What's new

Is this worth $6K?

the conservative atheist

😷😷😷ㅤ=ㅤ🐑🐑🐑
Member Number
Looking at a used 60" SnapOn roll cab with stainless/power top. I would be paying $4500 after trading in my old Snapon box from the 90's, so I guess all considered he essentially wants $6K for the box. Worth it, or just get a Harbor Freight Icon or Montezuma for $3K?

IMG_5337.jpg

I cannot fathom spending $6000 on a box. Does it make you $6000 more efficient?

Reminds me of working in a dealership, and the retarded mechanics rushing to the tool truck.

To me if you are a tech somewhere that constantly has you rolling a box around, it might be worth it. But if its gonna sit in your garage why? I've been looking because my small box is boiling over, for the money I dont think you can beat the US general boxes. If you hate the way you have to open them, check out the homak pros they are more but you can open the drawer from anywhere on the latch. In general I think snap on used to be great quality, but all they do now is rebrand stuff and rip you off.

Yes I've always regarded snap-on a ripoff but even the Harbor Freight Icon is like $4K after tax so I'm actually considering this box. Won't be for home use but where I work.

73 inch Icon is 3800. Is the Icon that much better than the harbor freight general line?

You could buy 3 of the HF 72" cabinets and still have plenty left over for hookers and blow.

I have the 56" and I'm very happy with it. Even for a pro, I can't see spending $6k on a box like that.

My triple bank Mac box cost me less than that brand new after trade in (traded a small 2 bank KRL and a roll cart), no way I'd pay that for a used box unless it came loaded with tools.

I paid $2500 cash no tax for this used 30" deep 54"? wide snappy off the Cornwell truck. . Get on craiglist and look at what a private sale will get you.
26756848_1582035475218070_4112700891988732048_o.jpg

I think thats a little high for used. I got my epiq (i think its a 68, dont remember) with stainless power top new off the truck for 6500. They go for more but it had a ding on the bottom and he had a hard time selling it. Had it on the truck for over a month so I was able to get him down to that price. The power top is about $1k itself.

photo10061.jpg

A friend of mine got a whole hanger of aviation stuff from an estate sale. There were four of those giant boxes in it. I think they were Matco. Anyways he asked if I wanted one or two. I passed. Too much room in my shop. He's moving out of state and wants them gone. If anyone wants them, I'm sure you can get them for a song. If your close by and interested, I'll check. He allready doubled his money on the hanger selling the planes. There was so much junk in that hanger, it's taking him weeks to go through it. He would give me most anything in it. My shop is pretty stocked, so I couldn't think of something I wanted. He had a set of racing car scales and of course after thinking about it, I asked for them. Gone in the first week. Made me sick to see him scraping tall airplanes jack stands. But they would probably sit in my shop unused.

Hate to ask a stupid question, but what is a power top?

The power top is basically like putting a marble countertop in your kitchen. It sits on top of the toolbox. Top of toolbox is just painted sheetmetal. The power top is a nice stainless top that bolts down the the top of the box and has power outlets. Newer ones will have usb power outlets built in too, and the real dorks will get keyless entry with remote lock/unlock and then get the colored led strips under the handles. You know, for all the times when the lights in the shop are off :rolleyes:

Some guys go a step further and buy the hutch. The hutch is a whole additional cabinet that sits on top with a locking lid. I got a quote for the hutch for my snap on box and it was going to be 3500 with the additional shelfs and racks.

That is too much for used. I would pass.

A friend of mine got a whole hanger of aviation stuff from an estate sale. There were four of those giant boxes in it. I think they were Matco. Anyways he asked if I wanted one or two. I passed. Too much room in my shop. He's moving out of state and wants them gone. If anyone wants them, I'm sure you can get them for a song. If your close by and interested, I'll check. He allready doubled his money on the hanger selling the planes. There was so much junk in that hanger, it's taking him weeks to go through it. He would give me most anything in it. My shop is pretty stocked, so I couldn't think of something I wanted. He had a set of racing car scales and of course after thinking about it, I asked for them. Gone in the first week. Made me sick to see him scraping tall airplanes jack stands. But they would probably sit in my shop unused.

Hate to ask a stupid question, but what is a power top?

Where is this hanger......do I need to make a road trip?

Where is this hanger......do I need to make a road trip?

He got the stuff out of that hanger and moved it to a smaller hanger. (After selling the planes) The new hanger is at the Marianna airport. A lot of the stuff is aviation. Lycomming and Continental cylinders, magnetos and aviation spark plugs. (Lots of it brand new) There's special tools like plug testers and hydrolic landing gear test pumps. My friend is a A&P, so he knows the value of that stuff. This hanger sat for like fifteen years. I will be going there today or tomarrow. I will check if the tool boxes are still there. These are older, so no power tops, but they are not scratched or dented. They are just dusty/dirty as hell. He said he got the tools out of them. Not sure what he did with them. (He allready has all the tools in the world) He got rid of a lot of the non aviation stuff. (Either sold or scrap)

I will try to get a non aviation inventory to see if it would be worth a trip for someone. At this point, he's moving in two weeks. But he will have to keep renting the hanger till he can sell or move the stuff north. He made a lot of money on the deal, (and there's more to be made) but the timing is terrible because of his move.

He got the stuff out of that hanger and moved it to a smaller hanger. (After selling the planes) The new hanger is at the Marianna airport. A lot of the stuff is aviation. Lycomming and Continental cylinders, magnetos and aviation spark plugs. (Lots of it brand new) There's special tools like plug testers and hydrolic landing gear test pumps. My friend is a A&P, so he knows the value of that stuff. This hanger sat for like fifteen years. I will be going there today or tomarrow. I will check if the tool boxes are still there. These are older, so no power tops, but they are not scratched or dented. They are just dusty/dirty as hell. He said he got the tools out of them. Not sure what he did with them. (He allready has all the tools in the world) He got rid of a lot of the non aviation stuff. (Either sold or scrap)

I will try to get a non aviation inventory to see if it would be worth a trip for someone. At this point, he's moving in two weeks. But he will have to keep renting the hanger till he can sell or move the stuff north. He made a lot of money on the deal, (and there's more to be made) but the timing is terrible because of his move.

Sweet. Getting ready to move to a new place with a much bigger shop and tool storage will be on my list....actually storage of any type will be on my list. Depending what he's parting with, it's not THAT far of a drive for me.

I don't see the value. In hs I worked at pep boys willy had all the certs and the big snap on boxes, everybody talked shit about Richard, he had a stack of pawn shop craftsman boxes. At closing time willy waited for his wife to pick him up and Richard walked to one of his 3 corvettes:laughing:

I understand a tech might spend $1500 today on tool storage, but much more doesn't make sense to me

Sweet. Getting ready to move to a new place with a much bigger shop and tool storage will be on my list....actually storage of any type will be on my list. Depending what he's parting with, it's not THAT far of a drive for me.

I just got back from there and now he says he is going to truck everything up to Tenn. On the Tool boxes, he gave two away to guys helping him move and sold one. The other he says he's going to keep. I did get one of those racks for spray painting parts. He has a bunch of them going to scrap. He's got most of the stuff in a trailer now. I really should have posted about this a month ago. It would probably be worth the drive than. If your interested, he has a engine/transmission from a Bell 47 he is literally giving away and can't find anyone to take it. I realize they are not going to fly, but you would think someone would want for display/parts.

I don't see the value. In hs I worked at pep boys willy had all the certs and the big snap on boxes, everybody talked shit about Richard, he had a stack of pawn shop craftsman boxes. At closing time willy waited for his wife to pick him up and Richard walked to one of his 3 corvettes:laughing:

I understand a tech might spend $1500 today on tool storage, but much more doesn't make sense to me

I wish my wife would pick me up from work. Maybe if I had a corvette I'd feel differently though. :laughing:

I think the money could be better spent in other places. I have a HF US general 44" box but I plan on upgrading to this Husky from home depot. this one seems like a really good deal for the amount of space it has. I had a smaller snap on box that I got off of a local crack head for pennies. although it was a nice box I dont think it was nice enough to pay its market value for.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-H...Piece-HOTC8010BB1S/304589169#product-overview

I think thats a little high for used. I got my epiq (i think its a 68, dont remember) with stainless power top new off the truck for 6500. They go for more but it had a ding on the bottom and he had a hard time selling it. Had it on the truck for over a month so I was able to get him down to that price. The power top is about $1k itself.

Ha, I recognize that floor.
Click image for larger version Name:	20201014_121508.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.1 KB ID:	162328

Last edited:
Yeah I'm passing on the box. The Tool Vault (Montezuma) line from strictlytoolboxes.com looks like a much better value.

Top Back Refresh