What's new

Is my junk gonna break on stickies?

LOL he did have to much gear that trip which probably didn't help but after that he didn't carry anything but some spare tools and still broke 3 thirds

A 40" sticky is asking a lot of 8" stuff for sure.

What 3rds were they? Junk yard 4.10s, home installed 5.29s? Spool?

I'm a firm believer that a properly set up solid spacer 5.29 v6 diff is stronger than a stock 4.10. I've broken both ratios, but never ran a good pro built diff either.

A 40" sticky is asking a lot of 8" stuff for sure.

What 3rds were they? Junk yard 4.10s, home installed 5.29s? Spool?

I'm a firm believer that a properly set up solid spacer 5.29 v6 diff is stronger than a stock 4.10. I've broken both ratios, but never ran a good pro built diff either.
He was running a 8" 4cyl third 5.29s with ARB and solid spacer. Set up by local gear shop

Correction, he did have gear in his rig each time, Fordyce, Rubicon etc

Ya, probably pushing the limits of the 8"

I built a 60 with the Yukon toy 60 35 spline shafts. The whole kit was like $400 with the weld on ends and you can keep your current brakes. I used a Sf d60u from an e250, it was like $200 from pnp, smooth bottom, has like an inch more clearance than a regular 60 and 3.5" tubes. It was 62" wide, so was perfect for my FJ80 front. I could lift the housing myself. With a carrier, cover and no axles, It was about the same wieght as a ready to run ifs axle.

My thought was that loaded up for camping and climbing trails like Fordyce and Rubicon, the rear sees a lot of stress.

Ya, probably pushing the limits of the 8"

I built a 60 with the Yukon toy 60 35 spline shafts. The whole kit was like $400 with the weld on ends and you can keep your current brakes. I used a Sf d60u from an e250, it was like $200 from pnp, smooth bottom, has like an inch more clearance than a regular 60 and 3.5" tubes. It was 62" wide, so was perfect for my FJ80 front. I could lift the housing myself. With a carrier, cover and no axles, It was about the same wieght as a ready to run ifs axle.

My thought was that loaded up for camping and climbing trails like Fordyce and Rubicon, the rear sees a lot of stress.
I have been looking for axle options for my taco that still have good clearance, got any pics? Sorry to thread jack OP

I have been looking for axle options for my taco that still have good clearance, got any pics? Sorry to thread jack OP

Axle build starts around page 18/post 351.

I actually still have the housing I'd sell very cheap. I'm not sure if the axles are still available, but Moser and Dutchman will make SF axles cheap.

If I did it again, I'd probably use 14b outters (if you need 6 lug) and just buy axles from Moser.

Edit: axles are available, but I think the kit is discontinued.

Yukon (YA TD60-35) 1541H Alloy Rear Replacement Axle for Toyota Hybrid Dana 60 Differential Amazon.com: Yukon (YA TD60-35) 1541H Alloy Rear Replacement Axle for Toyota Hybrid Dana 60 Differential : Automotive

Right along these same lines, for my next set of tires I am considering the 38" Patagonia and was trying to decide if I should go black labels or not. I too am curious if the stickies would be too much for my rig. V6 yukon geared grizzly out back and a HP detroit in front and rock assualts.

I normally don't take a beverly hillbilly sized load on the trail either:lmao:

Go black label, they're barely a sticky.

You just can't drive it like the typical Toyota guy with iroks, low low and 4k rpm, tire gets wedged and will spin, wrinkle, whatever. Let it crawl, it will crawl shit most can't. If you need speed use 2nd and work the clutch.

Good example, I had 39 kr2s on my 4runner. Same compound as red krawlers. I roll up to soup bowl, like the name, there is a big soupy mud puddle at the bottom. I crawl up after 2 or 3 line adjustments. Pull off, park and wait. About 20 different rigs, from Toyotas, Jeeps, buggies and even a turbo ls Toyota truggy all have to bang up it, revlimiter smoke broken parts. I'm like, man did I luck out? I pull around and knew the line, idled right through the mud and up the rocks now covered in mud. Kid asleep in the back :laughing:

Also crawled that big smooth ass rock face right past the buck island dam that's slick as shit.

