What's new

Looking at first trailer purchase

Just to really drive the point home, here is a page from the owners manual for my 1980

F350 with 5.8L/351 engine isn't listed as able to tow a trailer above 3,500 lbs :laughing: 5th wheel has a max weight of 6,500 lbs. Good luck finding a trailer rated that light. Nobody in their right mind is going to not tow 7k lbs on a goose/5th with any F350.

1711320145819.png

A 1980 F350 is a lot less truck than a highboy. No clue what they are rated at but I know mine would tow ~6k slowly with a Miller Big 40 in the back.
71 hauling 71.jpg

What does your 71 have for steering? My least favorite part of using my 71 was the manual steering.

As far as trailers for what you are doing and the truck you are pulling it with I bet a 10k is fine. There isn't really a downside to a 14k other than initial cost and replacement parts cost unless you are always towing big light stuff though.

A 1980 F350 is a lot less truck than a highboy. No clue what they are rated at but I know mine would tow ~6k slowly with a Miller Big 40 in the back.
71 hauling 71.jpg

What does your 71 have for steering? My least favorite part of using my 71 was the manual steering.

As far as trailers for what you are doing and the truck you are pulling it with I bet a 10k is fine. There isn't really a downside to a 14k other than initial cost and replacement parts cost unless you are always towing big light stuff though.
I have manual right now, but I have the '79 crossmember and PS box sitting here to convert.

Probably be a winter project....

Doesn't GCVW mean the weight of the truck AND trailer loaded weight combined?
Yes, GCWR.

But again, would you really limit your 5th combined weight to 600 lbs less than your rear hitch combined weight?

Those are just recommendations. Don't got 4.1 gears or an auto? No big deal, feel free to violate the book suggestions. That's all just ford looking to secure their 36,000 mile warranty

They can call it whatever they want but a standard 5 lug axle has a 3500 pound rating and 6 lug is 5500.
That's 7k and 11k
My last 5 lug broke a spindle less than a year after I bought it and the tire/wheel/brake/axle shot off into the woods never to be seen again.
Usually loading one to max will eventually bend the axle a little and wear your tires,not break off completely.
I drug it to the closest trailer shop and bought a 6 lug.

This is a bad pic, but its a 14k trailer, it weighs 3500# two 7000# Dexter 8 lug axles under it, it has a long 6' tongue on it so it can be towed and jackknifed behind a dump truck. I haul a couple of Toyotas on it.

Not sure what you think a decent trailer weighs, or what you plan on towing, but you'll have your hands full towing two pieces of equipment.
20200708_160050.jpg

A 1980 F350 is a lot less truck than a highboy.
The old man nostalgia is strong with this one. :laughing:

The 1980 generation was an upgrade in everything but the axles and powertrain options that were carried over and in those cases it was a lateral move.

You'd have to be comparing a big block 70s truck to a 300/302 80s truck to reach that conclusion.

Those are just recommendations. Don't got 4.1 gears or an auto? No big deal, feel free to violate the book suggestions. That's all just ford looking to secure their 36,000 mile warranty
Exactly. Ratings back then were basically the fine print that went with the warranty claim. They expected you to know what you were doing.

The old man nostalgia is strong with this one. :laughing:

The 1980 generation was an upgrade in everything but the axles and powertrain options that were carried over and in those cases it was a lateral move.

You'd have to be comparing a big block 70s truck to a 300/302 80s truck to reach that conclusion.

Exactly. Ratings back then were basically the fine print that went with the warranty claim. They expected you to know what you were doing.

Nah, I've owned or had as a work truck most major iterations of the F250 or 350 from 71 on and the early 80s ones are a step backwards compared to the 70s trucks when it comes to using them as work trucks. Past 86 or so those are absolutely better trucks than a highboy though.

Nah, I've owned or had as a work truck most major iterations of the F250 or 350 from 71 on and the early 80s ones are a step backwards compared to the 70s trucks when it comes to using them as work trucks. Past 86 or so those are absolutely better trucks than a highboy though.
While I agree early 80s is the low water mark, the owners manual suggested "ratings" aren't much changed and are pretty ridiculous low for what everybody does with them

Top Back Refresh