What's new

Lake Michigan webcam

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Grand Haven

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/michiga...m=lakemichigan

Marine Traffic - Notice how they are running the lee shoreline. Those are almost all ore boats making the last few runs as hard as they can until Jan 15 when the Soo closes.

rQ8rd0o.png

Lake Superior follows the same pattern, notice the cluster to the NorthWest, that's Thunder Bay with all the Salties and grain boats anchored in the harbor, riding it out. See the two boats down East of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Both oreboats, one the 1000' Indiana Harbor.

Ys2KJKR.png

Last edited:
It’s blowing like 40 over here just west of the lakes. It has to be getting hairy out there.

Whitefish Point to Point Iroquois MI- 1040 AM EST Sun Nov 1 2020 ...STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS EVENING...

.TODAY...Northwest gales to 35 knots with gusts to around 50 knots. Snow showers and showers. Waves 11 to 16 feet. Waves occasionally around 20 feet.

.TONIGHT...Northwest wind up to 30 knots with gusts to around 40 knots. Scattered snow showers. Waves 11 to 14 feet.

.MONDAY...West wind 15 to 25 knots with gusts to around 30 knots. Mostly cloudy. Waves 7 to 10 feet. .MONDAY NIGHT...Northwest wind 15 to 20 knots with gusts to around 25 knots. Mostly cloudy. Waves 8 to 11 feet.

South Haven

https://www.southhaven.org/webcam

oWOrnsN.png

I was going to hang out in a spruce for an evening hunt, nope. It's blowing hard here with snow. The wind helps cover noise but I'll pass. Eastern u.p.

It’s blowing like 40 over here just west of the lakes. It has to be getting hairy out there.

I was going to hang out in a spruce for an evening hunt, nope. It's blowing hard here with snow. The wind helps cover noise but I'll pass. Eastern u.p.

I added these MarineTraffic maps to show the Ore boats hugging the lee shore. Lake Superior is basically clear of traffic. They are huddled up in Duluth and Thunder Bay.

rQ8rd0o.png

Ys2KJKR.png

Michigan is on the shit side of the lake , normally they get hammered twice as hard as Wisconsin come winter time and Illinois & Indiana get a shit ton of lake effect blizzards .

Lake Superior conditions looking ugly.

Lake Superior from Upper Entrance to Portage Canal to Manitou Island MI 5NM off shore to the US/Canadian Border- 1010 AM EST Sun Nov 1 2020 ...STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...

.REST OF TODAY...North storm force winds to 55 knots becoming northwest gales to 40 knots by mid afternoon. Scattered snow showers. Waves 12 to 17 feet occasionally to 21 feet building to 15 to 20 feet occasionally to 25 feet, then subsiding to 8 to 11 feet occasionally to 14 feet.

Ontonogan up on the Keweenaw Peninsula, up in Lake Superior

https://video.nest.com/live/kjMvMPX4Rb

1zPEMqz.png

Just left UP yesterday went up to the painted rocks shoreline glad to be back in carolina where it is 60 and sunny.

I always loved going to lake Michigan on windy days, especially at night. The power of the waves is impressive

I am so glad we are done with floating trucks over to Mackinaw island.

Lake Ontario. Only time I've ever gotten sea sick. :homer:

3441 E. Norwich Ave St. Francis, Wisconsin

Used to run up I-94/43 to Proctor & Gamble and Scott's Tissue ( Green Bay ) on a regular basis , never fun in the dead of winter as you know , also ran up through Michigan around the lake which was even worse.

Used to run up I-94/43 to Proctor & Gamble and Scott's Tissue ( Green Bay ) on a regular basis , never fun in the dead of winter as you know , also ran up through Michigan around the lake which was even worse.

Yeah, the prevailing westerly winds would pick up moisture off Lake Michigan and dump it once it hit hit the colder land mass (Michigan) on the east side of the lake.

I used to spend most summers up in northern Wisconsin, a bit east of Woodruff/Minocqua camped out on a small lake.

Last edited:
Yeah, the prevailing westerly winds would pick up moisture off Lake Michigan and dump it once it hit hit the colder land mass (Michigan) on the east side of the lake.

I used to spend most summers up in northern Wisconsin, a bit east of Woodruff/Minocqua camped out on a small lake.

My grandparents had a cabin on the rainbow flowage. Had lots of fun up there. Awesome area to have a vacation home.

My grandparents had a cabin on the rainbow flowage. Had lots of fun up there. Awesome area to have a vacation home.

Fished the flowage many times, and the Wisconsin River just below the dam. The lake we camped at was appx. 1 mile NW of the dam, Buffalo Lake.

Lake Effect is hilariously bad, it's what all of those communities have to deal with on a yearly basis, never makes the news.

I have seriously gotten Lake Effect snow in Ann Arbor before. I was there and it's snowing and I'm like "This is Lake Effect" because I am a near-Eskimo with knowledge of many, many snow types.

So I look on the computer and there is a band of lake effect snow down I-95 from Lake Michigan all the way over to the other side of the State.

True story.

Imagine being out at Stannard Rock Lighthouse for one of these November gales...

I have many times. Imagine being out there in 1884. Beginning of December, 1884, waiting for the season pickup to come. Huge November storms coming in. No wireless or telegraph.

'The Lighthouse' is some disturbing movie, but I was always spooked by Stannard Rock. Where we fished in Superior there were still sunken ship pieces you could see, all that stuff under the water half-seen gives me the heebie-jeebies, kinda wild how I ended up on a ship as a job.

Lake Effect is hilariously bad, it's what all of those communities have to deal with on a yearly basis, never makes the news.

I have seriously gotten Lake Effect snow in Ann Arbor before. I was there and it's snowing and I'm like "This is Lake Effect" because I am a near-Eskimo with knowledge of many, many snow types.

So I look on the computer and there is a band of lake effect snow down I-95 from Lake Michigan all the way over to the other side of the State.

True story.

I lived just south of south bend in 2011 I belive. We caught one of the south blowing bands coming off Lake Michigan and got 30+ inches in 24 hours. When I moved further north, 10+ inch snowfalls were common.

3 years of that bullshit was enough. No idea how people like dealing with that. Probably why all michiganders are grumpy and weird. :flipoff2:

I lived just south of south bend in 2011 I belive. We caught one of the south blowing bands coming off Lake Michigan and got 30+ inches in 24 hours. When I moved further north, 10+ inch snowfalls were common.

3 years of that bullshit was enough. No idea how people like dealing with that. Probably why all michiganders are grumpy and weird. :flipoff2:

We are a grumpy and weird lot, I am honestly one of the most congenial and normal Michiganders I know.

It's the winter, that and the mercury.

We go out through Grand Haven, New Buffalo, and St. Joe pretty regularly in the summer. Its a beautiful part of the lake.

Top Back Refresh