What's new

Is this a good deal ?

SanDiegoCJ

Non-Lemming
Member Number
Loc
Filer, Id.
Okay, I'm fairly up on handguns, but being formerly from the restrictive state of California I never had much ability to get an AR-15 as they're "evil black guns".
There are 100's of places making AR-15's now, so sorting through all the bullshit and marketing hype is ridiculous. I don't want or need the "best" AR-15, just
a decent one that is accurate and won't self destruct in a few years, or jam repeatedly.

Can't view those at work but someone was running S&W rifles for around $500-650. Seemed like a decent deal given the current environment. But then you have to deal with FFL shipping.

I'd probably start hitting up your local gun shops and buy whatever they might have in that range.

Can't view those at work but someone was running S&W rifles for around $500-650. Seemed like a decent deal given the current environment. But then you have to deal with FFL shipping.

I'd probably start hitting up your local gun shops and buy whatever they might have in that range.
That is from the local store. $629.

Because its garbage. PSA is a better choice than that.

Take your time and look around, they are going to get cheap again before long. The racks around here are filling up again, I just did a 2800 mile trip through Florida and out of 8 gun shops, only 1 had room on the racks.

I totally impulse bought a ruger ar556 from the north 40 a while back. So I get it.

Go to your local gun/pawn shops and see what they have.

Also, do you have the nickle worth down there? You can guy through them also.

How much do you want to spend on an AR?
What do you want to use it for?

If you can stretch the budget a bit, the IWI zion rifles area great option in the 800 range:

In the $600 range the Smith and wesson, Windham, Palmetto state and Aero precision are all good brands.

If you plan on running a scope don't bother with the fixed front sight. They get in the way of your view and you just don't use them.
Make sure to budget for an optic and spare mags. Pmags are fine, but I prefer Lancer mags. If you want robust mags that will last forever in case there is another ban SS mags like the Elander and the H&K mags.

FYI don't bother with a Colt, colt today is not built to the same standard as they were in yesteryear. Hopefully CZ can straighten them out.

It was, you're just an uppity ****.

You tell the gun shop owner that you just moved from Cali too?
No. I have been asked by other people, like at the DMV, and I haven't had any negative reaction. They've all said welcome to Idaho.
I'm starting to believe that whole "we don't want California people" is just another bullshit intardnet crap by a few ignorant loudmouths.

No. I have been asked by other people, like at the DMV, and I haven't had any negative reaction. They've all said welcome to Idaho.
I'm starting to believe that whole "we don't want California people" is just another bullshit intardnet crap by a few ignorant loudmouths.
You should start working on the theory that folks in Idaho are generally more polite than the average Cali-know-it-all and likely have the decency to not say anything. If only they knew you...

Surprising that no one asked what your intended use is. Is this a truck gun, home defense, plinking, fondling, etc? My thoughts on the AR you linked are this: The front handguard is cheap and feels cheap. Prolly won't hold zero very well with a front sight either. I don't like those style of free float handguards, I prefer traditional style handguards but YMMV. If you opt for "traditional" irons you will need to factor the additional cost. You can cheap out with Magpuls, they are decent. However, with that handguard your best option is an optic, cheapest that works is something like a red dot Sig Romeo5 (IIRC). What is the rifling rate on that AR and what kind of ammo are you going to use. I reload and use 55 gr BTSP exclusively so I look for a rate of 1/9 or , grudgingly, 1/8.

But, if you don't like a part or aspect of that gun you can change it until you're pleased. You're not married to that exact configuration should you dislike it. I have an AR I have stashed under a piece of furniture (in case of emergency) that has all the features of the gun you linked. My gun is the amalgamation of all the parts I didn't like that were on other ARs I have (i.e., it's my budget bastard beater AR made from parts taken from my other upgraded ARs :laughing:) .

Price may be a little on the high side...

That rifle will be fine for him. He isn’t taking the fucking thing into combat. Buy the damn thing and upgrade parts if you don’t like them. That’s the beauty of an AR. I would swap out the shitty mil spec stock and grip for something better.

Surprising that no one asked what your intended use is. Is this a truck gun, home defense, plinking, fondling, etc? My thoughts on the AR you linked are this: The front handguard is cheap and feels cheap. Prolly won't hold zero very well with a front sight either. I don't like those style of free float handguards, I prefer traditional style handguards but YMMV. If you opt for "traditional" irons you will need to factor the additional cost. You can cheap out with Magpuls, they are decent. However, with that handguard your best option is an optic, cheapest that works is something like a red dot Sig Romeo5 (IIRC). What is the rifling rate on that AR and what kind of ammo are you going to use. I reload and use 55 gr BTSP exclusively so I look for a rate of 1/9 or , grudgingly, 1/8.

