What's new

Is Vroom a scam?

RusM

Amateur Viking
Member Number
Loc
North Bend WA
I found out about Vroom and Carvana yesterday and put my Tacoma in their systems to see what they'd pay me.

Carvana was $31k, not terrible, about what I'd expect a dealership to offer on it.

Vroom was $39,750:eek: That's with putting my canopy in as a tonneau cover though as there was no option for a canopy. How is my used truck with 24k miles worth more than I bought it for? Even KBB is saying $35k for trade in and $36-8k for private party. The only thing I can think is it's a scam and they will be down to the Carvana numbers after they come out and look at it.

Also, if you trade in a car on a new car you only pay the tax on the difference in value right?

Anyone used this Vroom service to sell?:grinpimp:

No idea on the service, but not surprised at the estimate. Like everything else, the car industry is experiencing big shortages in inventory. People are paying out the ass for anything they can get their hands on.

They probably don't give a shit about paying over value because they're going to finance it for the same amount at 20%+ anyway.

Ram cummins make fuel as you drive them, toyota's make $$$ as you drive them :laughing:

Houses and cars are stupid right now. A smart man would sell all his cars and houses and buy Dogecoin :homer:
Luckily I'm not smart! :flipoff2: I'm going to get a Jeep! :homer: Buddy of mine just got diagnosed with colon cancer, made me reflect on life in general and decided if I want a damn Jeep I'm getting one! Plus they're just bigger enough on the interior it makes more sense for the family.

Truck prices are stupid. If you're really wanting to sell, sell it to whoever gives you the most cash.
Yup. Around here Toyota Tacoma's and 4 Runners sell as soon as they hit the dealer and it's usually for more than MSRP.

I found out about Vroom and Carvana yesterday and put my Tacoma in their systems to see what they'd pay me.

Carvana was $31k, not terrible, about what I'd expect a dealership to offer on it.

Vroom was $39,750:eek: That's with putting my canopy in as a tonneau cover though as there was no option for a canopy. How is my used truck with 24k miles worth more than I bought it for? Even KBB is saying $35k for trade in and $36-8k for private party. The only thing I can think is it's a scam and they will be down to the Carvana numbers after they come out and look at it.

Also, if you trade in a car on a new car you only pay the tax on the difference in value right?

Anyone used this Vroom service to sell?:grinpimp:
I just sold my 2015 VW Golf R with 75K miles to Carvana yesterday for $19,781. That's only about $500 leas than most in this area were listed for. It's more than I could get at trade-in and it was a whole lot less hassle than selling it to an individual.

like others mentioned, used vehicle prices are thru the roof. Example, monday at the sale I paid nada retail for an 80k mile tahoe. will ask 2-3 above retail and it will sell, probably in a week or two. There are very few good used vehicles available. So that makes your used truck worth more. Booked a truck for a customer of mine last weekend, he was looking to trade on new at a ford store and was curious if thier offer was good. The truck is a 217 F250 crew platinum diesel, he bought new, with 30k miles. In '17 it stickerd for 75k, he bought it for 71k. they offered him 71,200 for it to trade on a new one. :eek: MMR on the truck is 69k. It is flat out nuts now what prices are doing.

Read an article yesterday about ford, toyota and some daimler plants closing in may because of the chip fiasco. Only going to get higher I am afraid.

I have a 2018 ram 2500 with 18k miles, kbb says it’s worth more than I paid new private party and what I paid trade in :homer:

I just sold my 15 Silverado for 4k less than I paid for it 5 years ago. It had an extra 60k on the clock and a broken windshield.

Vroom is a scam but they are scamming their investors, not you.

No idea on the service, but not surprised at the estimate. Like everything else, the car industry is experiencing big shortages in inventory. People are paying out the ass for anything they can get their hands on.

They probably don't give a shit about paying over value because they're going to finance it for the same amount at 20%+ anyway.
Yep, you cant find shit right now and if you do its $$$$.

the dealer I bought my truck off of contacted me twice wanting to buy it back for full retail, about 8K over what I paid.

When I told them I had put some aftermarket items on it they said bring receipts and well talk.:eek:

Fuck Vroom will give me 50K for my 16 hellcat. i only paid 58K for it 3 years ago.

They quoted me $42,129 for my 2016 F250 Lariat 4x4 with a hair under 50k miles on it. I paid $58k. Dealer I bought it from sends me letters monthly trying to buy it back.

Edit...KBB is telling me trade in is $57,562 :lmao:

KBB private party 52451
NADA clean trade 52500
Vroom 51566
Carvana 46500

This is for a fully loaded 2019 JL unlimited Rubicon. Wild. Doesn’t make me feel terrible about having it listed for 55k with lots of mods.

I just sold my 2015 VW Golf R with 75K miles to Carvana yesterday for $19,781. That's only about $500 leas than most in this area were listed for. It's more than I could get at trade-in and it was a whole lot less hassle than selling it to an individual.
Did they try to nickle and dime you about small imperfections?

Did they try to nickle and dime you about small imperfections?
Not at all. The paint was in great condition, no oxidation and no dents or scratches. No rips in the interior. The lady showed up, test drove it up and down the street a couple of times, took some pics and handed me the check for the amount stated on their website. Took all of 20 minutes. She then put a lock-box on the door window, like at a dealer, with both keys in it and a tow truck showed up later and hauled it off.

We bought a 2018 F150 5-6 weeks ago, the first payment isn't due yet and Vroom offered 5k over what we paid. It would be a pain in the rear but 5k might be enough to make me go truck shopping again.

They quoted me $42,129 for my 2016 F250 Lariat 4x4 with a hair under 50k miles on it. I paid $58k. Dealer I bought it from sends me letters monthly trying to buy it back.

Edit...KBB is telling me trade in is $57,562 :lmao:

The Toyota dealer my wife bought her 2018 4 Runner from just contacted her wanting to know if she'd sell it to them.

The Toyota dealer my wife bought her 2018 4 Runner from just contacted her wanting to know if she'd sell it to them.
This is normal practice. It’s how they get you into another payment. I still have a dealership calling about a Tacoma I bought from them in 2015 but sold a few years ago.

I sols my 98 Tacoma for 7400 at Christmas time. I paid 5500 for it 10 years ago.

I had to drive to Utah to find a new Tacoma to buy. Everyone in California that I could find that had the Off Road Package was 4-8k over retail IF you could get to the dealer in time.

I sols my 98 Tacoma for 7400 at Christmas time. I paid 5500 for it 10 years ago.

I had to drive to Utah to find a new Tacoma to buy. Everyone in California that I could find that had the Off Road Package was 4-8k over retail IF you could get to the dealer in time.
Here in the San Diego area both Tacoma's and 4 Runner's don't last a day at a dealer. They're flying off the lot.

Yup, my son just sold his 16 Hyundai to a dealership for a grand less than he paid for it three years ago. And 30,000 more miles on it. I went with him to take him home. I expected the bait and switch bullshit. The guy walked around it, took it for a two minute ride and came back and handed him a check. I was floored!

I think now might be the time to ditch the wifes 16 JKUR. I practically stole the thing when we bought it due to it being a manual transmission.

Off to check Vroom...

Top Back Refresh