What's new

KOH EMC 4runner, who/what

richardskinner

Member Number
Loc
Shingle Springs, CA
I talked with a Toyota 4runner driver when he was in line for tech, but I was too stupid to pay attention to his number plate. Anyone know which car it was and what went down for him on the race?

It was a gray/silverish 1st gen 4runner.

Is it the guy who tried to race it for the past three years just for social media credentials?

This one?
Screenshot_20230218-132706_Samsung Internet.jpg

I thought Alex Fleming (Sherpa) bought the social media 4runner. Funny story, Alex told me the first year he raced (the year I finished lap 1 in reverse gear) they pulled over a bunch of times in scenic areas to take pictures for the ‘gram. I was wondering why we passed them so many times during our 37 mile trek in reverse gear 😂😂 after that race he got the bug and decided to take racing seriously.

Just wanna say, I appreciate the f out of ultra4 and it’s acceptance of new ‘racers’. The majority of us don’t have a huge wad of cash to race with but many of us have the desire to try. If you have the slightest inclination to try racing give it a shot. You will not regret it. Just get help from people who have been there and done it.

Just wanna say, I appreciate the f out of ultra4 and it’s acceptance of new ‘racers’. The majority of us don’t have a huge wad of cash to race with but many of us have the desire to try. If you have the slightest inclination to try racing give it a shot. You will not regret it. Just get help from people who have been there and done it.
Exactly why I want to hear the results and lessons from the 4613 team.

I spoke with the driver because my 4runner is almost a twin of theirs. We were discussing the skys offroad 3F spring he has on the front and some clearance issues I had with the drag link. Although I'm not going to race, anything I can learn from their experience will help me on the trail.

i talked to that dude as well. He said it was his girlfriends 4runner. It looked like it was kind of cobbled together but whatever, he was out there and I wasn't... I would like to know what happened to all of the solid axle toyotas. As far as I could tell Mick Hensen in the rusty nail toyota was the only one to finish the desert lap.
I believe there was at least 4 other Yotas. Not counting the 2 ifs 4runners.
Trail Rig racing lost a rear end and front driveline.
The grey Toyota from Michigan (I think)
The LC engineering sponsored one.
The Van Halen painted one. Mean Street racing?

All I could thing of at this point, I have pics of all of them on my phone..

Good info! I have to say sadly I am not surprised his steering box broke... When I spoke with him, he had just done the Sky 3F springs up front.

I have the same setup - Skys 3F front springs and had some clearance issues. I saw he still had a drop pitman arm, which, on my set up would have absolutely crashed into the springs. I went flat pitman and still had to cut the little keeper bracket off the front of the springs because that would contact the pitman at stuff. If this wasn't addressed, it'd break your steering box for sure.

Another issue is that my drag link would contact the springs when steering driver and drooping passender/stuffing driver wheel. It would create a serious leverage point and would either tear the tire rod end due to tension OR break the sector shaft/box bearings from the bending placed on it if unaddressed. Pics below. I fixed this by making a collar and plate on the leaf keeper bracket (whatever that's called) that limits the springs bend earlier. This gave just the hair of clearance needed so the drag link didn't become a massive lever bar.

When I was talking to Andrew as he was in line for tech he said they just finished that rig, and he seemed super tired. I feel for him, as I know how hammering to get just my recreational wheeler ready for KOH week was. I can't imagine race team level of prep.

Those are my speculations to the failure. I could be totally wrong, but they would have taken my similar rig out if I hadn't fixed it before heading down to wheel.

I think I have more pics of it on my instadouche @gnarlyduderino

TRE2.jpg
TRE1.jpg
TRE fix.jpg

Here's a shot of my pitman contact before cutting the bracket. I am not sure if his drop pitman would be in that exact spot, but it def would be closer to the springs themselves.

There is a keeper bracket on rear half of springs, so that should keep the leafs from spreading out. As for bending point... I will see if it jacks them up. I might weld a lower profile tab on to help the springs flex at that point since the original bracket does that.

AGAIN total speculation, but being that we have such similar setups - this one is my main guess for the failure mode.

pitman.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh