What's new

Let’s talk chainsaws

AKnate I taught Jewels to start her 211 with it on the ground, her foot is small enough, and Easy2Start system, she doesn't have any issues.

I don't think she could start the Husqvarna (it's a 51 with a 55 jug) if her life depended on it. She simply doesn't have the upper body strength or wing span to pull and/or drop start. I'm not sure I could start it on the ground cold, after warmed up maybe, big maybe though.

We'd get old timers bringing in their old saws "won't start" and it would amount to them not having enough strength anymore. Sucks, but that's life.

Our main mechanic was in a chair, got crushed by a septic tank in the 90s.
"Sorry old man, you ain't got enough lead in the pencil anymore" and old dudes not sure WTF to say, cause who yells at a cripple?

We'd get old timers bringing in their old saws "won't start" and it would amount to them not having enough strength anymore. Sucks, but that's life.

"Sorry old man, you ain't got enough lead in the pencil anymore" and old dudes not sure WTF to say, cause who yells at a cripple?
yeah, you just need to move them to a newer saw. The newer saws have a button to eliminate the compression during startup. A child could start them. I'm an old fart now, and during a long day now, if my truck is close, I start mine on the tailgate or if not, on a stump. I am not embarassed by it, I just realize if I want to keep working, I'll have to adapt. The new saws are lighter too. I can see a day in another 10 years where I'll just move to electric.

vanity is a sin too. I'll never be what I once was, but I can still get stuff done and I do love the quiet of the forest.

Sell them an easy start saw.

Sell them an easy start saw.
These are old dudes that ate barb wire for breakfast and pissed diesel. Real men.. Not easy telling them to basically hang it up.

Honestly they probably shouldn't be running a saw at all anymore, the coordination and reaction time isn't there anymore.

Do you guys premix your own fuel or buy the 20 dollar premixed ethanol free stuff at big stores?

I mix my own. The Tru fuel shit is ok if you don't burn much, kinda expensive otherwise. I run Echo red armor at 50:1 in all my small 2 stroke stuff personally.

Do you guys premix your own fuel or buy the 20 dollar premixed ethanol free stuff at big stores?
up until about 5 years ago, I mixed my own. Now, I buy the husqvarna gas by the gallon.

No ethanol, no stabilizer needed. It costs more, but, performance wise, it is better to the degree it is worth it to me.

up until about 5 years ago, I mixed my own. Now, I buy the husqvarna gas by the gallon.

No ethanol, no stabilizer needed. It costs more, but, performance wise, it is better to the degree it is worth it to me.

anything in the husq worth the premium over say VP fuel premix?

I've bought ready made 2 stroke gas once in a pinch.

We've got a chain of gas stations called Casey's that have ethanol free 87 at every pump. The Gulf near my house and another independent shop on my regular route also have ethanol free 87. I just mix 1 gallon at a time of 2 stroke fuel, from one of my jerrycans of ethanol free I keep around for all of my other 4 stroke small engines.

I'm not as wild about the MS211 anymore. I finally replaced the spark plug. Maybe the 3rd time in the 4 years we've owned it that I've had the spark plug wire off of the spark plug.

The terminal came out of the boot. It's the most chintzy plug wire terminal, spring that wraps around the spark plug and tail of the spring has a little 90° literally pokes through the insulation on the side of the plug wire. No mechanical fastener at all keeping the terminal spring on the wire. The only thing holding it in place is the terminal boot. The terminal boot has little wings on it with grip as though you are supposed to pull on them, pretty much guaranteed to pull the boot from the terminal if you do that.

I'm guessing Stihl sells a lot of $$$ ignition coils this way, since the plug wire is potted in the coil and too short to put a proper terminal on.

I managed to slice the boot length wise with a razor knife and put it back together like the wire and terminal were a hot dog going into boot hot dog bun. I smeared some RTV in it and cinched it closed with some tiny zip ties. It works, but I dread the next time I have to remove the plug wire from the plug.

Also smoked the clutch on the old Husqvarna this weekend. Only 33 years old, they just don't make things to last anymore. :laughing:

Bunch of Chinesium options on the jungle site for replacements, but I got a NOS clutch and drum from eBay.

anything in the husq worth the premium over say VP fuel premix?
I think any of the good premixes are fine. I get the husky stuff because I'm a retard and tribal and still like Husky and it is easy for me to get at Lowes and tractor supply.

it is not an easy thing, here, to find ethanol free gas, I can go down to Laguna raceway, but, for the amount I need a year, I just end up buying the cans.

I mix my own. Stihl 2 stroke oil and the cheapest gas I can get, ethanol and all. Haven't had a carb problem in years on my own stuff

Thats what we were doing, when saws were getting used all the time. Mix up 5 gallons at a time. Never an issue, nothing sat for more than a couple days though

Live on acreage. I run cheap ass gas in gasoline appliances...

Until I'm almost done. The last fill is with the expensive ethanol free shit.

Oh, and install a shut-off and filter.

But... I also use a Makita 36v for 90% of my chain-sawing these days. Has enough power to cut the bar's length with a sharp chain. Not often I'm cutting down entire oak trees, so fuck it.

I run Echo red armor at 50:1 in all my small 2 stroke stuff personally.

Me too. I only mix up a gallon at a time using ethanol free 87 and throw a little Stabil and Star Brite Star Tron fuel stabilizer in for good measure.

Top Back Refresh