What's new

In a museum about the civil war and saw this and it really seems relevant.

Willc

Drunken Hobbit
Member Number
Loc
NC
I not a historian nor am I here to join in any debate about these pictures. I just saw them and was like wow history repeats itself.

Attachments

• PXL_20221212_184100157.jpg
    PXL_20221212_184100157.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20221212_184343723.jpg
    PXL_20221212_184343723.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 65
secession?

Read the document I posted. They make it very clear.

All other states that seceded issued similar documents. The "states rights" rhetoric came many years later.

As long as we have bread and circuses, never.
see also:

This is what Col. John S. Mosby - who ought to know a thing or two about the matter - had to say in 1907 about what was being said at the time was the cause of the civil war:

John+Singleton+Mosby+Pic.jpg

I wrote you about my disgust at reading the Reunion speeches: It has since been increased by reading Christians report. I am certainly glad I wasn’t there. According to Christian the Virginia people were the abolitionists & the Northern people were pro-slavery. He says slavery was “a patriarchal” institution – So were polygamy & circumcision. Ask Hugh if he has been circumcised. Christian quotes what the Old Virginians – said against slavery. True; but why didn’t he quote what the modern Virginians said in favor of it – Mason, Hunter, Wise &c. Why didn’t he state that a Virginia Senator (Mason) was the author of the Fugitive Slave law – & why didn’t he quote The Virginia Code (1860) that made it a crime to speak against slavery, or to teach a negro to read the Lord’s prayer. Now while I think as badly of slavery as Horace Greeley did I am not ashamed that my family were slaveholders. It was our inheritance – Neither am I ashamed that my ancestors were pirates & cattle thieves. People must be judged by the standard of their own age. If it was right to own slaves as property it was right to fight for it. The South went to war on account of Slavery. South Carolina went to war – as she said in her Secession proclamation – because slavery wd. not be secure under Lincoln. South Carolina ought to know what was the cause for her seceding. . . . I am not ashamed of having fought on the side of slavery – a soldier fights for his country – right or wrong – he is not responsible for the political merits of the cause he fights in. The South was my country.

This is what Col. John S. Mosby - who ought to know a thing or two about the matter - had to say in 1907 about what was being said at the time was the cause of the civil war:

John+Singleton+Mosby+Pic.jpg

He is one of my heroes, not for what he did during the war but what he did afterwards. He was definitely an American patriot.:usa:

He became a good friend of Grant after the war.

I knew of all his exploits during the Civil War during grade school, him and the Swamp Fox were two of my boyhood heroes. I didn't realize until a few years ago after reading a book about him what he did after the war. I think him and President Lincoln would have got along good.

I not a historian nor am I here to join in any debate about these pictures. I just saw them and was like wow history repeats itself.
Inflation was rampant because the South didn't have the infrastructure/economy to provide for their own states AND the war effort.
If it wasn't for the Union Army's YUGE logistics forts/bases that the Confederate Army raided/overran; the War would have probably ended six months sooner.

The last point on the 'Nation Divided' card, IIRC, is completely wrong.
From Maryland Northward; all states made slavery illegal.
Maryland dragged their ass on freeing their slaves and abiding by the new anti-slavery laws.

Top Back Refresh