What's new

Let's see those precision rifles.

Roc Doc

2A SNBI
Member Number
Loc
Way out West.
So GA Precision came out with a new 6mm cartridge last year and they named it the 6mm GT, and the guys in the PRS community quickly named it Gay Tiger. It's designed to shoot 105-115g bullets at or near 3000fps, and have better feeding from standard short action magazines than something like 6 Dasher, and have better barrel life than .243 or 6mm Creedmoor. My 24" target crowned 6.5mm Creedmoor was a serious tack driver, but without a threaded barrel I couldn't use a brake on it which meant it was hard to keep the reticle on target in fast strings of fire, so when it finally was shot out at 2800 rounds I elected to go with the Gay Tiger, in a 25" barrel with a big-ass four port brake, and in a heavier contour. Now it's rock solid, and recoil is near non-existent and it's a fucking laser. Worked up a load with RL16 and 109g Berger Hybrids, and it runs 2929fps with a SD of 4.2 and ES of 12.

After getting my load consistent, I loaded up some rounds with increasing seating depths to see how much jump would be best. This target was at 200yds, so all groups are well under MOA, and some are less than 1/2 MOA. I thought it was interesting that 4 of the 5 seating depths showed significant vertical stringing and one did show hardly any...obviously that's the one I'll be using.
KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis, Atlas bipod, Badger 2008 action, Benchmark MTU 1:7.5" twist barrel, Vortex Razor Gen II, 4.5-27x EBR 2C reticle. It's a fucking laser and I can highly recommend this cartridge for competition and even hunting.

0214211601a.jpg

0207210834.jpg

0214211601b.jpg

I have a Ruger No1 in 25-06 that used to put dogs, ground hogs, deer down at whatever range I could see them. Have not shot it in 7-8 years. 115 Ballistic Tip Winchester is/was it's choice.

Have always wanted a No 1, but these days I don't know what caliber I'd get. 25-06 is a screaming cartridge for sure. I'm just happy that I found a good node at somewhat under max pressure. It seems the best loads are usually up near max, and that accelerates barrel wear.

Arctic Warfare currently wearing a 260 Remington barrel.
PXL_20201212_194208838.jpg

AI AX in any short action caliber I want using a cressant wrench.

PXL_20201204_024942908.jpg

Old school Big Horn TL-2 in 300 windchest magnimumum
PXL_20201004_151551391.jpg

And my trusty Short Action Customs Alpha 11 Action ( Defiance deviant), AW cut, 1:8 twisty 308 win.

IMG_20190619_213925.jpg

Arctic Warfare currently wearing a 260 Remington barrel.

AI AX in any short action caliber I want using a cressant wrench.

Old school Big Horn TL-2 in 300 windchest magnimumum

And my trusty Short Action Customs Alpha 11 Action ( Defiance deviant), AW cut, 1:8 twisty 308 win.

Nice rigs. What can is on that 260?

I have a Tikka 6.5CM in a Bravo chassis, and with the AAC .30 can I felt like it was putting too much heat back in the barrel during 10 shot strings. It's nowhere near as heavy as the Krieger I used to have on the Whisky, not the current Benchmark. It would hammer for the first 3-5 shots then the group would open up. When it's shot out I'll go to a heavy contour, and probably keep it in 6.5cm to shoot on windy days. Use it with a brake these days.

20181104_111118.jpg

P1070121.JPG

Nice rigs. What can is on that 260?

Thunderbeast 30 BA that's pretty old but a couple years ago I sent it back to get recored to their newest Ultra series core and compact brake attachment. Old school skin, with the latest tech inside

Thunderbeast 30 BA that's pretty old but a couple years ago I sent it back to get recored to their newest Ultra series core and compact brake attachment. Old school skin, with the latest tech inside

Nice. I'm a big TB fan. Had a chance at a 50% off coupon on a prize table and fucked up and let it get away.

Savage Model 12LRP but all that's really left of it is the receiver and trigger group and part of the bolt. Originally .243Win I had it a new barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor installed 6-7 years ago when that caliber was the thing to have.

