What's new

Irish-ish Beef Stew

Navydoc8778

Member Number
Loc
Bozeman, Montana
An old recipe I got from a family member.
1.5 lbs stew meat (fatty is ok)
2 tbsp plain flower
olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3/4 lb pearl onions, cleaned
4 garlic cloves
4 sprigs of thyme
3 full bay leaves
500 ml dark beer. I love the Irish Death ale. It works really well.
2-3 tsp tomato puree/paste
300 ml beef stock
s&p to taste
For the Dumplings:
125 g self rising flour
75g suet
1 tbsp whole grain mustard

Preheat the oven to 300Season beef with s&p and then toss in a bowl with just enough flour to coat it lightly
Use a large dutch oven and bring it up to a medium heat on the stove top. Drop a touch of oil in and when it is hot, drop the beef in. Brown it on all sides
Once the beef has browned, add the carrots, garlic, onions, herbs and stir for 2-3 minutes to get things started right.
Pour your beer in. I usually leave mine out for an hour o two open to flatten and warm it up so you don't shock the foods that are already cooking.
Stir and scrape up the crispy bits in the bottom of the pan to mix in with your gloriousness.
Bring it up to a boil and let it roll for 3 or 4 minutes.
Stir in the tomato puree and beef stock, bring up to a simmer
Mix well, then cover with the lid and put it in the oven for 2.5 hours

Once you are getting close to the 2.5 hour mark, get the dumpling stuff out.
Put the flour and suet in a bowl with a pinch of s&p, and the mustard. mix to combine, then add just enough water to make into a thick dough.
Flour your hands, and roll the dough into 8-12 dumplings, depending on the size you want.Pull the dutch oven out of the stove and increase temp to 350 and plop the dumplings into the dutch oven on top of everything else.
Put it back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes. If you want crispier topped dumplings, take the lid off for the last 10 minutes.
You can serve this as a stand alone or over rice. Either one works well.
Enjoy.

I'm going to try this out probably add some parsnips onion jam and leeks... pro tip though if you have hard stuckon bits in your pan instead of scrapeing them use a splash of bourbon to lift them off the pan

Top Back Refresh