What's new

Just found a tick on me... am I going to die?

For reals, what kind of tick is it? It does depend on the type cuz usually it varies in area you live in...

The pathogens they carry~
1) Powassan
2) Anaplasmosis
​​​​​​3) Babeseosis
4) Rocky Mountain Spotted
5) Lone Star
6) Lyme
And plenty more-

I was wondering when someone would post all the nasty shit they carry.

Stop digging these out. Buy the little green tick pullers. They’re essential out in the east. Good chance a walk in the woods will have you crawling with them.

I was wondering when someone would post all the nasty shit they carry.

I live in an area where these tick bourne germs exist. The Powassan is rare, someone died from it within a day being bitten :eek: & the Lone Star tick is gracing the woods recently.

Only the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which the exposure was in Salisbury, N.C. (Visiting relatives). Being on life support from this tick bite isn't a joke-

prolly note. isn't lyme disease more of an east cost disease?

It’s definitely in the Midwest. Basically anywhere there’s deer ticks. My MIL has had it more than once, and one of my customers has had it.

I live in an area where these tick bourne germs exist. The Powassan is rare, someone died from it within a day being bitten :eek: & the Lone Star tick is gracing the woods recently.

Only the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which the exposure was in Salisbury, N.C. (Visiting relatives). Being on life support from this tick bite isn't a joke-

I get bit a dozen times a year. I also spend a ton of time in the woods.
15 years ago I was bitten by a lone star tick, and now have lone star tick disease. The worst part of it is it made me allergic to the meat of anything that walks on 4 legs

The ex, my son and one of my daughters contracted Lyme from ticks. One of those daughters also had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Only one of them ever had a bullseye. It's tough to get a doc to treat you for it, so you're pretty much fawked by the time you get the run around and get on antibiotics. We were told that Lyme wasn't in Mississippi, so there is no point in testing or being treated for it. What it came down to was that there were plenty of cases, but if you as a doc treat for it then the rest of the medical community in MS ousts you. So, nobody wants to be called a quack. We had to go to TN for treatment.

The ex, my son and one of my daughters contracted Lyme from ticks. One of those daughters also had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Only one of them ever had a bullseye. It's tough to get a doc to treat you for it, so you're pretty much fawked by the time you get the run around and get on antibiotics. We were told that Lyme wasn't in Mississippi, so there is no point in testing or being treated for it. What it came down to was that there were plenty of cases, but if you as a doc treat for it then the rest of the medical community in MS ousts you. So, nobody wants to be called a quack. We had to go to TN for treatment.

I had/have it. Got bit and pulled it off, and had a ring a few days later. Saw a doc and pointed to the poster on the wall about tick bites and said, look my leg looks just like that. He said he didnt think it was lyme, gave me two antibiotics and see ya. I go back 2 weeks later and it's much worse than the pic on the wall, and get the full course of antibiotics.

That's shitty. We took our 11 year old in last week to have a possible bite checked. It ended up being a normal bug bite not a deer tick, but the dr was ready to start full antibiotics with no questions if it was a deer tick bite. I couldn't imagine having to try to convince them or go to a different state to get treated.

My buddy's wife has Lyme. Its wrecked their lives. Completely took over. She has all sorts of neurological problems. Passing out, shakes, seizures, and twitches. They were travelling all around the country for treatments. She's all messed up from it.

Tick bites or deet poisioning, you're gonna die from something...
Luckily I have only had seed ticks this year, although I have caught many bigger ones crawling on me before they could bite. They all paid the ultimate price-

My buddy's wife has Lyme. Its wrecked their lives. Completely took over. She has all sorts of neurological problems. Passing out, shakes, seizures, and twitches. They were travelling all around the country for treatments. She's all messed up from it.

The 2nd or 3rd time my MIL got Lyme it messed her up. She didn't get as bad as your buddy's wife, but she had major memory issues and body pain.

One of my customers ended up in the hospital for a week or so when he got it. They didn't catch it right away so he got pretty sick before they started pumping the antibiotics.

So I literally just for whatever reason pulled up my shirt and found a tick on my tummy. Two beers in and I didn’t think but just picked it off and sunk that fucker in the sink.

I have a scar from my parents burning one off me with a cigarette from my youth.

So am I going to die now?

Yes.

I'll be by this weekend to pick up your buggy.

:flipoff2:

Keep an eye on the area where you got bit

If a “Bullseye” looking bruise starts to form I’d go talk to a Dr

Also if you start getting red spots on your belly and wrists... its Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Ask me how I know. :laughing:

First documented case in our County. Not what I wanted a Blue ribbon for! Terrible fatigue, head aches and nausea. Took a month or so for the spots to turn up. Then I figured it out. Doxycycline for a month and I started to get better. Did not linger like Lyme's. That can fawk you up.

yup, you are dead.

