What's new

Limits of strength on doubled transfer case

Just pricing things out... you could do 3 cases cheaper (assuming you get cases cheap, or already have them) than duals with 4.7.. if you had the room. and it would be lower 11.8 vs 10 .7 . Two adapters for $800 or an adapter and gears for $1000.

You want the 4.7s in the rear case, especially if its not 23 spline. Too much gear reduction in the front case causes a lot of stress. Your build plans sound good!

Go try and run a long trail like Fordyce or any of the decent hammer trails. Your clutch and/or back will be smoked 1/3-1/2 way though.

Dual stocks is manageable.

Yes, I have, many in one day. And no, they weren't.
:laughing::laughing:

personal preference, but i like having the option, do most of my wheeling with the 4.7, well 4.0 for me and my old inchworms, but then have the option to use the 2.28 and ill run the reduction box in 2.28 with the transfer case in hi sometimes but never on anything hard

edit: im 22re, manual, dual cases 4.0 in the rear on taco width toy axles and dot 37's, im pretty gentle on it

Failgear lefty

20191006_141143.jpg

note the modified idler gear failed due to no heat treatment where it was modified.
this was dualed had 3 mounts (taco trans).
2x4'd it out from buck isl.
so it takes a lot to break a case...:beer:

Just pricing things out... you could do 3 cases cheaper (assuming you get cases cheap, or already have them) than duals with 4.7.. if you had the room. and it would be lower 11.8 vs 10 .7 . Two adapters for $800 or an adapter and gears for $1000.

You want the 4.7s in the rear case, especially if its not 23 spline. Too much gear reduction in the front case causes a lot of stress. Your build plans sound good!
Ummm
WHAT?:confused:

All of the first paragraph, I are confused:emb:
Are you sayin do tripples?

Yeah. Im saying if you already had the cases, and you stuck with 21 spline stuff.. two adapters are cheaper than one adapter and 4.7 gears and it will give you lower gears for less money. 2.28x4.7 is 10.7:1 and 2.28x2.28x2.28 is 11.85:1.

AA Adapter through polypro for 377 each (377x2 is 754, I rounded up to 8)

https://www.polyperformance.com/advance-adapters-toyota-dual-case-crawler-kit

4.7 gears for 600, plus 377 for an adapter.. $977 (again I rounded up)

Save $223 by going tripples. Could be fun. Who knows. Id probably go this route if I toast another set of 4.7 gears (but 23 spline). Got plenty of room in my extracab truck for 3 cases.

Last edited:
Yeah. Im saying if you already had the cases, and you stuck with 21 spline stuff.. two adapters are cheaper than one adapter and 4.7 gears and it will give you lower gears for less money. 2.28x4.7 is 10.7:1 and 2.28x2.28x2.28 is 11.85:1.

Save $223 by going tripples. Could be fun. Who knows. Id probably go this route if I toast another set of 4.7 gears (but 23 spline). Got plenty of room in my extracab truck for 3 cases.
That's lame go dual transmissions instead :flipoff2:

I think someone has fantasies of driving OTR in the 60's. Brownie box on a twin stick Mack make you hard, does it? :lmao:

I have done the tightwad math, yours checks out. I could probably swing it from a length standpoint in the 4Runner, but the mechanical advantage on the rear case, mixed with my driving style, even factoring for relatively low power, seems like asking for it. I have piles of 21 spline cases, but wouldn't attempt this without a 23 output/input on the second gear reduction/main t-case.

Sounds fun thought. Hell, G52+stock low+stock low+stock low+5.29=245 crawl ratio!:smokin:

I think someone has fantasies of driving OTR in the 60's. Brownie box on a twin stick Mack make you hard, does it? :lmao:

I have done the tightwad math, yours checks out. I could probably swing it from a length standpoint in the 4Runner, but the mechanical advantage on the rear case, mixed with my driving style, even factoring for relatively low power, seems like asking for it. I have piles of 21 spline cases, but wouldn't attempt this without a 23 output/input on the second gear reduction/main t-case.

Sounds fun thought. Hell, G52+stock low+stock low+stock low+5.29=245 crawl ratio!:smokin:
My last truck was 243.1. It was absolutely useless.

Yea a 6' long drivetrain onnan110" wb....:stirthepot::flipoff2: Bawhaha

edit
come awn Asin
never using the brakes???:beer:

My last truck was 243.1. It was absolutely useless.
I figured 245.1 was more of a retard bragging right than useful. The options in between interest me more though as I currently only have 47.1
#skinnypedal
#rockbouncing
:homer:

Who doesn't want to be in 5th going over a rock at .2 mph/5500rpm?:jester:

I figured 245.1 was more of a retard bragging right than useful. The options in between interest me more though as I currently only have 47.1
#skinnypedal
#rockbouncing
:homer:

Who doesn't want to be in 5th going over a rock at .2 mph/5500rpm?:jester:
I spent a lot of time in 2nd or 3rd gear in 4.7 low between obstacles. Double low was handy for yanking trucks out of steep ravines.

