Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

KTM 300-Are they that great?

I bought my 300 new in '13. Its just wore out. Getting to the point where I have a monthly payment again..

Half tempted to toss a set of plastics on it, and list it for $5k "cuz its a 300!" See if somebody bites

I bought my 300 new in '13. Its just wore out. Getting to the point where I have a monthly payment again..

Half tempted to toss a set of plastics on it, and list it for $5k "cuz its a 300!" See if somebody bites

They were $6500+ for a pos when I was looking for mine. It was either go new, or get my 07 for $4k in good shape

There's a pretty cleanish '12 for $4500 right now. Been for sale for a while. Hard to sell a bike in the summer though..

There's a pretty cleanish '12 for $4500 right now. Been for sale for a while. Hard to sell a bike in the summer though..

This was last summer. No one had new bikes, and everyone thought their 10 year old bike was worth 80% of new.

I miss the days where a 2 year old bike was listed for half of new and 4-5 was like 1/4 :laughing:

I miss the days where a 2 year old bike was listed for half of new and 4-5 was like 1/4 :laughing:
Been thinking the same thing lately. I remember the days when someone else's barely broken in 1 year trade in bike was 6k out the door.
Now that number in my area is usually around 9k.

Some of us reckon that the 300s actually can fall below idle speed, under load, going up a steep section.

Definitely only when the throttle is open, or it would stall of course.

Never proved it yet by measuring rpm to see, but it sure seems like it’s revving slower than idle.

No way would any 4 stroke pull at such a low rev.
I believe this for sure.

Euro trash is well over that on the sticker.
Brand new YZ250x, still 8k OTD new :flipoff2:

You bitches don't need electric start!:flipoff2:

I've heard those new TBI 300s are some absolutely running sons of bitches though. I guess the TBI is fixing the top end power shortcomings the TPI had.

Brand new YZ250x, still 8k OTD new :flipoff2:

You bitches don't need electric start!:flipoff2:

I've heard those new TBI 300s are some absolutely running sons of bitches though. I guess the TBI is fixing the top end power shortcomings the TPI had.

I'd probably go that way if I went new. According to Google, yamaha finally added estart in 2022.

That's literally the only thing keeping me looking at white or orange bikes instead of blue.
I'm not a hard enduro rider by any means, so the e start isn't such a vibe killer for me personally. That 04 YZ I built in the Other Builds section fires up on the first kick every time, in gear or not. 2 strokes almost make that a non-issue to begin with.

That said, yeah I'm looking at 250 and 300XCs instead of the 250x. I hate jetting carbs, and I hate taking an extra second to pull out my kicker instead of hitting a button on the trail:flipoff2:

One of the group picked up a kx450x last fall. Pretty legit bike
Have not ridden a kx450x yet. I have ridden a few of the normal kawis though, and I gotta say they've stepped up a lot in recent years. Hydro clutches and making a bike that feels wel suited to bigger and taller folk seems well appreciated in general. I still like the 450FX better just for the better transmission setup for cross country riding/racing.

Though I also wish yamaha would figure out whatever KTM has for how to make a 450 start properly. Waiting on my bike to fire off while it just rolls over and coughs and chugs is annoying.

Seems like around '14 or so everybody with a 450 had the kx. Then they just kinda disappeared.

Most the 4 strokes in our group are on yz's. One guy went out and grabbed a yz450fx. The difference between it and a normal 450 in both the tight stuff and the big climbs is very obvious.

That SOB is wide though. Or at least it feels like it is.

So far everybody thats rode that kx450x has been impressed. They somehow managed to pull the wires and the gromet for the stator I believe, outta the case. Lost a bunch of oil.

Also got it stuck in a hole. And drained the battery pretty quick restarting that bike over n over.

XC-W

Where's the pics

I figure I'll start a thread once I actually ride it. But for now...

PXL_20221029_021506867.jpg

Xcw in a 150? I've always heard the 300 is really the only one that works well with the side ratio trans. Curious how that will work out in a 150.

That's gonna be a blast!

Have yet to meet somebody in the woods on a 150, that wasn't in love with the thing. Have seen more W's than I have XC's

Xcw in a 150? I've always heard the 300 is really the only one that works well with the side ratio trans. Curious how that will work out in a 150.
That's gonna be a blast!

Have yet to meet somebody in the woods on a 150, that wasn't in love with the thing. Have seen more W's than I have XC's

Horses for courses, of course.

On the wet side of WA and OR, on our tight or slow-to-mid speed steeper flowy trails, the 200XC-W was regarded as king by many riders (who like KTM). The TPI 150XC-W seems to hold that crown now.

The exceptions seem to be larger/heavier riders, riders who want to lug a bike and not rev it out, riders who want to head east or south to drier areas and ride faster terrain - all three of those groups tend to get a 250 or 300. And the riders who want to play on MX tracks get an XC model.

I'm 155-160lb in my birthday suit, am going to keep my speeds moderate at most, and want to play on technical trails. I like light chassis bikes. I'm going to gear the bike down a bit with a 52t rear sprocket to get 1st a little lower and I don't care about the loss of top speed in 6th because there's nowhere around here to safely top the bike out anyway. I think this one will be good for me.

Horses for courses, of course.

On the wet side of WA and OR, on our tight or slow-to-mid speed steeper flowy trails, the 200XC-W was regarded as king by many riders (who like KTM). The TPI 150XC-W seems to hold that crown now.

The exceptions seem to be larger/heavier riders, riders who want to lug a bike and not rev it out, riders who want to head east or south to drier areas and ride faster terrain - all three of those groups tend to get a 250 or 300. And the riders who want to play on MX tracks get an XC model.

I'm 155-160lb in my birthday suit, am going to keep my speeds moderate at most, and want to play on technical trails. I like light chassis bikes. I'm going to gear the bike down a bit with a 52t rear sprocket to get 1st a little lower and I don't care about the loss of top speed in 6th because there's nowhere around here to safely top the bike out anyway. I think this one will be good for me.

I was more talking about being stuck between gears with the smaller engine.

My 2 buddies rode a 250sx and 250xcw side by side years ago, and they both ended up thinking the sx gearing was better. I think the 1st and 2nd gap was too big in the w. Which may be corrected with your regear. I then remembered reading people thinking the 300 was best suited for the wide trans because of the extra grunt.

Of course this is years ago and I have no idea what ktm has done with the ratios since. I do know that the one thing I don't like about my 300 is that it's only an xc. I wish for a slightly lower 1st and a much taller top gear :homer:

I do know that the one thing I don't like about my 300 is that it's only an xc. I wish for a slightly lower 1st and a much taller top gear :homer:
My dad's 07 300xc was the same. We didn't mind the first gear at all, but there was never a ride that went by that he didn't lament not having a 6th gear. The engine in that thing had far more to give than the 5 speed could take:smokin:

My aunt had/has a 150XCW TPI. I've never ridden it, but I've pushed it up into a truck once or twice and holy shit, talk about a bicycle with a motor. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that Yotota

Top Back Refresh