had similar happen on my front D60 in one of my buggies. I used the green loctite and prick punched the ID pretty good to keep the bearing race from moving....been like that since 2008ish....all still good. Not sure how much slop I had comparatively though.

This is the video from then...kinda shows how loose it was (about 1 min 22 seconds in):

Here’s a video of my housing. Looks like a bit more play than yours. I may give your method a try regardless. Thank you

A bearing shop might be able to match up a race with a larger OD, then it would just be a matter of having the housing machined to match.

Whats a bare housing go for?

That one is pretty loose. I've staked the housing with a punch and used green sleeve loctite on a few with decent success, but they just spun with no actual slop like that one. What worries me almost as much about yours, those first pics make it look like it was oblonged off center to the upper left, so the pinion isn't going to end up perfectly perpendicular to the ring gear. I've geared a lot of axles, but never encountered that before so I'm not sure how bad it'll be for setup and durability.

That one is pretty loose. I've staked the housing with a punch and used green sleeve loctite on a few with decent success, but they just spun with no actual slop like that one. What worries me almost as much about yours, those first pics make it look like it was oblonged off center to the upper left, so the pinion isn't going to end up perfectly perpendicular to the ring gear. I've geared a lot of axles, but never encountered that before so I'm not sure how bad it'll be for setup and durability.
Thanks, this is my concern. It definitely has more slop one direction than the other. I don’t want to put the effort into building it just to wipe out a bearing or gearset

Top Back Refresh