Stickies make you a hero. :smokin:

You just can't drive it like the typical Toyota guy with iroks, low low and 4k rpm, tire gets wedged and will spin, wrinkle, whatever. Let it crawl, it will crawl shit most can't. If you need speed use 2nd and work the clutch.

Good example, I had 39 kr2s on my 4runner. Same compound as red krawlers. I roll up to soup bowl, like the name, there is a big soupy mud puddle at the bottom. I crawl up after 2 or 3 line adjustments. Pull off, park and wait. About 20 different rigs, from Toyotas, Jeeps, buggies and even a turbo ls Toyota truggy all have to bang up it, revlimiter smoke broken parts. I'm like, man did I luck out? I pull around and knew the line, idled right through the mud and up the rocks now covered in mud. Kid asleep in the back :laughing:

Also crawled that big smooth ass rock face right past the buck island dam that's slick as shit.

sounds like everyone had fun but you :laughing::flipoff2:

sounds like everyone had fun but you :laughing::flipoff2:

I enjoy making shit look easy, which I did. In a leaf sprung 4 door rig.

I also, enjoy not working on my shit.

Love watching other people beat their rigs too :laughing: there was another very similar 4runner, 2nd gen, chopped, Toyota axles, kr2s, but desert compound (read: plastic) he had the 3.0 singing, like 10 4.7 only 3rd gear launches, :lmao: he had to literally jump it to make it with those tires, but he did.

Heard he let the rods breathe some fresh air on old sluice. Hopefully all the fun was worth the misery of dragging a dead rig like 15 miles through all that shit :laughing:

Hobbled my broke ass out to the shop and my spare 40" is 39.5 tall with 10PSI in it. I tried for a pic but crutches and a broken leg, 40" tire, phone and drywall square well you're gonna have to trust me:flipoff2:

Stickies change everything, yeah they will grenade stuff but you don't need to drive like that usually with them. I know I can't make Toy axles live on 40"s let alone stickies, I break stuff on my 60 with them.

I'm doing 14b outer on my new rear axle, cheap, available, numerous hub offsets, cheap FF shafts available.

Hobbled my broke ass out to the shop and my spare 40" is 39.5 tall with 10PSI in it. I tried for a pic but crutches and a broken leg, 40" tire, phone and drywall square well you're gonna have to trust me:flipoff2:

Stickies change everything, yeah they will grenade stuff but you don't need to drive like that usually with them. I know I can't make Toy axles live on 40"s let alone stickies, I break stuff on my 60 with them.

I'm doing 14b outer on my new rear axle, cheap, available, numerous hub offsets, cheap FF shafts available.

Exactly, I know guys who can break 35 spline chromo axles on 35s with a 22r.

37s might be a better idea for op, but I don't think it's all the big of a difference, 37s fall into holes 40s go over. At least he's got all the aftermarket housings, the rigidity will help keep gears alive.

Driving and use is everything. My old neighbor ran 42s on stock birf Toyota axles, but he would just drive around on dirt or snowy roads. :laughing:

Axle build starts around page 18/post 351.

I actually still have the housing I'd sell very cheap. I'm not sure if the axles are still available, but Moser and Dutchman will make SF axles cheap.

If I did it again, I'd probably use 14b outters (if you need 6 lug) and just buy axles from Moser.

Edit: axles are available, but I think the kit is discontinued.