26" X-Caliber barrel, stainless, fluted, 1:6, muzzle brake, heavy profile
XLR Carbon (first gen) chassis
Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mk IV ELR
Harris bipod
Accushot monopod
Fluted bolt body, extractor and ejector upgrade, extended and knurled bolt handle
12oz Accutrigger Target version

When I do my job right, it'll shoot just under 1" groups at 200yd off of front bags and just shouldering the rifle with no extra rear support, with 147gr Hornady ELD-M factory ammo. One day I'll run it on a sled and see what it can really do. My brother now has my single stage press and dies, or I would have a custom load figured out by now.

20200118_112211.jpg

My daughters F-Class rifle.
Mcmillan Kestros stock custom fitted to her at their facility when we ordered it. Her color and pattern choice.
Panda F-class short action
Brux 1.25 dia heavy barrel chambered win win .284 with a 32" finished length
RAD recoil to help her out on the big matches. 80ish rounds a day for 7 straight days at nationals adds up on a thin frame 16yo. This makes it so much more comfortable.
Sightron S3 8-32 X 56 scope
She's loading berger 184's with Norma Brass and H4350 powder.

http://
4UTEMXL.jpg

One I’m putting together as a shop rifle to thump some pigs. Everything except for the action was either a trade, a freebie, or something I had laying around.

Rubicon Precision house action
Manners EH-1A Elite
Brux 1:9 heavy Palma chambered in 308 Bisley, finished at 18.5”
Timney Calvin Elite trigger
Old Nightforce 3.5-15 FP1
Henderson Precision ARCA rail
Henderson Precision Harris/ARCA adapter
Patriot Valley Jet Blast muzzle brake

It’s waiting on Cerakote and laser engraving the barrel. The Brake is getting replaced with a SilencerCo ASR brake/mount when my Omega 300 comes in.

4414901C-AE13-4938-B263-18FF1FD0A605.jpeg

C7E191F3-831A-474B-ADEC-E2FE0A6C6563.jpeg
311EECC7-D9E3-48DA-853E-2C67CE91F9B8.jpeg

My 300 Norma
Surgeon 1581XL action/bottom metal
32” Custom contour Bartlein barrel (1.375” shank)
Manners T4-A with heavy fill
Settled on 215 Berger Hybrids at 3140 FPS.

It’s been done for over a year, but I’ve only had time to shoot it once. A friend took it and did the load development for it. We all met up at another friends awesome property/range. Borrowed a scope, mounted it at the range, for a quick 100 yard zero, then went on to make a first round hit at 1600 yards. 1600 was easy so we moved to 2000. The lighting on the target was making it difficult, but making hits was still happening.
2BBE8FAD-3DE0-4268-86C8-839C9BF7AD96.jpeg

5BC18F87-514B-4B2C-A85F-748650BF2581.jpeg

2BBE8FAD-3DE0-4268-86C8-839C9BF7AD96.jpeg

My 300 Norma
Surgeon 1581XL action/bottom metal
32” Custom contour Bartlein barrel (1.375” shank)
Manners T4-A with heavy fill
Settled on 215 Berger Hybrids at 3140 FPS.

It’s been done for over a year, but I’ve only had time to shoot it once. A friend took it and did the load development for it. We all met up at another friends awesome property/range. Borrowed a scope, mounted it at the range, for a quick 100 yard zero, then went on to make a first round hit at 1600 yards. 1600 was easy so we moved to 2000. The lighting on the target was making it difficult, but making hits was still happening.

Thanks alot Robert, I was all happy about getting first round hits at 1375 with the 6.5.:flipoff2: Do you know where that Norma round goes transonic?

Thanks alot Robert, I was all happy about getting first round hits at 1375 with the 6.5.:flipoff2: Do you know where that Norma round goes transonic?

I honestly haven’t checked. We got a zero 100 yard zero and velocity, entered the data into the Kestrel and moved to 1600. A 215 target hybrid at 3140 fps has got to be supersonic quite a ways out though.

I honestly haven’t checked. We got a zero 100 yard zero and velocity, entered the data into the Kestrel and moved to 1600. A 215 target hybrid at 3140 fps has got to be supersonic quite a ways out though.

Quick calc shows 1150fps at 2k yds, 18.7 mils of elevation. Impressive.

This is my PRS gun for 2021.

Impact 737
Foundation Centurion
26" Bartlein MTU in 6 Dasher
Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage
Area 419 Hellfire Brake
Area 419 Weighted ARCA rail
Kahles k525i

thumbnail_IMG_3511.jpg

A lot of local guys jumped on 6gt, now they are all moving away from it due to brass issues. 6bra with 105 hybrids under 2800 seems to be what they are shooting now. People who are willing to spend the money are shooting A-tips and some guys are shooting 103 vapor trails because they can't get 105's.

