What's new

Is it possible to have too much spring pressure in an AR magazine?

the conservative atheist

😷😷😷ㅤ=ㅤ🐑🐑🐑
Member Number
Dumb question, but can too much spring pressure in the mag cause misfeeds? I have some 10/30 hex mags that I converted to full capacity by removing the spacer and installing a triple braided 30-round spring. They advertise "40% more spring pressure". Can't even lock the mag in without removing a couple rounds. Then a round jammed in the barrel somehow (bolt wouldn't close even with forward assist). Wondering if I should cut off some of the coils.

Are you saying that when you insert the mag a bunch of rounds get pushed out? If so just ditch the whole set up. Mags are cheap and hex mags are not known for quality.

No. You have to violently force the mag into the well to get it to lock when at full capacity. Locks fine with an open bolt though.

I hear you on the hex mags. Unfortunately I live in commie NY and can't get real mags shipped.

If anyone is willing, PM your address in a legal state. I'll have 8 PMAGS shipped to your address. Just ship me four of them, you keep the other four. Also I don't want anyone to break the law. I think it's technically legal if you disassemble the mags when you ship them out.

Whelp...
fuck the fancy springs....
The normal spring is rated to feed 30 not 20.
Tha ghey rivets are to reign in the enslaved sheeples not smart enough to drill it out, and make it NORMAL CAPACITY...:flipoff2:

Too much pressure to prevent inserting into magwell on a closed bolt, yes.
That same "too much" pressure could be exerting too much pressure on the under side of the bolt to prevent/restrict cycling.
Also the excess pressure could be making it difficult to strip the top round off the mag.

From a bolt hold open position, insert fully loaded mag and hit the bolt release. Does it close fully?

Take a mage an only load 10 rounds into it. How does it function now?

From a bolt hold open position, insert fully loaded mag and hit the bolt release. Does it close fully?

Half the time.

Take a mage an only load 10 rounds into it. How does it function now?

Normally. It has to be a spring pressure issue. I'm going to cut off at least one coils and retest. Or I'll just live with loading 20 rounds or so. That's still better than only having 10.

I cut one coil. Won't feed from an open bolt at the full 30, but will at 29. Just gonna rock it like that, have no other choice. Not gonna cut another coil just for one round.

Will probably buy the normal springs and try them too. This is the only workaround in commie NY. :mad3::flipoff:

It's just a spring, can you order just a spring?

What are the '40% more spring pressure' springs made to fix?

I have to slap my mag in for it to lock in. Not like cram it in there, but it doesn't just slide in. Thought that was the norm. :confused:

I have to slap my mag in for it to lock in. Not like cram it in there, but it doesn't just slide in. Thought that was the norm. :confused:

Part of the reloading drill is usually slap in and tug to be sure it has locked in place. My steel mags lock in on the first slap better than my Pmags.

I cut one coil. Won't feed from an open bolt at the full 30, but will at 29. Just gonna rock it like that, have no other choice. Not gonna cut another coil just for one round.

Will probably buy the normal springs and try them too. This is the only workaround in commie NY. :mad3::flipoff:

28-29 rounds, standard loading for a 30rd magazine back in the day. lol

Part of the reloading drill is usually slap in and tug to be sure it has locked in place. My steel mags lock in on the first slap better than my Pmags.

Yawp. I tug on it to make sure its in.

OP ive seen spring tension issues yours sound more like the spring is too long when compressed. As in taking up too much space under the follower. Is the coil wire noticably thicker? You mention it was a braided wire spring. We had serviice mags at work with the braid springs and they could only be loaded to 29 rounds. Didnt cut them to check because they werent mine but Im pretty sure that was the issue. It wasnt spring tension just stick with stock springs.

OP ive seen spring tension issues yours sound more like the spring is too long when compressed. As in taking up too much space under the follower. Is the coil wire noticably thicker? You mention it was a braided wire spring. We had serviice mags at work with the braid springs and they could only be loaded to 29 rounds. Didnt cut them to check because they werent mine but Im pretty sure that was the issue. It wasnt spring tension just stick with stock springs.

Slightly thicker. The ones I bought from Brownell's say you can cut them to customize. Obviously you wouldn't want too weak a spring on those last few rounds though. So far it seems ok but I haven't shot the gun yet.

Slide it in, quick yet firm smack on the bottom.:smokin:

I think you nailed it. The braided spring thickness (well, pretty much the entire Hex mag) is the cause of the problems.

OP - I just disassembled a P-Mag and a Brownells steel mag and was able to swap the spring AND follower (the floor plate not so much) between the two. The single wire spring looked identical between the two (both 30 rnds). Brownells sells (or used to) rebuild kits (spring and follower only) for 30 rnd mags that weren't restricted.

A 40% stronger mag spring sounds exactly like something I would NOT want. The only mags I have NEVER been able to load to full capacity are the POS Pro-Mag H&K USC .45acp 20 rndrs that I have to use for my AR-45. Loading them to capacity causes the locking lug on the mag to shear off. Is Hex-Mag a subsidiary of Pro-Mag???

[No message]

photo41689.jpg

Top Back Refresh