What's new

Looking for a 3 valve 6.8 v10

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
But coming up very empty, whats the deal? Arent they all the same after 2006? Theres very few and they are just silly prices.

Appreciate any leads. Would like to stay under 3500 for used with 120k or under miles, or 5k for reman, but sont have core and need a complete engine.

Thanks

Welcome to irate!

Where's your core? What's going on with the truck? If you bought a truck missing an engine, you're missing a lot more than just "the engine" all that little stuff adds up.

Swapping out a 5.4 to 6.8, from what I read its an easy swap, harness ecm maybe couple other components, and eventually a new 5r110w when this one goes.

Is this a direct replacement for an existing vehicle?

We posted at the same time. What year truck? Does it have the 4R70W?

From guys that did the swap, they say it bolts right in, even the same motor mounts. Both 5.4 and 6.8 being modular engines. I was hoping to avoid the route of donor truck because truck prices are $$ right now.

Taking that into consideration, what would be a reputble rebuilder to buy another 5.4 from?

You can do anything

But to actually get this to completion without bankruptcy or becoming institutionalized, buy a donor vehicle that has everything you need

100% this.

Find a complete truck with body damage or a ruined interior but is mechanically solid. Scavenge everything you need, part out the rest. You'll probably come out well ahead of buying your swap parts individually.

The only other good option is to find someone local parting out a complete truck but not keeping the engine, trans, harness, ECU, etc.

What's the specs on the truck? Might be ripe for a cummins swap

Or a 7.3 power stroke:laughing:

mechanical cummins (or anything) prices are through the roof, and this will be just a work/spare truck. 2008 extended cab 4x4. At this point, I may just get a fraiser rebuilt v8 and call it a day, they seem to have good reputation. Search for v10 comes up very emtpy.

Also whats the deal with 2 valve enginws being in anything and everything, and 3 valves so rare. I see them up to late 201x, but according to wiki the 3 valve hasnt changed since 2005?

mechanical cummins (or anything) prices are through the roof, and this will be just a work/spare truck. 2008 extended cab 4x4. At this point, I may just get a fraiser rebuilt v8 and call it a day, they seem to have good reputation. Search for v10 comes up very emtpy.

Also whats the deal with 2 valve enginws being in anything and everything, and 3 valves so rare. I see them up to late 201x, but according to wiki the 3 valve hasnt changed since 2005?

Ford didn't bother investing in retrofitting the 3v engines into vans for whatever reason, that and at least around here the 6.8 just not being popular in trucks really cut down on how many were produced. Seems like it was all stripped down 5.4 trucks/vans or buyers put up the money to get into a Powerstruggle.

Ford didn't bother investing in retrofitting the 3v engines into vans for whatever reason, that and at least around here the 6.8 just not being popular in trucks really cut down on how many were produced. Seems like it was all stripped down 5.4 trucks/vans or buyers put up the money to get into a Powerstruggle.
Around here everyone buying a personal truck bought a PSD and fleet trucks are 50-50 gas diesel, probably more gas now that all the 6.0s and 6.4s have croaked.

Vans got 5.4 with the occasional 6.8 in a short bus or airport van.

Yeah, the 3 valve just would not fit in the Dog house / firewall, and ford didn't care enough to fix it. The 2 valve in the van, with the underpowered van tune was just so damn reliable so why change it.

where are you located?

there's one on marketplace in PA

engine

on the total wrong side of the continent

So what do you fellow chaps think about swapping in a regular pushrod engine instead of the v10 or another 5.4? Honestly a carb would be right up my alley to keep it all mechanical. Dont need the torque of a diesel.

Goal is reliability and simplicity. Truck is SRW so I dont plan on towing heavy, and besides I have a '20 with a 7.3, but I wouldnt take it offroad or beat on it.

The truck is rust free extended cab, and I rather keep it on the road than part it out. Have me nice beater truck for the rest of my life?

Top Back Refresh