But, if you don't like a part or aspect of that gun you can change it until you're pleased. You're not married to that exact configuration should you dislike it. I have an AR I have stashed under a piece of furniture (in case of emergency) that has all the features of the gun you linked. My gun is the amalgamation of all the parts I didn't like that were on other ARs I have (i.e., it's my budget bastard beater AR made from parts taken from my other upgraded ARs :laughing:) .

Price may be a little on the high side...
That rifle will be fine for him. He isn’t taking the fucking thing into combat. Buy the damn thing and upgrade parts if you don’t like them. That’s the beauty of an AR. I would swap out the shitty mil spec stock and grip for something better.
Thanks. I appreciate the useful info. The barrel is 1/8. The reason to buy it is I don't trust the senile asshole in the Whitehouse and I've wanted an "AR" for a long time, but being in California I didn't have a decent selection. As Aisin said, " He isn’t taking the fucking thing into combat ". I'll use it for range shooting and maybe some varmint hunting. That's the beauty of the AR's, you can upgrade them.

The handguard looks to be mlock and not keymod, so there is that...

i wouldnt take a diamondback if someone gave it to me and I damn sure wouldnt trade money for one.

for $100-150 more there's the Ruger Ar-556, Springfield Saint, S&W MP15.......

hell, that sportsmans warehouse link has an Anderson Am15 for less than the Diamondback that id buy way before the diamondback.

Thanks. I appreciate the useful info. The barrel is 1/8. The reason to buy it is I don't trust the senile asshole in the Whitehouse and I've wanted an "AR" for a long time, but being in California I didn't have a decent selection. As Aisin said, " He isn’t taking the fucking thing into combat ". I'll use it for range shooting and maybe some varmint hunting. That's the beauty of the AR's, you can upgrade them.
real freedom in buying a AK-47 :flipoff2:

FrankenToy, I asked him what he was going to use it for.

Since you are going to be target shooting and varmint hunting, and you are up there in years (eyesight most likely isn't what it used to be). I would just plan on running a scope. Also consider a longer barrel. 18" -20" felps get the most out of .556 ammo. As for barrel twist, it will depend on what of bullets you plan on shooting you don't really need 1 in 7 unless you are shooting 77gr. bullets, but 1 in 7, 1 in 8, or 1 in 9 will all work just fine for 55 and 62 gr. Bullets.

I still think the iwi zion is a good rifle for you, the Israelis have been making and using ar pattern rifles for a long time now.

There are a lot of options out there and inventory has definitely gotten a lot better in the last few months.
You should also consider buying a lower and a palmetto state kit:

How many of that brand have you had in your hands and shot ? I've had several of them in my hands and they all sucked ass.

Well, I did go to the store and buy it. It felt right and I could adjust the butt stock for a good fit. Since it comes without sights I got a 1X red dot scope. I don't need a super high end AR for my use so from some of the comments here and intardnet reviews I feel this will work for me. BTW aron82, my eyesight is 20/20. That's a byproduct of the cataract surgery I had years ago. :flipoff2:

What's the deal with that? I thought they were roughly similar just different versions.
A few years ago there was an analysis and report done by a defense contractor that showed mlock was a stronger connection when applying force till the connection failed, it also has a better more repeatable zero. All the high speed low drag "operator" guys ate it up and and key mod has been on the way out since.

How many of that brand have you had in your hands and shot ? I've had several of them in my hands and they all sucked ass.
Wilson Combat, Daniel Defense, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, DPMS just to name few. Plus a mish mash of various manufacturers that I, my friends and family put together. If I was going to fork out the money it would be Wilson Combat.

Well, I did go to the store and buy it. It felt right and I could adjust the butt stock for a good fit. Since it comes without sights I got a 1X red dot scope. I don't need a super high end AR for my use so from some of the comments here and intardnet reviews I feel this will work for me. BTW aron82, my eyesight is 20/20. That's a byproduct of the cataract surgery I had years ago. :flipoff2:
Awesome. Welcome to your new found freedom.:flipoff2:Get some ammo and a piece of AR500 and train.

Top Back Refresh