What's new

Longest lasting tire for my wife's rav-4 ​​​​​​​

I just thought about this: How many miles does she drive in a year? Multiply that by 6 and that's the only distance her tread needs to last, because the tire is shit anyway at that point. My Sprinter example was on a commercial fleet, and the vans would go 100,000 miles in 18-20 months. If she's only driving 15,000 miles per year, she only needs a tire that can go 90,000 miles.

Unless they're sitting with the same side facing the Arizona sun all day every day tires last way longer than 6yr.

Your wives can get 90k+ miles one a tire without killing it via a road hazard. You guys are doing good.

Me I’m about to start getting some vinyl stickers made of all the shit she’s hit and sticking it in the back window.
Turkeys, Deer, raccoon, partridge, bear, porcupine. To her benefit she has a 45 mile trip to work of back country roads that are barley wide enough to make 2 full lanes.

If all you have to work with is a 3000lb car it's kind of hard to punch a hole in a E-rated LT tire that has 5" of sidewall.

Last edited:
Never worn out a set of tires so I am of no help here. :laughing:

They put garbage tires on new vehicles.

On a light little car, even an a/T should be able to get 60k without trying.

The one thing that annoys me, is mild tread a/t's that get loud with wear. This happened with my toyo at2's on my 97 F350 and is starting to happen with the Americans tire pathfinder at's on the wife's F150. They started making noise after the first rotation :confused:

Notice the same. Typically I pull them off once they get loud and sell them on CL if there's enough left on them. Did just that earlier this week. Found some immaculate OEM wheels with near new KO2s for $800. I'll be throwing the old set on CL as soon as I pull the pressure sensors and clean them up, probably be gone pretty quick at $350.

They put garbage tires on new vehicles.

On a light little car, even an a/T should be able to get 60k without trying.

The one thing that annoys me, is mild tread a/t's that get loud with wear. This happened with my toyo at2's on my 97 F350 and is starting to happen with the Americans tire pathfinder at's on the wife's F150. They started making noise after the first rotation :confused:

Yup. The Transforce A/Ts they put on suck. Current truck has the stock Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. Have around 20K on them, and I doubt I will make it to 30. They aren’t necessarily loud, but they haven’t lived up to driving on caliche roads.

Been pretty impressed by the Continental cross contact LX20’s. I think the new model is the LX25. Quiet and and excellent all weather non snow tire. Plus the ride is good.

Dunno if they come in your size but Falken Wildpeak AT3W have been wearing like iron on our Land Cruiser. Over 50k on them and look maybe 20% worn. They've done great up in the snow and everywhere else we've taken the Cruiser. On a Rav4 they'd probably go like 150k. Were cheaper for 5 tires than 4 of BFG AT that everyone and their whole neighborhood has.

I agree tires they put on new vehicles suck - my inlaws have a '19 Sequoia and their tires are toast at just 17k

Legit. No joke. I drive between 40-60K a year. I called Discount to get prices because I was not happy with how long they lasted, new tires in 2.5 years. Dude asked me the mileage on my rig. I told him and he called bull shit. I went out and checked my paperwork in the glovebox and sure as shit.

Those tires have to ride and handle like complete shit if so. You might not notice it because you're in a clapped-out Chevy and well, how can it get any worse.

17" rim in any style really. Its awd, we live in ca, it may or may not see snow in its lifetime, and she plans on driving it till it's not worth fixing.

With all that said what tire will last the most miles?

Just have her go to America's tire and get whatever they recommend with their warranty. That or Costco so she can get them rotated while she shops. For the cheap price of car tires are you really going to remember if they last 70k or 80k miles?

This. Get a mid-level set of name-brand tires. Does your wife want to wrestle around a set of plastic skate wheels and slide off the road, wrestle it down the highway because it needs constant steering correction? You're asking for commuter car advice from a board of people who consider Death Wobble that occurs less than once every two months to be perfectly acceptable. :flipoff2:

Beware of tires that will last forever but cost you more in the long run because they are heavier and have higher rolling resistance. Like most ATs.

Never worn out a set of tires so I am of no help here. :laughing:
inorite?

my shit's got trailer tires on the front with maybe 2/32 of tread on them, when I got them they maybe had 4/32
on the rear is a set with good tread but date codes from 04 and cracks you can see the belts through

I bought one tire once, a uniroyal tiger paw, because I'd found a nearly brand new one on the pile and wanted a matching pair. Ended up putting them on my mom's car, lol they were too nice for me.

[486 said:
;n135469]
inorite?

my shit's got trailer tires on the front with maybe 2/32 of tread on them, when I got them they maybe had 4/32
on the rear is a set with good tread but date codes from 04 and cracks you can see the belts through

I bought one tire once, a uniroyal tiger paw, because I'd found a nearly brand new one on the pile and wanted a matching pair. Ended up putting them on my mom's car, lol they were too nice for me.

So you're the guy always blowing up tires! :flipoff2:

I've blown sidewalls. I've blown caps off doing 70 down gravel roads. It sucks.

I run at's in the summer, they're bald at 40k but that's also 5 years so they're usually cracked anyhow.

I vote Yokohama on car tires. They have a few that are rated to 80k miles, and the last set I ran still had decent traction unless it was pure ice. Fwd can't save you from ice when you have to hear the supercharger whine though.:grinpimp:

So you're the guy always blowing up tires! :flipoff2:

I've only blown out a few, somehow never bad enough to even tear out a fender liner.
I see pictures of torn the fuck up blowouts and can't help but think that they'd been driven on flat for a way long time.

I guess I'm lucky in that I catch most of them when they go lumpy from ply separations, toss the jack under, yank the valve core for safety and swap them out.