Lyme can be bad.
Flu symptoms after a bite are an indicator...

I'm sure you already know, I didn't read the whole thing.

Doxycycline is fukin terrible too fwiw...
Strong ass antibiotic.

I grew up in MA.
Everyone in my family has had Lyme except me.
They are all still alive but step dad caught it late and has weird annually recurring symptoms...

A family friend got it while she was going to college in Texas. They didn't figure out what it was until she had moved back to AK, and it took forever to diagnose since it's not a thing here. That was 10+ years ago and she's still pretty fucked up from it.

A family friend got it while she was going to college in Texas. They didn't figure out what it was until she had moved back to AK, and it took forever to diagnose since it's not a thing here. That was 10+ years ago and she's still pretty fucked up from it.

That's actually what happened to my buddy's wife. Was treated with...fiber myalgia I think it was, for about eight years. Then discovered it was Lyme the entire time. Bottles and bottles of pills. She's better now, but it was real bad.

Odds are you'll be fine, but tick born illness are on the rise.

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, took me about 3 months to recover, and there were a couple weeks in during the infection, I couldn't do anything, it was rough.

The tick having to be on you for 24+ hours to contract anything is a rule of thumb at best, and was complete BS in my case. My tick was on me less than 8 hours, likely less than 6 hours, and I still got RMSF. My GP wasn't going to run a tick panel on my blood work, because the tick had been on me such a short time, but I insisted, glad I did.

I had the state health department call me, and ask a few questions, about dates and locations, I guess they track RMSF.

I used to not worry so much, I've probably had a thousand tick bites or more, seemed like I got into seed ticks at least once a summer as a kid, that's an easy way to get 100+ bites at a time. I couldn't count the number of mature tick bites I've had. Only 2 ever caused any issue, the RMSF I've already mentioned, and I got the bullseye rash from another. Went to the Dr. for that one,I felt under the weather and had a rash, so Dr. thought I might have Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness STARI, put me on antibiotics for a few weeks, and I was fine.

I still have the tick that gave me RMSF, I developed the habit of saving ticks that bit me, by sticking them between two pieces of Scotch tape, when I worked for the NPS. My boss, and our chief biologist at the time, had done his masters research on ticks, so we always saved ticks for him. I bought a little picture frame, and have the little bastard framed. :grinpimp:

Odds are you'll be fine, but tick born illness are on the rise.

I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, took me about 3 months to recover, and there were a couple weeks in during the infection, I couldn't do anything, it was rough.

The tick having to be on you for 24+ hours to contract anything is a rule of thumb at best, and was complete BS in my case. My tick was on me less than 8 hours, likely less than 6 hours, and I still got RMSF. My GP wasn't going to run a tick panel on my blood work, because the tick had been on me such a short time, but I insisted, glad I did.

I had the state health department call me, and ask a few questions, about dates and locations, I guess they track RMSF.

I used to not worry so much, I've probably had a thousand tick bites or more, seemed like I got into seed ticks at least once a summer as a kid, that's an easy way to get 100+ bites at a time. I couldn't count the number of mature tick bites I've had. Only 2 ever caused any issue, the RMSF I've already mentioned, and I got the bullseye rash from another. Went to the Dr. for that one,I felt under the weather and had a rash, so Dr. thought I might have Southern Tick Associated Rash Illness STARI, put me on antibiotics for a few weeks, and I was fine.

I still have the tick that gave me RMSF, I developed the habit of saving ticks that bit me, by sticking them between two pieces of Scotch tape, when I worked for the NPS. My boss, and our chief biologist at the time, had done his masters research on ticks, so we always saved ticks for him. I bought a little picture frame, and have the little bastard framed. :grinpimp:
Thanks for the insite. This guy was definitely less than 8 hours. I’m sure he got me from when I was walking through tall grass yesterday during work. It’s been 80* here and my button down work shirt isn’t tucked in and sporting the 70’s look up top.

Like I said earlier it caught me by surprise.. winding down from work, already took a shower and was on my second beer. Felt something weird and lifted my shirt to see something on me. First instinct was to get it off and treat it like a flea...squish. Reality set in on what it was right around the time I was washing it down the sink.

It brushed off real easy, surprised that it stuck around during my shower, but I guess my furry belly gave it some shelter.

I like that tape trick. I’ll definitely do that if I ever have to deal with this again.

stubs you dead yet?

5Vdpgse.gif

are we really talking about this?

are we this bored?

are they not that common? where ever you must exist

Top Back Refresh