What's new

In ground valve boxes

grumpy356

bordering on illiterate
Member Number
So I have valve boxes around my place. They fill up with dirt and clog the hose bib. It’s like the dirt pushes UP from the bottom, not flowing in from the top.

is there a trick to making these stay clean?

4917FFB8-3727-4EB6-BFBC-EB0550061E43.png

Place a deep layer of gravel in the bottom. Make sure shit isn't leaking; especially when valves are open. Your water meter should have a sensitive leak wheel. If it is moving when it shouldn't; yeppers you got a problem. :smokin:

Place a deep layer of gravel in the bottom. Make sure shit isn't leaking; especially when valves are open. Your water meter should have a sensitive leak wheel. If it is moving when it shouldn't; yeppers you got a problem. :smokin:

When I originally installed the boxes, I put a bag in of white rock at the bottom of each valve box. It did nothing.

Just for reference, my soil as an expansive clay\ black gumbo for that matters

I dig a big hole under the pipe around the box and fill the whole thing with gravel except for the last four inches of dirt around the box.

Gopher dirt
frost heave
Traffic all cause this.
Set the bed up with a big gravel base and wet set a 3" slab of create + 12" outside the box, drill some weep holes an inch above the create then backfill around the box with drainrock.
sleave the pipes thru the c ment with some thick closed cell foam insulation so it don't fracture due to the expansion!

Last edited:
Place weed mat barrier underneath them and fold it around the sides of the box when you backfill. This is the only way Ive found to keep them clean inside.

Dig them up if mucky put a layer of gravel down to firm up the bottom, put in a couple layers of weed block fabric (The good stuff) under the pipe...even better with road fabric. Be sure the box sets on the edges of the fabric and bury ....Best way to do it.

Bittom up..Weed block, hardware cloth and then gravel...first ones for the dirt that wants to migrate, second ones for the little digging critters and the gravel is to make it drain easier.

Can you put a concrete paver at the bottom?

You could dig a larger, deeper hole, put a concrete paver at the bottom, install box over that so the paver forms a floor, and backfill. I guess it kinda depends how your plumbing comes into the box though.

Kevin

pavers on the bottom so the valve box will sit on top of the pavers. Also get the biggest valve box you can. Homo depot has a jumbo size. get that one. you can also buy 2 valve boxes and put on in upside down on the bottom. you can then use a few drive screws to "clam shel" them together.

I dig a big hole under the pipe around the box and fill the whole thing with gravel except for the last four inches of dirt around the box.

20171013_165353.jpg
20200930_085756.jpg
20200930_085752.jpg
20200930_085810.jpg
The first picture is from 10/13/17 and the rest are from today.

Top Back Refresh