What's new

Just Bitchin'

Can I have a job in 10 years. Sounds perfect, retire to a hardware store job at 46 where I can grow to be the old guy that knows where everything is and how to make everything work. Only go to work because I want to and it pays the health insurance.

Yes...if I am still alive come see me. I am the guy you want to be...except for the , "Only go to work because I want to and it pays the health insurance," that part is not so working out for me...

Yes...if I am still alive come see me. I am the guy you want to be...except for the , "Only go to work because I want to and it pays the health insurance," that part is not so working out for me...

That's why my dream job doesn't involve being the owner. A lot of my friends cant seem to understand why I dont own my own buisness. Who knows, I might someday but it just doesn't sound appealing. I can work as much or as little as I want, and have for the most part learned how to forget about it when I'm off.

Last edited:

What's the name of your store so we can support your business when we're in the area?

Or talk shit in this thread If it sucks! :flipoff2:

Can I have a job in 10 years. Sounds perfect, retire to a hardware store job at 46 where I can grow to be the old guy that knows where everything is and how to make everything work. Only go to work because I want to and it pays the health insurance.

I’d love a part time gig at a small town hardware store. I think I’d be really good at slinging hardware. :grinpimp:

I'm just surprised to hear there a non-chain hardware store still open.

The few times I've been in a local/independent I have no idea how they stay open. Prices are double or better, and half the inventory is 20+ years old collecting dust.

I pay the $3.50 for a 2" elbow and never return.

The tru value, (yea I know it’s a franchise) is the closest hardware store to my house, prices can be a little wonky. But, they always have the hardware I need. They also have oddball fittings and such that Lowe’s won’t have. They also carry automotive specific fasteners and related stuff, as well as gunsmithing hardware.

edit: we also have national hardware, a dim light mom n pop shop. Stuff stacked in every corner possible, I’m talking about crap hanging from every inch of the rafters, welding supplies shoved into the shelves of the knife counter, a flashlight display with coveralls hanging on the side of they, a benches grinder that’s been on sale since I was a kid with garden hoses draped over it. They have some of the most oddball stuff. It’s the dust covered store you’re thinking of, but they have it when you need it. Unfortunately it’s way across town. Hope they make it through this.

Last edited:
That's why my dream job doesn't involve being the owner. A lot of my friends cant seem to understand why I dont own my own buisness. Who knows, I might someday but it just doesn't sound appealing. I can work as much or as little as I want, and have for the most part learned how to forget about it when I'm off.

Yup. Fuck dealing with all the customer service and government bullshit that comes with owning a legit business. Closest I'll get is using my equipment for side gig type jobs.

edit: we also have national hardware, a dim light mom n pop shop. Stuff stacked in every corner possible, I’m talking about crap hanging from every inch of the rafters, welding supplies shoved into the shelves of the knife counter, a flashlight display with coveralls hanging on the side of they, a benches grinder that’s been on sale since I was a kid with garden hoses draped over it. They have some of the most oddball stuff. It’s the dust covered store you’re thinking of, but they have it when you need it. Unfortunately it’s way across town. Hope they make it through this.

I love those stores!
Years ago I worked on a job in Lenox Iowa. There was an old Five & Dime type store that hadn't made a sale since the Pyramids were built but, they were still "open". There was a Timex Digital Watch display still full of watches with dead batteries. Most of us made it a point to buy something useless just to support the old couple who ran it for the last 50 years. The towns Roller Rink was upstairs, it was 35' x 50' at most with 3 roof support columns running down the middle. Life sure was a lot simpler not that long ago.

The tru value, (yea I know it’s a franchise) is the closest hardware store to my house, prices can be a little wonky. But, they always have the hardware I need. They also have oddball fittings and such that Lowe’s won’t have. They also carry automotive specific fasteners and related stuff, as well as gunsmithing hardware.

It's not a franchise...it's a co-op totally different. Independently owned.

I’d love a part time gig at a small town hardware store. I think I’d be really good at slinging hardware. :grinpimp:

I can put you on the schedule Monday...let me know the hours and days you are available.

Well stop in next time we go east. Can you cut a post office mailbox key that actually works? :smokin:

I can put you on the schedule Monday...let me know the hours and days you are available.

I just googled your stores address and holy smokes, you’re within a half hour drive on my number 1 relocation destination. I can’t start this upcoming Monday. But maybe a Monday down the line!
Im not joking when I said I could sell some hardware. I’ve done several rental remodels, a lot of fence work, tons of fabrication and mechanical work, got a pretty good resume with “dirty hands” type of qualifications.

Do you sell welding supplies or auto parts? I can make someone a killing with those type of product lines.

I just googled your stores address and holy smokes, you’re within a half hour drive on my number 1 relocation destination. I can’t start this upcoming Monday. But maybe a Monday down the line!
Im not joking when I said I could sell some hardware. I’ve done several rental remodels, a lot of fence work, tons of fabrication and mechanical work, got a pretty good resume with “dirty hands” type of qualifications.

Do you sell welding supplies or auto parts? I can make someone a killing with those type of product lines.

No auto parts O'reallys and VatoZone within rock chucking distance. Some welding supplies...but not a destination.

Top Back Refresh