What's new

Lets talk about milwaukee cordless ratchets...

billybob_81067

Redneck
Member Number
Loc
Southeastern Colorado
I've been wanting to buy a 3/8" cordless ratchet for a while now. Some recent wrenching with only a couple clicks worth of swing out of my ratchet while standing on my head and cursing like a sailor have pretty much sealed the deal that I need to get one.

They have 3 models that I'm interested in.

The 2457, https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Ratchets/2457-20

The 2557, https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Ratchets/2557-20

And the 2560, https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Ratchets/2560-20

I'm kinda leaning towards the extended reach one because the head looks smaller for getting into tighter places.

What do you guys have/recommend? I have heard about the smaller head one (2457) needing replacement ratchet heads from time to time, is this really an issue, or mainly for people that abuse them?

I clicked your three links before reading your post and came to the same conclusion as you------the long reach one is the one to get.

.....and thanks for helping to spend my money, fucker!

:flipoff2:

Jeebus, the price!

$279 CAD for the tool only.

Oh, and this thing came up on amazon when I searched 2560-20
Looks handy, 22 inches long.

https://www.amazon.com/AIRCAT-808-22...778525&sr=8-12

610auB9tI5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have had the standard (non fuel) 1/4, the long fuel 1/4 and the standard length fuel 3/8. I had to rebuild the non fuel 1/4 once after 2-3 years of using it daily, it'd start to switch directions on its own and eventually the detent ball that holds the socket fell out. I bought the extended 1/4 as soon as it came out and I haven't used the short one since. If I lost all my shit and had to re-buy now, I'd only have the extended reach models.

I have a 1/4" non-fuel and a 3/8" short fuel. I'm buying the long reach 3/8 fuel next.

You need all of them. :flipoff2: The non-fuel 1/4" has a smaller head for tight areas, the short fuel can get in some places a long one can't, and the long one you need because most women will agree longer is better.

I have the standard length fuel m12.

I used to think my 3/8 impact (or 1/4" hex with adapters) was my favorite tool, now it mostly collects dust, the m12 ratchet is the shit! I use it for damn near everything.

I hadn't seen the extended reach, thanks asshole :flipoff2:

I have the short 3/8” m12 and a couple 3/8” m12 fuels. I burnt the non fuel one up. Definitely does not have the grunt the fuel version does but the head is a bit smaller. Will be getting some extended length ones.

The snatch-on battery ratchets are better than the Milwaukee but the $400+ and propriety batteries makes the Milwaukee have a better performance to price ratio.

You’ll find yourself not using your ratchets anymore!

Last edited:
Ive been using the 2457 for two years now. Its been a great tool to have around the garage. The only complaint that i have. Is it feels like its going to break if you try to use it break somthing lose. Ill always break a nut/bolt lose with another tool if the cordless cant do it under its own power. At the end of the day id buy another one. its been very handy to have.

Ive been using the 2457 for two years now. Its been a great tool to have around the garage. The only complaint that i have. Is it feels like its going to break if you try to use it break somthing lose. Ill always break a nut/bolt lose with another tool if the cordless cant do it under its own power. At the end of the day id buy another one. its been very handy to have.

That's kinda what I'm thinking I will do, break stuff loose with a breaker bar and socket and then just use the cordless ratchet to go in and remove stuff so I'm not there swinging a ratchet 3 clicks at a time getting pissed off.

Mine kinda feels that way if I hold it down on the battery, I try to choke up on it a bit and have broken a ton of stuff loose with it without issues. Another reason the extended reach would be nice.

I will say I don't recommend the bigger m12 batterys with it, I used one once, my kid knocked it over and the battery broke. Dropped it a million times with the more flush battery's with no issues. That and the small battery lasts forever on it.

I concur, depending on what I'm working on I'll use it to break it loose or ill grab a regular ratchet the zip everything off. I'm not a professional mechanic by any means but it saves tones of time and well worth it.

Mine kinda feels that way if I hold it down on the battery, I try to choke up on it a bit and have broken a ton of stuff loose with it without issues. Another reason the extended reach would be nice.

I will say I don't recommend the bigger m12 batterys with it, I used one once, my kid knocked it over and the battery broke. Dropped it a million times with the more flush battery's with no issues. That and the small battery lasts forever on it.

2x on the small battery. the large one makes it harder to use since the battery sticks past the socket surface. Defeats using it in small places.

I now want the extended version.

Why fuck around? Right angle impact wrench is the best of both worlds

I'm assuming you can't manual ratchet with that thing like you can a ratchet.

Wonder how that works, can't wait 'til AvE boltrs it.

Edit: I looked it up and it's a bit cheaper than the fuel long reach ratchet.

You can use it like a ratchet. I have the standard M12 3/8 non fuel one. It’s handy for getting things snugged down or run off nuts after breaking them loose. It’s only got like 35 ft/lbs if I remember. Which really isn’t great. I’ve got the regular size battery(whichever is the smallest) and it doesn’t have enough power to break things loose. I’d love the fuel but I don’t use it enough to justify it.

You can use it like a ratchet. I have the standard M12 3/8 non fuel one. It’s handy for getting things snugged down or run off nuts after breaking them loose. It’s only got like 35 ft/lbs if I remember. Which really isn’t great. I’ve got the regular size battery(whichever is the smallest) and it doesn’t have enough power to break things loose. I’d love the fuel but I don’t use it enough to justify it.

What's it like being the slow kid in the class?

The right angle impact has the same problem all the right angle impacts do and that's the head is fucking huge and going to prevent it fitting places a ratchet can go, AND it freewheels so if it can't break the bolt loose on its own then you can't just manually break it free and then use the tool to spin it. If it has the jam to break em free it'd be great for crank bolts but that's about it IMO.

The new Impact wrench looks awesome.. It'll be one of my next buys after i get the cordless hole hawg.

Top Back Refresh