What's new

'Little Blue' '79 Build

Seth_PDX

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Portland, OR
Building my 1979 Toyota Deluxe for the PNW trails.

Big thanks to lagunaMS and IowaOffRoad for suggesting this thread.

Dlsclaimer: I'm new to posting in forums

TLDR:
Bought the stock truck as is 3 years ago, finally getting to it now

Installed High Steer with '94 IFS box
Marlin Front Axle rebuild kit with Extended Brake lines
OME RUF springs
TG Power Flow PS upgrade
Bilstein shock absorbers
Marlin Ubolt flip kit
Spartan Locker (lunchbox) in the rear axle w/ stock gears (4.38?)

Lots of rust through-out. Not sure what I want to do with the truck. I love this body style, but it's definitely a used and abuse truck from the previous owners.

Currenlty installed 4.7 and in the process of swapping it with the stock 2.28 Tcase. Saving up for duals and much much more.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPEG
    IMG_0432.JPEG
    852.9 KB · Views: 78
Glad you started one. Do you have any pics of the high steer install? My bump steer is god awful and I'm lucky it doesn't snow in Mississippi because it would be too dangerous to drive jerking all over the place. Crossover steering is high on the list for mine

I do.
I'll pull those up and post them here soon. I bought the TG IFS steering box mount separately from the high steer kit. I think I got the HiSteer kit off of amazon. Found a steering box off of craigslist.
If you haven't already rebuilt the front axle, you might look into getting a kit. Once I pulled the stock knuckles I was leaving soup from the felt/seals.
That and placing the IFS box was a big job for a beginner like me.

I removed all the stock steering components along with the sway bar. Had to cut the torque rod mount. The IFS bracket will go in this place. I had to email trail gear for instructions on the bracket, they didn't have it on the website. I ended up butchering the fender for easy access while position the IFS box. Ran into some trouble placing the bracket and box on the frame, TG's instructions say to but the box an inch from the body mount. But with the '79's bumper mount, I had trouble getting that close. At the time, I didn't was to make too much cuts to the truck. I've kinda giving up on keeping it stock as possible. Ended up cutting stock bumper bracket, but left that mount that rises up from the frame.

Attachments

• Cut out the torque rod mount.JPG
    Cut out the torque rod mount.JPG
    663.9 KB · Views: 32
  • cut fender for easier adjustment.JPEG
    cut fender for easier adjustment.JPEG
    743.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Bumper mount in the way.PNG
    Bumper mount in the way.PNG
    803.8 KB · Views: 34
For me, finding the right placement for the box was a big worry. I did some searches through the old forum and other forums. Looked at different hi-steer setups to mimic the right spot. Once I had slightly satisfied, I did what I could with my floor jack, articulating the front axle for clearance of the pitman arm. Haven't testing it my set up too vigorously, but have taken it out to a moderate trail and didn't notice any binding.

Drilled through the frame for the bracket bolts. I did find that the TG bolts were too large for the '94 IFS box I picked up off of craigslist. I ended up buying bolts from the hardware store instead of messing with the box. Also, one of the TG bolts was too short to fit through the box, bracket and frame.
Used the stock steering shaft U-joint instead of the U-joint that came with the '94 box.

Probably common sense but, make sure you thoroughly clean that part of the frame before welding. I had my neighbor with his 220 weld up the bracket and there was too much dirt and grime for a clean weld. My bad.

Attachments

• driverside pre weld check.JPEG
    driverside pre weld check.JPEG
    913.8 KB · Views: 50
  • TrailGear bolts not fitting '94 IFS box 1.JPEG
    TrailGear bolts not fitting '94 IFS box 1.JPEG
    565.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Overhead view of Box Bracket 1.JPEG
    Overhead view of Box Bracket 1.JPEG
    864.7 KB · Views: 50
What are you gonna run for rear springs?
Haven't thought that far a head, still have the stock leafs on. I know that Chevy 63's are common and fairly cheap. I've also read some prefer the ford 56's. Either of those would need some fab work. I guess I'll need to research more into rear springs.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nice. I was looking up some swap kits (RuffStuff and Sky's) last night. Just in time for Christmas.

Currently in need of bending my stick shift. It's hitting my t-case stick when I try to shift into 2nd.

Stock power steering pump blew the main seal while driving back from a failed smog test from DEQ. I bought a seal kit from RockAuto, but dropped the pump. Bought a 1980's pump from PartsGeek (didn't have the money to upgrade) but found my stock pulley didn't match the 80's pump. So I convinced my wife I needed the Trail Gear power flow kit.
Everything bolted up great, minor issues below:
-I needed to widen the hole in the middle of the new bracket to line up with the engine block.
-Haven't made the space for the new reservoir, still using the stock reservoir.
-Also, the belt that came with the kit wouldn't fit, kept the old belt.

