What's new

Key West

rockmup

El Hefe
Member Number
Loc
Greenwell Springs LA.
We're going for 10 days and will be there for the 4th of July. Any must do or see things we shouldn't miss while we're there ?

The Mel Fisher museum is bad ass
Take a fishing charter
Snorkeling at Pennecamp
Drunk homo watching lol

The Mel Fisher museum is bad ass
Take a fishing charter
Snorkeling at Pennecamp
Drunk homo watching lol

Fishing charter is on my list, fags don't bother me.

We might cut it to 7 days but we'll spend every other day at the beach chillin.

Snorkeling at Pennecamp
Ernest Hemingway house and museum

I havent been there much, but every time I've been there, a small storm comes in ruining Sunset

my fav city in Florida is St Augustine..

as far as the Keys, Key Largo is also nice.. there is an old song about Key Largo..

Marathon is known as a surfing hot spot.. I have never tried there, just watched the real surfers (its close to Key Largo)

2p1.jpg

book a boat trip out to fort jefferson/dry tortugas

Last edited:
Driving. We have several things to take care of in Florida so we're just going to make a long trip out of it. Also spending 4 nights in Miami

I have enjoyed many famous beach cities between St Augustine and Miami, lots of souvenir shirts.. all be it I have only been to Florida with my parents and sister.. but they would let me wander off on my own

If you got kids, Vortex spring is off I-10 in the fl panhandle. It's owned and operated by rednecks with waterslides and rope swings. :laughing:

This is in my bucket list.

Do it bro. It's pretty cool. I went a few years ago.

They have primitive camping, but I would just do the boat trip. They take you out in the morning and you have several hours to tour, snorkel, and fuck around; then a two hour ride back.

Reactions: DMG
we'll spend every other day at the beach chillin.

You will quickly find out why the Keys were a pirate paradise. There are almost no beaches other than private constructed ones. Mangroves around nearly all land bodies. It isnt the Bahamas or Hawaii. Key West is jammed with people, no where to park. If you go there, get there early in the morning, shark a parking spot and plan on walking all day, or renting scooters. I much prefer mid Keys region, Marathon and Big Pine. Plan to spend twice the time you think it takes to drive from Key Largo to Key West. One lane each way packed with looky-lous and vacationers. I cant give you suggestions on places to eat as my favorites are all gone. Dry Tortugas is worth the time and money. Keys is for drinking and staying drunk.

Oh, and if you can, avoid stopping in Miami for fuel. It isnt worth the risk.

You will quickly find out why the Keys were a pirate paradise. There are almost no beaches other than private constructed ones. Mangroves around nearly all land bodies. It isnt the Bahamas or Hawaii. Key West is jammed with people, no where to park. If you go there, get there early in the morning, shark a parking spot and plan on walking all day, or renting scooters. I much prefer mid Keys region, Marathon and Big Pine. Plan to spend twice the time you think it takes to drive from Key Largo to Key West. One lane each way packed with looky-lous and vacationers. I cant give you suggestions on places to eat as my favorites are all gone. Dry Tortugas is worth the time and money. Keys is for drinking and staying drunk.

Oh, and if you can, avoid stopping in Miami for fuel. It isnt worth the risk.

We're not picky about the beach its more the water, Dry Tortugas in on our list. The place were staying has parking so I don't see moving the truck until we leave.

Gators ? Meh, we have them 100yrds behind the house.

Definitely fish, beaches suck and be prepared to piss on your fam if you step on jellies. If no kids drinking and go cart rental will kill a few days but if not tied to that key go north to marathon, tons of stuff to check out. Please fish and post its so fun. Also kite fish. Rent a boat and fish.

That looks nice.

Probably headed there next weekend.:grinpimp:

One of the best springs in the state IMO. On a good day it's that clear for about 5 miles until it meets the Withlacooche river. The county checks bags before you can go tubing...and there's 0 trash in the water.:smokin:

It's worth the side trip. It can be busy, but the new yorkers dont know about it. Get there early before 9.

Florida's springs are one the best things about the state. The vast majority of the tourists go to the beaches. I dont care for the beaches anymore and I only go when family is visiting. The 72 degree spring water is the best in the summer.

Last edited:
Marathon key in july 2015 I was shoveling out the berm of a 53' trailer converted to a range. It's fucking HOT! but sleeping in the sleeper was nice with the door open windows down and the breeze coming through.

Wanted to rent jet ski's but low on time, can't remember the restaurant other than it was on the right headed south right on the water, bangin food and friendly waitstaff. all the shells and shit got chucked off the dock into the water and the area was swarming with lil lobsters and brightly colored fish.

We were going to the Keys 1-2 times a year till the girls were born. Never in the dead of summer though. Either way my liver would physically leave me if I was in Key West for 10-12 days. The drinks are extra slippery there.

When we take people down we spend 1-2 days bar hop'n and site seeing our way to KW.

Hog Heaven, Jimmy Johnson's (commercial feeling but nice & has entertainment),

Take your time going down there and stop at several other keys.

It's a gorgeous drive during the day, infuriating at night. The speed limits drop at night and traffic can be a bitch ... especially if there is construction which it seems there always is.

If you fish, get a tarpon charter in Islamorada. I proposed on the beach at Cheeca Lodge & Spa which is where we fished from, it was awesome. If you want to deep sea fish, and don't get sea sick easy, walk up and down boat row at the city marina and talk to those guys for deals. If you get sea sick and need to be on a big boat, head to the Conch Republic bar/restaurant and look at the charters there.

There are prettier beaches on the way down than actually in KW, Bahia state park is really nice. Keep in mind there is no real sand in the 90% of the keys. It's actually coral bits .... from fish poop. Look it up

If you stay at the Southern Most Hotel they have a decent beach, with a good restaurant on it. Also within walking distance to the other beaches.

Keep an eye on the cruse ships outside mallory square, avoid the area when they are docked. If you have that much time there you can avoid them vomiting way to many F'n people into that part of the island.

There is a day cruise to the tortugas with drinks and food, unless you want to camp, thats plenty of time to see it.

Late on a Friday or Sat you'll want to take the wife in The Bull and grab a drink, then walk the steps to the rooftop deck for the views ;)

Schooner wharf is a fun chill spot in the day, the green parrot is our favorite bar for live music in the evenings.

Grab drinks at sunset pier for your wife to see the sunsets. If You are lucky and keep an eye dead north you'll be able to watch Navy C130s (i think) dropping boats out the back then a bunch of crazy guys go running off the plane after them. The navy practices a lot of water parachuting in that area and it's awesome to see.

Hogfish is the locals favorite fish, it's hit and miss finding it but if you make your way to Hogfish Bar & Grill (actually on stock island, last one before KW), they'll have it. Not a pretty place but worth it for the fish.

A&B is a fancy place to take the wife for a nice seafood dinner.

I could go on .....

Top Back Refresh