What's new

IH LoadStar 4x4 F/S

Gdogg

Trump Supporter
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
Not mine, I just came across it on Fakebook, though some of you guy would appreciate something like this.

I want em both... but too far and too much $$$

I don't ever recall seen 1 of these let along 2, maybe we can find a blue one next.
Blue bus and orange truck, both 1700s. Orange dump truck. All 4x4s. My wife says I have a sickness.:lmao:
20200509_082258.jpg
20180114_171713.jpg
20200509_082221.jpg

This is why I am building War Pig.

Just thought I'd add one more Loadstar 1700 4x4 while it's still around. It's actually too far gone to restore - very rusted out and the frame has a big crack under the cab. My plans are to rebuild the front axle and put it under my rust-free Loadstar to convert it to 4wd.
LS-Parts-truck.JPG

Just thought I'd add one more Loadstar 1700 4x4 while it's still around. It's actually too far gone to restore - very rusted out and the frame has a big crack under the cab. My plans are to rebuild the front axle and put it under my rust-free Loadstar to convert it to 4wd.
LS-Parts-truck.JPG
How's the cab?

How's the cab?
Surprisingly the cab itself isn't too bad - the floor is rusty but not rusted through. Same with the doors - and they shut and latch perfectly. If it wasn't such a big job to remove the cab, I might consider selling the cab eventually along with the Rockwell transfer case. I have a much better Dana/Spicer 4-speed transfer case.
Mostly it's just the front fenders with rust holes big enough to put your fist through, and the back half of the frame is extremely rusted. I suspect it was both a snow plow and a road salt spreader judging by how extremely rusted (not apparent in the picture) the back part of the frame and rear suspension is.

That thing looks mint by New England standards
Well, if you think anyone might be interested, I could always put the whole truck up for sale. I could either include my front non-drive axle from my good truck or a front drive axle from an '80's S-Series Loadstar 4x4. Same hub type, load rating, axle ratio etc its just wider, a lot wider.
But I don't think anyone would really be too interested, the front fenders are toast, the front grill has a big hole in it, the frame under the cab is cracked and the back frame and suspension is very rusted, big flakes of rusty metal pealing off. It might be a fun mud truck, but I would never trust it to carry the load its rated for.

Well, if you think anyone might be interested, I could always put the whole truck up for sale. I could either include my front non-drive axle from my good truck or a front drive axle from an '80's S-Series Loadstar 4x4. Same hub type, load rating, axle ratio etc its just wider, a lot wider.
But I don't think anyone would really be too interested, the front fenders are toast, the front grill has a big hole in it, the frame under the cab is cracked and the back frame and suspension is very rusted, big flakes of rusty metal pealing off. It might be a fun mud truck, but I would never trust it to carry the load its rated for.
Grendel undoubtedly wants the cab.

But you should refuse to part it out so I can buy the 2wd front axle and frame off him for pennies. :flipoff2:

What's the ratio on the other front drive axle you'd be willing to sell? Is it a Coleman, Spicer 9,000lb axle, or something else?

What's the ratio on the other front drive axle you'd be willing to sell? Is it a Coleman, Spicer 9,000lb axle, or something else?
Actually the axle was designed by Napco, built by Dana exclusively for IH, per Dana tech support. It's rated at 9,000lb. The knuckle ball is larger than a Dana 70 and no parts from a Dana 70 will fit it. Surprisingly parts are still available for it from both Navistar (using IH part numbers) and Dana (using Dana part numbers). However the parts (seals, felts, bearings etc) cost almost exactly 3 times more from Navistar. I know because I bought all the parts (seals, gaskets, new drain plug etc) everything I thought I might need in rebuilding it and bringing it up to my standards. However those parts don't go with it because they also fit my Loadstar's parts truck axle.
The pumpkin is the same as a IH RA-30 and has a ratio of 7.17. No locker. It has Dayton spoke wheel hubs and locking part-time hubs. It's too wide to work on a 60-78 Loadstar, only an S-Series Loadstar or other wide truck from the very late 70's onward. It's either a FA-64 or FA-78 with a corresponding IH code of either 02064 or 02078. I have not been able to find any difference between the two in the IH parts books. It tips the scales, with hubs and brakes attached but no wheels, at 1260 lbs. It was made for 3 in. wide leaf springs but I'm sure any width spring will work ok on it. What else would you like to know about it?
Thanks.

Drive axle1.jpg

Drive axle2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually the axle was designed by Napco, built by Dana exclusively for IH, per Dana tech support. It's rated at 9,000lb. The knuckle ball is larger than a Dana 70 and no parts from a Dana 70 will fit it. Surprisingly parts are still available for it from both Navistar (using IH part numbers) and Dana (using Dana part numbers). However the parts (seals, felts, bearings etc) cost almost exactly 3 times more from Navistar. I know because I bought all the parts (seals, gaskets, new drain plug etc) everything I thought I might need in rebuilding it and bringing it up to my standards. However those parts don't go with it because they also fit my Loadstar's parts truck axle.
The pumpkin is the same as a IH RA-30 and has a ratio of 7.17. No locker. It has Dayton spoke wheel hubs and locking part-time hubs. It's too wide to work on a 60-78 Loadstar, only an S-Series Loadstar or other wide truck from the very late 70's onward. It's either a FA-64 or FA-78 with a corresponding IH code of either 02064 or 02078. I have not been able to find any difference between the two in the IH parts books. It tips the scales, with hubs and brakes attached but no wheels, at 1260 lbs. It was made for 3 in. wide leaf springs but I'm sure any width spring will work ok on it. What else would you like to know about it?
Thanks.

