What's new

Just got a redcat Scout II

Winchested

IH Scout SSII
Member Number
Haven't done RC things in friggen forever. Prob 15 years or so.

Going to the "Harvesters in the Holler" IH get together in TN in a few weeks and they are doing an RC crawl comp. So I needed a RC rig. Just entry level shit but hey. It looks cool.

I want to paint the wheels alum to match mine and get a redcat axe body for it and paint to match my Scout.

Let the build begin. I haven't gone through it yet to see what is stock and what's not. All I know is it's got proline wheels/ tires on it.

I want to extend the wheel base, longer links?

Its got a fan, and headlights tails brake lights etc... Fancy.

Screenshot_20230902_180127_Facebook.jpg

Cool, I assume your main goal with it is a replica of your real rig? Longer, lower, and bigger tires will help a lot; it looks really top heavy for competition. I am not sure what classes if any they'll have at the IH event, but it would fit in best with a SORRCA Class 1 type class.

You can make your own links pretty easy with M4 Traxxas rod ends opened up with a #21 drill and 3/16" round stock with a #10-32 die run over it. Alternatively, you can use Traxxas M3 rod ends, #4-40 all thread sleeved with 1/8" tubing.

Last edited:
Whatever you do don't go crazy putting money into that rig. They're fine stock or mildly modified but it'll never be as durable as something from traxxas or axial etc. Funn rig to screw around with for sure though.

Whatever you do don't go crazy putting money into that rig. They're fine stock or mildly modified but it'll never be as durable as something from traxxas or axial etc. Funn rig to screw around with for sure though.
Ya I'm not building a comp Crawler that's for sure. More just for kid to play around up on the rocks when we're wheeling the Scout.

Just want a look a like.

Seems like there are plenty of hop up parts and predator kits to turn it comp style.

The one thing I like about the TRX4 is the lockers. Would be nice to have a 2wd /4wd option for steering.

This one's either open or locked that's it.

It came with the LED light kit which is cheesy but kinda neat.

It came with an axial 35T motor and a Lipo battery. So for the $350 I have invested (just bought the Axe body kit for it) I'm happy.

Might add some brass parts and bead lock inserts to get more weight down low. It does have wheel spacers which make it more stable.

Cool, I assume your main goal with it is a replica of your real rig? Longer, lower, and bigger tires will help a lot; it looks really top heavy for competition. I am not sure what classes if any they'll have at the IH event, but it would fit in best with a SORRCA Class 1 type class.

You can make your own links pretty easy with M4 Traxxas rod ends opened up with a #21 drill and 3/16" round stock with a #10-32 die run over it. Alternatively, you can use Traxxas M3 rod ends, #4-40 all thread sleeved with 1/8" tubing.
I think it's just more of a for fun crawling event.

Had it out playing in a broken concrete pile and it was pretty neat. Upgraded to a 25kg steering servo with the alum bumper servo mount.

Other than that being the gen 8 V1 it doesn't have the removable inner C's on the axle and they look like a weak point.

Changed out the steering and panhard links, did the servo relocate.

25kg servo. I'm sure now the weak link is the plastic portal housing on the pass side. I see it flex way too much when steering to the Right.

So brass portals are likely in the future.

Looks like the inner C's are swappable too.
20230909_143548.jpg

20231101_152804.jpg

Cheap injora wheels. More of a pain in the dick to build than full size bead locks lol!
dji_fly_20230924_043626_624_1695660949674_photo.jpg

Top Back Refresh