"While there's no federally sanctioned safety guidance on when a tire is too old to be safe, many carmakers recommend replacement at six years from the date of manufacture."

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

are you the media now?
Here'st he rest of that sentence:
Many automakers, including Ford, Nissan and Mercedes-Benz, tell owners to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

I'll believe the people that make the tires over a car manufacturer.

I trust 45acp over virtue signaling "muh safety" clipboard warriors any day.

The expiration date is absolute bs. Tire x-1 parked outdoors 24/7 in Tucson in asphalt might be about done in 4-5 years... same tire x-1 parked in a hvac garage might be good for 15+.

Also, sidewall cracking might not be a big deal. Depends.

The expiration date is absolute bs. Tire x-1 parked outdoors 24/7 in Tucson in asphalt might be about done in 4-5 years... same tire x-1 parked in a hvac garage might be good for 15+.

pretty much what I was thinking. I wouldnt hesitate for a seconed to throw a 10 year old set of california tires on my car/truck and would be surprised if they gave me any issues.

I put 90K on a set of 10 ply Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's and they still looked decent when I sold the pickup. 2007 Tundra. I do not like the Revo 3's I have since purchased.

17" rim in any style really. Its awd, we live in ca, it may or may not see snow in its lifetime, and she plans on driving it till it's not worth fixing.

With all that said what tire will last the most miles?

The original tires (continental?) on my wife's suv were DEAD at 40k. I swapped to General grabber hts (they may actually be the altimax mentioned prior, though.. I'd have to check. I kinda think they are!) and they're at 50k (90k on the suv total) now. If they don't go another 40k yet I'd be shocked. They practically look brand new still. They've been phenomenal tires. Great in snow and rain, and general fuckery. A tad bit more noise but it doesn't bother me.

The original tires (continental?) on my wife's suv were DEAD at 40k. I swapped to General grabber hts (they may actually be the altimax mentioned prior, though.. I'd have to check. I kinda think they are!) and they're at 50k (90k on the suv total) now. If they don't go another 40k yet I'd be shocked. They practically look brand new still. They've been phenomenal tires. Great in snow and rain, and general fuckery. A tad bit more noise but it doesn't bother me.
I think that the Grabber HTS are their fullsize truck/SUV line (that's whats on our Yukon), the Altimax are car/small SUV line.
General Tire is owned by Continental IIRC.

Aaron Z

Fwiw oem tires are not identical to the counterpart sold in the store. Oem market is cutthroat with tiny margins. Companies bid contracts break even or sometimes at a loss to keep a competitor from getting it. If you got some raggedy bullshit on a new vehicle don't assume thats an example of that specific tire.

pretty much what I was thinking. I wouldnt hesitate for a seconed to throw a 10 year old set of california tires on my car/truck and would be surprised if they gave me any issues.

You would notice when they tore on the tire machine, if they were bad.

Fwiw oem tires are not identical to the counterpart sold in the store. Oem market is cutthroat with tiny margins. Companies bid contracts break even or sometimes at a loss to keep a competitor from getting it. If you got some raggedy bullshit on a new vehicle don't assume thats an example of that specific tire.

Really?

I would think it would be more expensive for the OEM to spec out a "cheaper" tire than it would to just grab some off the shelf and run with what is available.

Interesting.

The OEM negotiates tires with the tire manufacturer, tire life, expected characteristics, tire manufacturers stake in it is getting their name out on the street.

Really?

I would think it would be more expensive for the OEM to spec out a "cheaper" tire than it would to just grab some off the shelf and run with what is available.

Interesting.

I've always figured oem tires were shittier than store bought brands, regardless of the brand. Just like every new vehicle needs an alignment, yet everyone assumes its brand new, it should be perfect.

General Tire Altimax RT43, some sizes made in the US, fairly cheap, seem to hold up well and are fairly quiet until they are worn out.

Aaron Z

2nd this. I've been using these on customers small SUVs for the past year or so. They've been holding up pretty well & won't break the bank. No complaints about wet/winter traction.

I've always figured oem tires were shittier than store bought brands, regardless of the brand. Just like every new vehicle needs an alignment, yet everyone assumes its brand new, it should be perfect.

My buddies brand new Dodge 3500 dualie came with some super shitty Nexen brand tires on it from the factory. 3 months in and one of them had a bubble in the sidewall. Tire had no visible damage inside or out to cause the bubble. He promptly bought a set of Yokohama's for it and tossed the Nexen's in the dumpster.

Truth, but not always the case.

A few years back, I was flat-towing my Montero with a blown engine to my house to replace it when I ran over a carcass on the road. It was just enough to puncture the left front tire on the Montero. I pulled over, put the spare on (Bridgestone Desert Dueler), and took off again. Within 5 minutes, that tire exploded.

The spare was of unknown age, but likely about 15 years old. It lived its life split between New Mexico and North Dakota. The Montero was usually in a garage or under a cover. The spare had no cracks or aging showing and was at the proper pressure, but apparently was a time bomb.

I replaced all five with a set of Cooper STT PROs, and never looked back.

That was the first time in over a decade I put a 10+ year-old tire on anything, and was quickly reminded why I don't do that. The only other time I have been in a vehicle when a tire failed like that was when I was a kid... the 8 year old tires on our Buick LeSabre and the 7 year old tires on our Suburban... BOTH when we lived in California, and both, ironically, on the 405 (the first was northbound in Hawthorne, the second was Southbound in Long Beach).

Every time I've used old tires, they fail. Either the tread starts to chunk, or the belts separate. New tires are not that much for the piece of mind imo.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh