What's new

Is there such a thing as fine thread NPT?

I ran onto that a few weeks ago. It wasn't jic, standard pipe, o_ring, or the stupid ass British pipe. I still have no clue what it was. I drilled it out and retapped it with standard pipe

.. Also the barbed fitting is clearly not the right thing.
That’s where I’m at. I can’t find a leak so I guess it’s been working, but it’s not supposed to be a npt hose barb. I put it back together with the pump that was on it and the barb fitting for now. It’s not right but I’ll fix it when I can.

There’s a mount near the lift pump that I believe had a sediment bowl. That’s gone and it’s got an in-line filter now. I’m going to try and find a part number for the sediment bowl and put all that back to the way it’s supposed to be. Then I can just have a line made to go from there to the pump with whatever fittings that requires.

any place that sells Takehuchi equipment will have BSP fittings. That's the one thing that sucks about owning a Taco Skidsteer...I can't just go to Napa and get hoses made

I have determined there is no end to thread sizes. I have fittings for every F*cking thing and I found a new one on generator yesterday. Some kind of flare nut BS. I must have five different flare nut setups. Why can’t they make up their minds? Rant over.

I have determined there is no end to thread sizes. I have fittings for every F*cking thing and I found a new one on generator yesterday. Some kind of flare nut BS. I must have five different flare nut setups. Why can’t they make up their minds? Rant over.
I like (hate) the choose your own adventure ones. Like a TJ gen Jeep. I call them Ametrican. Part metric part American Stand, all bullshit Torx

British standard pipe? I think it's called? It's dumb and I can never find any fittings locally.... Or if it's straight, it's probably..... M12x1.25 banjo.
bsp is more or less the same pitch, iirc 1/8 is 28 instead of 27 but it doens't matter
55 degree angle rather than 60

there is a metric pipe thread series, but it is VERY uncommon
subaru rear diffs with the 13mm square plugs and VW transmissions with 17mm allen heads is likely the only place you'll ever see it

McMaster carr will have it to you next day. Not worth driving around. I don't see a mating surface for a BSPP sealing washer though. BSPT maybe.
I will eco this
I just had to fix some Japanese Tapered thread stuff of my Komatsu Dozer a month or so ago
Mcmaster had it, you just got to know what you are looking for. and they ship faster than you can drive to town and back anyway

bsp is more or less the same pitch, iirc 1/8 is 28 instead of 27 but it doens't matter
55 degree angle rather than 60
And for low pressures that is close enough to not leak if you use enough tape and goop. I'd have no issue doing that for a fuel lift pump.

Source: several dozen of them in my shop air system because I had some BSP fittings that let me avoid stacking bushings and nipples.

oh all of my claw couplings are bspt
because mcmaster had them on clearance for like 1/4 the price of npt ones
they're close enough to the same, long as you're relying on the threads to seal as well as crappy chinese fittings do

Doesn't matter now but 1/2 decent not big box hardware stores have a lot of different brass fittings. I'd have checked there by going through the dozens they have too.

My work is full of bspp piping, but the european engines use metric straight threads (and copper or o-ring sealing washers) for any ports or fittings.

I will eco this
I just had to fix some Japanese Tapered thread stuff of my Komatsu Dozer a month or so ago
Mcmaster had it, you just got to know what you are looking for. and they ship faster than you can drive to town and back anyway
If you know what you’re looking for. That’s a big if.

I might opine/strongly suggest you NEVER look into the section of thread classes and types one finds in "Machinery's Handbook". It's a whole lot worse than what you ran into. :dustin:

Top Back Refresh