This is my PRS gun for 2021.

Impact 737
Foundation Centurion
26" Bartlein MTU in 6 Dasher
Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage
Area 419 Hellfire Brake
Area 419 Weighted ARCA rail
Kahles k525i

A lot of local guys jumped on 6gt, now they are all moving away from it due to brass issues. 6bra with 105 hybrids under 2800 seems to be what they are shooting now. People who are willing to spend the money are shooting A-tips and some guys are shooting 103 vapor trails because they can't get 105's.

Nice rig.

I think the guys that are having split necks or whatnot are pushing 6GT too hard. I purposely went with a conservative load for that reason and hopefully to extend barrel life. My 105's and 109's are still supersonic at 1400yds, which is plenty for the matches I shoot.

Nice rig.

I think the guys that are having split necks or whatnot are pushing 6GT too hard. I purposely went with a conservative load for that reason and hopefully to extend barrel life. My 105's and 109's are still supersonic at 1400yds, which is plenty for the matches I shoot.

Thanks, due to the snowpocalypses I haven't had a chance to do any load development or practice yet.

I think they were blaming it on Hornady brass, but I'm not sure. I don't plan on going to 6gt so I didn't listen very closely. The idea around here is to load light for less recoil and making it easier to spot your shots.

Thanks, due to the snowpocalypses I haven't had a chance to do any load development or practice yet.

I think they were blaming it on Hornady brass, but I'm not sure. I don't plan on going to 6gt so I didn't listen very closely. The idea around here is to load light for less recoil and making it easier to spot your shots.

I've heard that same bitch about Hornady brass on 6.5CM, but I was on 7x firings with no issues. I will say however that the case to case weight variations were much wider than Lapua small primer brass.

And yeah the recoil reduction is another benefit of not chasing max velocity.

Are the guys with split necks not an ealing brass? Im getting 10+ firings on Hornady and Federal brass.

Are the guys with split necks not an ealing brass? Im getting 10+ firings on Hornady and Federal brass.

I'm sure they are, but I don't know a lot about the problems they were having. Are you getting 10+ firings on Hornady 6gt brass?

When I was shooting Hornday 6.5creed brass, I had more problems with the primer pockets opening up than anything.

I'm sure they are, but I don't know a lot about the problems they were having. Are you getting 10+ firings on Hornady 6gt brass?

When I was shooting Hornday 6.5creed brass, I had more problems with the primer pockets opening up than anything.

No sorry. Just 6.5cm. Ive downsized to just a few calibers and dont plan on adding any new ones unless I have to.

6GT uses small primers, and I bought 400 rounds of Berger 6.5cm when it was decently priced. The Berger Ammo uses Lapua small rifle primers, so I got to shoot some super-premium ammo and now have the Lapua brass to use in 6.5CM.

KRG Bravo with ARCA rail, barricade stop, minimal spigot, Armageddon gear sling, and a notched Harris. I let the kids attack a FDE one with krylon and sponges.

Bergara B14R with a Sig tango 4, 4-16 for the nrl stuff.

Rem 700 w/McGowan #8 remage in 243ai, Bix & Andy, Mark 5hd 5-25 TMR. 112 match burners and H1000.

Rem 700 w/McGowan #4 remage in 25-06, it's a laser with 115's and 131's. I keep threatening to use it in a match since it makes the Creed look like a rock.

I grabbed a 6.5 Creed Bergara B14 ridge because it was available and threaded. That thing is amazingly accurate for a $700 rifle. I'll still drop it in the KRG if the club doesn't have hit indicators as the 147's hit harder than the 112's.

Sig srd762 on all the centerfire stuff. No can for the .22 because I had accuracy variation from clean to dirty to very dirty. Wasn't consistent enough for matches.

​​​​​​ Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200607_113232117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	341.6 KB ID:	319745

Last edited:

Instead, I read "Point of Impact", then shot out to 1000 yards with one of the Ten Black Kings.

It's fun to take a person that's never shot long range, and get the dope dialed and watch them get hit's at 1k. It's really not that hard with modern rifles and ammo...on a windy day that's different, but my local range is calm most of the time or the wind is coming from 6 O'clock.

Top Back Refresh