Attachments

• HiFlo w Stock Res.JPEG
    HiFlo w Stock Res.JPEG
    574.5 KB · Views: 19
  • HiFlo bracket pre-alteration.jpg
    HiFlo bracket pre-alteration.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 18
Haven't thought that far a head, still have the stock leafs on. I know that Chevy 63's are common and fairly cheap. I've also read some prefer the ford 56's. Either of those would need some fab work. I guess I'll need to research more into rear springs
honestly 63 work really well and are simple I have a few buddy’s who run the Ford ranger/explorer springs flipped around to push the rear axle back and they seem to like them too

Nice. I was looking up some swap kits (RuffStuff and Sky's) last night. Just in time for Christmas.

Currently in need of bending my stick shift. It's hitting my t-case stick when I try to shift into 2nd.
stupid question but is your tcase shifter in backwards that can cause that to hit too

I really like both the Ruffstuff kit and Sky's kit. I've also had a few friends with first gens that had the same shifting problem. A little bending of the stick and the problem was fixed.

honestly 63 work really well and are simple I have a few buddy’s who run the Ford ranger/explorer springs flipped around to push the rear axle back and they seem to like them too
Rad! Thanks for the feedback Shitboxtoyota, looks like that's the route I'll be going.

Not a dumb question (as far as I know), I thought that might be the issue, but when I flipped the stick around, I couldn't cycle through the 2/4-H/L gears. I don't know why it wouldn't work flipping it around. In my mind the J-pattern is created by the shift rails, so the stick should be able to function either way?

thanks J.Cole, I have a neighbor with an FJ-40 who suggested the same. He mentioned just getting a yellow butane torch to heat it up. I checked what clearance I need between the tease shifter and dash. Looks like I don’t need much bend to make it work.

Started a new job and haven’t had time to update. Had a great Saturday a few weeks back. Ended with a clicking noise in the front end while in 4H/4L, especially when applying the throttle. Haven’t pinpointed that noise yet.
Made it as far as I could with the open front diff.

Attachments

• 68A6B7D2-E6F8-4679-A1B5-D0C5B52CD954.jpeg
    68A6B7D2-E6F8-4679-A1B5-D0C5B52CD954.jpeg
    872.3 KB · Views: 21
Glad you started one. Do you have any pics of the high steer install? My bump steer is god awful and I'm lucky it doesn't snow in Mississippi because it would be too dangerous to drive jerking all over the place. Crossover steering is high on the list for mine
I’m happy with the install, but I also had no idea what I was doing. Did some internet research, used TG’s instructions and looked at other pictures of installed IFS boxes to compare. I wish I cleaned the area more thoroughly. Would have resulted in cleaner welds.
I did a lot of double checking, making sure the box lined up with the steering shaft. Then trying to get the bracket lined up properly before I drilled through the frame.
Once I was satisfied with the placement, I jacked up the front axle as much as I could to make sure the nothing would bind.

Attachments

• 79713370-01DA-4D72-B4C4-EA110C459F7A.jpeg
    79713370-01DA-4D72-B4C4-EA110C459F7A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • F397A5E2-BE7F-4554-87B8-C382601BD3C4.jpeg
    F397A5E2-BE7F-4554-87B8-C382601BD3C4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • F426878C-40C5-4124-B237-86546CF02CEC.jpeg
    F426878C-40C5-4124-B237-86546CF02CEC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Think I’ll eventually upgrade to the Chevy 63s. But I’ll need to pay off some debt before I make that move. Looks like Sky’s off-road will be the kit I get.

Bought chromoly for the front axle from Front Range, also an air locker and 5.29s from Marlin. 3-4 weeks is what I heard 🤞

Last edited:
Update.

I purchased an 82 flatbed w/exo cage that has '84 4Runner 22RE and running gear. Since that will be my wheeler, my thoughts are to restore the '79. ie, fixing the rust holes and slow pulling dents. Nothing exciting, but a project none the less.

I'll pull some pics of the Lunchbox I threw in the rear axle. I got some sliders that I purchased prior to the '82, I guess I'll still throw those on?

Focused a lot more attention to the 82 truggy. Took it up last September and broke the hub gear. Found some missing teeth in the R&P and finally got it all back together.

Top Back Refresh