What's new

Large socket organzers?

Pt_Ranger_v8

A dministrator
Member Number
Loc
flyover land
Specifically, 3/4" and 1" drive shit. Looking for something durable that will sit in a toolbox. It doesn't hang on the wall, and it doesn't have to be portable.

I Have the hansen post style organizers for 1/4-1/2" stuff, but I have not seen any peg style for large drive sockets.

I saw some "clip" nub style one on amazon, but they don't have a large tray.

What should I be looking at for these?

Would just tack some flat stock on edge like they do in toolboxes:flipoff2:

20240125_165259.jpg

I have a old metal socket case like that one but on the service truck that allows the sockets to rub each other.

A better plan would be just organize them on a 1/2" piece of plywood then cut the holes out with holesaws or jig saws then glue to another piece of 1/4 ply. MDF would work good for both as well and be better looking.

Got my SAE sockets at an estate sale, the homemade pegboard was in the bottom of a hand carry Montgomery Ward toolbox, just dropped it in my big box. The HF metrics are just in the bottom half of the case they came in

Attachments

• 20220710_121203.jpg
    20220710_121203.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
My 3/4 drive set is in the case it came in from GP. You can buy just the case. Works decent, a couple times a year I might throw the case in a truck though I usually just grab a hand full of sockets out of it since it's stupid heavy. It does eat up a lot of tool box space which may or may not be a concern.

8029_in_case_new_2017.jpg

I bought one of these Tekton 3/4" rails though ended up not using it. I like my sockets on rails for dragging them around the mine. My 1/2" stuff is on shorter rails since I don't usually need the whole set for a job. Now that I'm thinking about it I might have to see how much room I can save with these vs. the case.

OSR33110_1.jpg

I could run off a few panels on the CNC if there is enough demand. It would likely be cabinet grade 3/4” plywood with polyurethane on it to keep it from soaking up grease. I need to check if 3/4” and 1” dowel rods will slip fit in the same size sockets, or if I’d need to drop down to 5/8” and 7/8”.

Figure we’d be talking 20 sockets per tray, starting at 1”/25mm?

I don't think 3/4" or 1" dowels will work, because they're square drive.

This is what I'm dealing with. Lots of space, but it's not used effectively.
1000013549.jpg

1000013549.jpg

You can put a round peg in a square hole of the same dimension, I doubt sockets are measured corner to corner like TV’s. It’s the square peg in the round hole that requires extra force :flipoff2:

I'd try it and report back, but I'm heading out tomorrow.

I really like the hansen style pegs, but can't find them in large format. Probably because the people who need large drive sockets are too cheap for socket organizers - as is evidenced by his thread :flipoff2:

About to upgrade the smaller stuff with triple row organizers, ideally triple row for all 3 drive sizes.

Edit, then to figure out extension and ratchet organizing.

Your problem is you have too much room in those drawers... Get more tools noob. :flipoff2:

Still trying to organize, but I haven't found the top chest yet.

Farmers aren't known for tool organization, other than buckets and tractors.

I'm trying to solve a 50+ year problem :clown:

Throw them on some rails. Here's a really bad picture of my box at work with all my sockets on rails. Rails should free up a lot of space in the drawer. I believe you have 3 rails worth of sockets in there.

20230406_224324.jpg

Here's how much space the GP box takes up, that's a 36" wide/ 30" deep snapon Epiq end cabinet drawer to give you an idea on how much drawer it eats up. I'd be much better off ditching the blow molded case and throwing the sockets on 3 or 4 rails. I really never use my 3/4" drive stuff under 1 1/2".

20230406_224127.jpg

1000013549.jpg

A 3/4" dowel will fit in a 3/4" drive socket, but probably be too tight. I'd just drop to the next size down on the dowel size.

Also keep in mind that you can have sockets sizes that are smaller than the drive. May not be an issue here because you're dealing with big stuff, but I know I have 1/2" drive sockets down to like 1/4" so using a 1/2" or 3/8" dowel would still be a problem if you made it too long.

The fuck?

Stand them up and keep them in order. Not just drop the in the drawer with no fucks given.
Tell me you've never worked 8n a farm shop without telling me you've never worked in a farm shop :flipoff2:

And they're upside down because I'm still trying to get them organized.

I'll pick up a few rails and see how they work out.

pop some 3/8" bolts through the bottom of your drawer
the fully threaded grade-2 trash ones you get for $2/lb
head under the drawer, washer, drawer, washer, lockwasher (mostly to use up your stock of useless lockwashers), nut

use them as pegs

3/4" or 1" and larger should fit over 3/4" or 1" dowels, respectively. I had few 1/2" sockets with inner diameter smaller than their drive size, however. I fixed them by to end mill the opening larger to fit on my hansen socket organizer.

Move your case to a different shallower drawer, cut the top lid off, drop in and be done.

Top Back Refresh