Yukon (YA TD60-35) 1541H Alloy Rear Replacement Axle for Toyota Hybrid Dana 60 Differential Amazon.com: Yukon (YA TD60-35) 1541H Alloy Rear Replacement Axle for Toyota Hybrid Dana 60 Differential : Automotive

You got a link to that build? I looked but my search skillz suck

See?? That's why I started this thread. I wanna be a hero. I don't wanna be a goat. (Lower case goat, not G.O.A.T)🤣

Part of me thinks I should run what I have, and find a stronger front axle to build before doing the sticky thing. I have a 70u housing in the barn waiting to be built, but can't find anything moderately affordable for the front. Actually, packaging the front would be tight, too. If 5.29s for the 70 were a thing, I'd just build it and be done.

Mark

See?? That's why I started this thread. I wanna be a hero. I don't wanna be a goat. (Lower case goat, not G.O.A.T)🤣

Part of me thinks I should run what I have, and find a stronger front axle to build before doing the sticky thing. I have a 70u housing in the barn waiting to be built, but can't find anything moderately affordable for the front. Actually, packaging the front would be tight, too. If 5.29s for the 70 were a thing, I'd just build it and be done.

Mark

If the 40s are damn near 40" tall, I'd go for the 37s, they'll be as tall as your current tires. Lots of guys running 37 stickies on Toyota axles. Just do it.

Mark
plenty of guys have run 5.29s and 5.13s with no problem

plenty of guys have run 5.29s and 5.13s with no problem

You mean 5.38s?

I agree, it's not enough of a difference to notice, I'd prefer the lower gears in the rear, but it's not a huge difference.

Biggest gap I have personally experienced working totally fine was 4.37/4.56. We rolled it back and forth on dry pavement by hand in 4hi easily.

If you do the D70 though, just ditch the Toyota axles completely and do a 60 or 9" front and 6.17 or 7.17. Then go 42 treps :smokin:

You mean 5.38s?

I agree, it's not enough of a difference to notice, I'd prefer the lower gears in the rear, but it's not a huge difference.

Biggest gap I have personally experienced working totally fine was 4.37/4.56. We rolled it back and forth on dry pavement by hand in 4hi easily.

If you do the D70 though, just ditch the Toyota axles completely and do a 60 or 9" front and 6.17 or 7.17. Then go 42 treps :smokin:
no i dont mean 5.38s, although yes even more people run 5.38s with 5.29s

lots of people way back in time used to run 5.13 gears with 5.29s because thats what you could get(14b 5.38s came out around 2006 before then it was all 5.13)

i also agree get rid of the toy front and go 6.17 or 7.17(this):grinpimp::flipoff2:

Are the 5.29/5.38 gears a great idea for stickies on slickrock? I have to confess to never thinking about it before.

Mark

Next question would be is it worth another hunnert bucks a tire for the stickies?

I can't speak for the pats, but I'm betting it's well worth it.

JR4X may have some experience with black vs standard.
There’s a noticeable difference in compound between the regular dots and the black labels. I’d definitely go with the sticky version. My little brother is also rocking 40” black labels on his Toyota truggy. We ran almost the whole rock loop at KOH in our trail rigs and traction was not lacking.

There’s a noticeable difference in compound between the regular dots and the black labels. I’d definitely go with the sticky version. My little brother is also rocking 40” black labels on his Toyota truggy. We ran almost the whole rock loop at KOH in our trail rigs and traction was not lacking.
What axles and t-case is he running?

Mark

What axles and t-case is he running?

Mark
STAK 3 speed t-case. Currie 60/9” axles with mega hi 9 thirds. 5.0 sbf C6 automatic trans. Sorry about the yellow thing in this pic but these are the only pics I have on my phone if his truck. Black 3rd gen on the trailer.

5504B173-F558-4236-AB1E-B606944E5E2A.jpeg
A50DD131-D63D-42B2-BC69-ADFB5C3A1DE7.jpeg

toy joints are so fucking strong i blew up 4.7 gears(5k rpm clutch dumps on rocks, 30 spline outputs frt and rr on the tcase) running 14b axles front and rear with 43" stickies and the u joints were never a problem

i then went to an atlas and continued to do clutch dumps and still didnt break any u joints :laughing:

Top Back Refresh