Many? Which trails? I'd like to see video of it
Really dude? I did not want to go here.

I'm an EMC finisher during the early years. Do you want me to name all the trails I've ran in one day at that time? Video? Whatever... Search #488 EMC, there's plenty. Stampede as well. I'm not going to hand you "evidence" on a plate because I don't need to, it's out there.

I'm a simple man, that's why I kept my post simple. If you must know look into it. You trying to call me out is school girl shit.

I'm an EMC finisher during the early years. Do you want me to name all the trails I've ran in one day at that time? Video? Whatever... Search #488 EMC, there's plenty. Stampede as well. I'm not going to hand you "evidence" on a plate because I don't need to, it's out there.

I'm a simple man, that's why I kept my post simple. If you must know look into it. You trying to call me out is school girl shit.
Pretty sure it was you you that damn near tore a forged high steer arm in half. There’s a picture floating around the old site of it.

Pretty sure it was you you that damn near tore a forged high steer arm in half. There’s a picture floating around the old site of it.
Yes, I did. I can't remember what year it was. I ripped two of them apart in the course of three years. FROR keyed arms have been serving me well since then.

I'd actually just like to see videos of it, take it however you want :laughing:

Stock gearing sucks on the trail. Racing is a whole different thing.

Got a buddy who just broke a stock rear output.
He’s got an 86 with a factory 22RE to the A340 Auto with that odd trans/tcase coupled together case. He has an inchworm adapter that puts it to dual cases. 2.28 gears in both cases. Upgraded 23 spline between the cases and stock outputs.

he’s on a Chevy 60/14 bolt with 5.38s and 43in interco stickies.

he’s trying to figure out if he should ditch the Toy cases or upgrade them. What’s Irates thoughts?

I personally wish he had a dana 70 vs the 14 bolt to do 6.17-7.17 gears to take load off the cases.

with only 2.28/2.28 cases I will say he loads it up on the TQ converter pretty good which probably doesn’t help but he’s concerned about stripping out the 4.7 gears if he does those. He will do a 30 spline rear output if it goes back in.

anyone with experience on this or thought feel free to chime in

What to do?!?
Easy swap to cromo 30's and a set of 4.7's in the rear.
Or
Fab up a bunch of new shit for the swap out...
The answer to that will tell him.
See sig line.

He’s got an 86 with a factory 22RE to the A340 Auto with that odd trans/tcase coupled together case. He has an inchworm adapter that puts it to dual cases. 2.28 gears in both cases. Upgraded 23 spline between the cases and stock outputs.

he’s trying to figure out if he should ditch the Toy cases or upgrade them. What’s Irates thoughts?

I personally wish he had a dana 70 vs the 14 bolt to do 6.17-7.17 gears to take load off the cases.

with only 2.28/2.28 cases I will say he loads it up on the TQ converter pretty good which probably doesn’t help but he’s concerned about stripping out the 4.7 gears if he does those. He will do a 30 spline rear output if it goes back in.

I would upgrade to something other than toy cases. With that motor you basically have an indestructible drivetrain once the toy parts are out of there. Additionally Toyota stuff is getting expensive and hard to find it seems.

Wtf? ??
Lets put an air cooled vw in a humve "it's a bullet proof engine"

Following this logic we get....
Here's the "fuse" (the remaining toy parts of the drivetrain)!
Clucth
Rods
Crankshaft
So ummm!
The 22re "drivetrain " you mentioned was, till "tons,tires,skinny pedal happens"!

Last edited:
Wtf? ??
Lets put an air cooled vw in a humve "it's a bullet proof engine"

Following this logic we get....
Here's the "fuse" (the remaining toy parts of the drive)train
Clucth
Rods
Crankshaft
So ummm!
First re read the post, what auto outside of semi level trans has a clutch. Additionally it's already on tons, unless Toyota started building and installing factory front 60s and rear 14bolts.

Second you would have a less than 100hp motor powering 1ton+ level parts, I don't see where the confusion is.:homer:

Third even you posted photos of an exploded Toyota transfer case not on tons and 43" stickies.

So ummmmmm

i blew up 4.7s with my 43 stickies, went to an atlas using a toy to d300 adapter

First re read the post, what auto outside of semi level trans has a clutch. Additionally it's already on tons, unless Toyota started building and installing factory front 60s and rear 14bolts.
Edit
Semantics
T.c.will h8 life as bad as a clutch!

