What's new

Long slow start - WTF?

Pony_Driver

Red Skull Member
Member Number
2012 3.5L EB. A couple of days ago it seemed slow to start, but only enough that only I would notice. In the last few days it has gotten noticeably worse, almost like the battery was dying. I pulled the meter out and it had 12.89V with the key off and 14.4 with the engine running. Hmm, seems fine. Today it did the slow crank and fire up thing and I ran up the road a couple of miles and stopped. When I got back in it seemed like the battery was damn near dead so I headed straight to VatoZone for a battery check. Tested 100% and was "good", turned the key and slooow crank to start. Decided it had been a few years since I replaced the battery so I bought a new one, the old one was 41/5 years old according to the sticker on the side. Dropped the new one in and nothing changed.

I got home and poked around and after it cooled off I pulled the starter and wires to check for a bad connection. Everything seemed fine, but I cleaned it anyway, and put it back together. I pulled the belt and spun the alternator to check and it was fine, can't do that with the AC due to a one time use, stretch to fit belt, but I think it's fine...the AC blows cold. The oil level is fine and it runs normal once it fires up. WTH could it be?

With the voltages you measured it's not going to tell you anything related to the starting system. You would want to see battery voltage while cranking, voltage drop on both positive and negative side to check the cables, and maybe last the starter current draw.

With the voltages you measured it's not going to tell you anything related to the starting system. You would want to see battery voltage while cranking, voltage drop on both positive and negative side to check the cables, and maybe last the starter current draw.
True, but I wanted the verify that the battery at least had juice and the alternator was working as it should. I don't have a clamp-on meter that can test draw. Being that it was pretty sudden, I somewhat suspect that it's the starter, but I don't want to just throw parts at it, though from time to time I do just that to keep it fresh. :D

I found somewhere online that the draw should be 140A or so and if it's way above that it's likely the starter motor gong out. The truck has 305k on it and it's an original FoMoCo part.

Ya I was going to say mine in my 2011 did this 3 times the shit the bed instantly. Least they're easy to replace. I'm sure the guys with those stupid auto start/ stop trucks are replacing them far more frequently.

I turn that function off as soon as I start the truck.

I did it for a week to compare and gained zero mpg.

Just like GM active fuel management. Zero difference and can be a huge headache when things go sideways.

IMHO nothing but a gimmick to satisfy some non elected bureaucrat with the EPA.

OP. Find out what’s causing your issue?

I took a whiff of the starter near the bendix and there was the telltale hint of an acrid smell, she was chooched and the magic smoke was all but out. I'm sure it drew a pretty heavy electrical load that last start up and a few just before it.

Top Back Refresh