Drive axle1.jpg

Drive axle2.jpg
Thanks for the info. Skipped my mind that these were Dayton hubs and the ratios/width wouldn't work anyways unfortuantely. Very cool axle though. I hear they have 1.75" shafts? Did you post about this on Pirate many years ago? The pics look familiar.

Thanks for the info. Skipped my mind that these were Dayton hubs and the ratios/width wouldn't work anyways unfortuantely. Very cool axle though. I hear they have 1.75" shafts? Did you post about this on Pirate many years ago? The pics look familiar.
I possibly did when I first got it a couple years ago when I thought it would work under my Loadstar. The ratio and wheel hub type was correct for my truck, but it was just too wide. At that time I posted on Pirate and a couple IH forums as I was looking for info on this axle. I had no idea exactly what it was from or how to order basic parts for it. Yeah, their axle shafts are meaty but I never measured them. But it has the rzeppa type joint instead of the standard u-joint.

LS-Parts-truck.JPG
any chance you want to sell off all the drivers' door guts? mainly latch and all corresponding hardware, and maybe the window regulator too? actuator rods, etc? got a feeler out to someone on Binder Planet too. On the hunt...

hi Chris,
I don't know about the window regulator, but I believe the door latching is different between a pick-up truck and a Loadstar. At least it was between my '62 IH pickup and my 1969 and 1976 Loadstars.

To the best of my knowledge, 1962 - '68 pickups are almost all identical as far as door and body parts go, and '60 - '78 Loadstar cab door and body parts are all identical with each other, but to the best of my knowledge they do not cross over to the pickup line. Other than the windshield I don't think anything other than engines and transmissions will interchange - they are separate truck lines. I post here so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

First picture is what I think you have, or should have to the best of my knowledge, and the second picture is what a Loadstar has:
The first picture came from:
thebinderboneyard.com

67-68 International Pickup Travelall Travelette Passenger Door Latch M

1967-1968 International Pickup Travelall Travelette Passenger Door (right side) Door Latch striker Mechanism Good used condition. This part mounts directly into the door. This part will fit front and rear doors on late C-series vehicles. Claw style latch will not work on finger style trucks...
thebinderboneyard.com
thebinderboneyard.com

They are a good source for truck parts. And so is eBay. But the best way to find obsolete parts is to put the part number in google and search. I found parts for my '62 pickup using google in some unexpected places.
I hope this helps.

Loadstar door latch:
Door Latch-LS.jpg

Looks like I have the finger style and the truck one above is the claw style. I saw mention of 2 pickup styles when reading up. I'd be happy with either for the driver side, might just need the striker plate too if its a different claw style
IMG_20230630_091701.jpg
IMG_20230630_091657.jpg

Thanks for the info. Bummer, I'm surprised they didn't share design across to the loadstars. Looks like maybe itd be retrofitable if desperate. if you get to the scrapping point / are willing to send them off cheap, I'd still be interested to have the guts in my hands and see if they can be retrofit into the truck. Promise to post up results on BP if I tried it

looks like the loadstar striker plate Door Latch Receiver(right side) - International Harvester Loadstar Parts - IH Loadstar Parts - Your Loadstar Parts Dealer is the same as mine
1688132111702.png

the hunt continues

Last edited:
Hi,
I never saw the finger type of door latch before, only the "C" style I posted above from Binder Boneyard. I just learned something new. It would be surprising to me if they didn't interchange. Good luck in your search.

Hi,
I never saw the finger type of door latch before, only the "C" style I posted above from Binder Boneyard. I just learned something new. It would be surprising to me if they didn't interchange. Good luck in your search.
Pretty sure they interchange and that I have C1200 doors/ parts on my travel crew cab.

I’m having a real hard time tracking down a locking hub for my 1967 load star 1600. If anyone has any leads where I may find one would be much appreciated. Very desperate seeing it’s the only thing stoping me from putting it to use on the farm

Attachments

• 42D46013-800C-47AB-8AFB-0E2D031AC0B3.jpeg
    42D46013-800C-47AB-8AFB-0E2D031AC0B3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 2548DEE6-4265-4564-A7DD-EF40A5769E8D.png
    2548DEE6-4265-4564-A7DD-EF40A5769E8D.png
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 8
Probably easier to find a Slug plate.

Binderplanet.com or IHpartsamerica.com forum might be a source.

Binderplanet.com, TRAVELETTE on there might have one. The NOS stuff he has for Loadstars never ceases to amaze.

Another place are junkyards in the mid west. I've seen a few Loadstar front drive axles for sale out there. It's going to be a hard item to find, good luck.

Top Back Refresh