Second you would have a less than 100hp motor powering 1ton+ level parts, I don't see where the confusion is.:homer:

Edit
So a 22re has what? 100+- 25???

Third even you posted photos of an exploded Toyota transfer case not on tons and 43" stickies.

Edit yes I did and it was 100% engendered by trailgear!

So ummmmmm

lets Agree that the stock yota 4x4 1983 back was purty stout in comparison to EVERYTHING out at the time!
Can we build better today? YES!

Sorta like this comparison...
GIMME $100K ULTRA 4 RIG compared to a $400 k rig and we can say the ultra four is weaksauce!

Let ue recall the 79 up hilux rolled out ith hat 29" tire?

I'll jump in with some irrelevant info.

I did duals 2.28/4.7 behind a V6 Auto, both cases doubled down is too low, and i started rethinking my decision, but then we've wheeled it some, and it's a nice option to go from case to case, trail riding 2wd in 2.28 keeps the trans temps down and the converter spun up, switching to the 4.7 for crawling and technical stuff works great.

On my 22re truck same setup with a manual, same results, but there are times crawling I'm in both cases, and start in like 3rd gear.

the 2.28/4.7 combo has served me well and givem me plenty of options seperate from each other.

As far as strength, I've broke plenty of stuff around the duals. and the ones behind my 22re has been in that rig through years of service.

I'm not running monster stickies though. or the weight of tons

I know Cool Starry Bra right.:flipoff2:

EDIT

I WAS SLOW TYPING

lets Agree that the stock yota 4x4 1983 back was purty stout in comparison to EVERYTHING out at the time!
Can we build better today? YES!

Sorta like this comparison...
GIMME $100K ULTRA 4 RIG compared to a $400 k rig and we can say the ultra four is weaksauce!

Let ue recall the 79 up hilux rolled out ith hat 29" tire?
Did you have a stroke or something, because if you did I would feel like a dick, if not get your glasses checked and work on reading comprehension.

I don't know what you are even arguing about, go re read his friends specific build and what's in it. No idea what the stock Toyota truck in 1979 has anything to do with what his friend is running and if he would blow his duals up or not.

A 100hp on a good day motor powering tons and 43" stickies with a non Toyota dual setup would be damn near bomb proof.

Most likely some form of it!
No yer good!
Party weekend, guess I need to clean the spec's....
And re read the thread!
No worries
At some point we got hummers burried\busted.
Carry on bud!

Slander
Ok so I missed the unicorn "auto" (yes I know you guys are running them!)
I never even think of these as an option, hence my listing "clutch" !
So swap that (clutch) to T.C. heating up and causing issues.
I'm still not sold on losing the engine braking for said torque multiplication!
My point was that the fuse has to be in there somewhere!

Near as I can tell he has a 22re and a 340 slushbox so, lets be generous and say 125 hp hamster losing hp thru the t.c.! Lets add the extra length increasing d.l. Angle.
(3rz ok yea but a 22...)

So a toy on tons big as 1 ton t cases or 4 gear atlas, now the dl is the fuse onna good day, if not the STOCK automatic is next fuse (I have not heard of any high strength guts being offered for them!) So let expect the drivelines to be the fuse , but if not not the "stock" components (adapter,couplers ect.) behind the block and in front of the t case are next ?yes?
That's where I was headed in my foggy mind (insert double flipoff here) at some point the hamster under the hood is gunna be to weak to compensate...

So what'd I miss?

Last edited:

You realize, your first paragraph contradicts the 2nd?

Tripples puts more stress on the rear most output than 4.7s in the crawl box. You have 5.2 in the crawl boxes combined.

That being said, lots of guys in our group had done triples. Some people believe extremely low gears in the snow is helpful. I know of a guy who did a 2.28/5.0/5.7 case set up:lmao: it was absolutely retarded. On the Rev limiter it was way slower that a typical dual case 4.7 at idle. Another guy had 2.28/4.7/atlas.

There is a few options for chromo out puts. Stock ones are definitely a weak point. I broke 2 a 2500 lb 80 hp Sami.

I'd look at putting that bell housing onto an XJ aw4(same trans family) , then he has a round 6 and can do whatever black box, D300 or atlas. Semi common.

You realize, your first paragraph contradicts the 2nd?

Tripples puts more stress on the rear most output than 4.7s in the crawl box. You have 5.2 in the crawl boxes combined.

Yeah, I get that that. I was more talking about a 4.7 in the front case with a 21 spline 2.28 rear case. They always seem to snap the input to the 2nd case.

Top Back Refresh