What's new

Lawless's Beer Kraut

Lawless

A turd in the herd
Member Number
Loc
Canuckistan

Quick and dirty recipe. Be prepared to eat it over the course of a week or so a little at a time.

1 gallon of sauerkraut
1 large sweet onion
2 carrots
1/2 pound or more cubed beef
1/2 pound or more cubed pork
2 bay leaves
Black pepper to taste.
BEER!!!

Chop onions and shred carrots and set aside.
In a large enough pot with a little veg oil in the bottom brown up the meat, just brown it don't cook it. Remove from pot and set aside, add a little cheap beer to the pot along with a little butter or even better bacon grease if you have some, toss in the veg and use the mix to deglaze the pot.

Now toss in the meat and sauerkraut and bay leaves and add enough water / beer to cover everything. Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer stirring now and then, you are gonna wanna simmer this for a long time, I usually will go 4 hours or more adding mostly cheap beer to replace the liquid that boils off.

At this point it's ready to eat season to taste. Usually eaten on it's own but I have seen people put it on mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

Now comes the dedication part, this stuff has enough pickling in it that it can stay on the stove top for a very long time, just keep a lid on it to keep it from drying out. I've had it there for a week before. The dedication part is adding what ever left over meats and veg from other meals to it and giving it a cook when you do,

GF and I will go through this in maybe 5 days having a lunch or dinner from it each day. Right now ours has all the above in it plus a some chopped up breakfast links, chicken pieces, ham and bacon as well as some celery, green onion and mushrooms.

Adding the left over meal stuff and reheating will change the flavor and texture it will never be the same thing twice.

Top Back Refresh