What's new

Looked at a short bus yesterday

WoodburyZuk

Member Number
The bus in question that I looked at was a 2011 g3500 with a 5 window Collins bus body. My research and knowledge on duramax is limited, it seems 2010-2011 is a change year from LMM to LML. The guy that had the bus has 5 right now and sold like 300 last year, so I’m not worried about supply or price changing much. The one I drove had a small oil leak which was in the driver side skid plate by the a-arm, it had 247k, ran well, drove fine, was rust free, priced just below $4k. Are there any duramax years I should look for or avoid (assuming within the year ranges 2009-2012ish). No idea when the bus companies decommission them, but that seems to be the year. I had my scan tool with me but didn’t really have time to scan it - it was 4:50 and they wanted to go home at 5. He said they all have some small mechanical issue, this one had a CEL for glow plug 1 and 8.

Just looking for advice. I was also told that if you click through the odo you can see engine hours. Also, my friend was saying that there’s a year change with the g3500 where they switched from the 4L80e to the Allison… the one I drove felt like an Allison, but I really don’t know. It was a quick drive.

Thanks y’all

The change from LBZ to LMM was when they introduced all the emissions control features - DPF, oxidation catalyst, and EGR. Those are all known failure points. The LML was the next step and featured a power bump and along with that strengthened the block, rods, pistons, and main bearings. As such, I'd be inclined to go for an LML over an LMM.

I'd go with an Allison over the 4L80E/4L85E. They tend to be proud of those, so you should at least find a badge somewhere. Otherwise, you can look up the RPO codes. Unfortunately, it seems GM has a bunch of RPO codes for the Allison so it isn't like you're just looking for RPO "xxx" and be done with it. I haven't looked into it enough to see if there are specific RPO codes for an Allison in a G3500 to narrow it down.

Allison vs 4L80, I'd look for a spin on trans filter.

4L80 doesn't have one, and every Allisons I've wrenched on in that size range does.

Top Back Refresh