What's new

ID this Axle

Isn't it insensitive to "give" an axle an identity? Shouldn't we let the axle decide what it is for itself?

Scrap without thornbirds, it is crying for thornbirds. Please buy some thornbirds for it and make it a happy axle. Axel.

Jesus fuck i make one post asking questions about something ive never dealt with and now im not allowed to know what a fucking sterling is.

Are you a total fucking newb???:confused:

That would be a REAR axle.

DzPW1AYW0AAsVqn.jpg

Ill take it shipped to 30534 for $20

In all seriousness I think it would be worth parting it out on ebay, especially if its a 4.10.
I THINK the shafts will work all the way up to current year model 10.5 axles.

Thanks guys!

I had to use braille on the screen with all these helpful posts. :flipoff2:

Looks like it's going to scrap unfortunately, ubless anyone picks it up from Arizona.

Last edited:
I did not read the responses which I am sure you had a pile of them right away..

Sterling ten and a quarter. I ran one in a 4400 car on 43' and never had a single issue for years. It is arguably stronger than a 14 bolt and was ignored by the off road community because.... well, I dont know why ...They are cheep, strong, readily available, and easy to set up.

Better answer...

It's the axle 14 bolt guys ignore because its cheaper, stronger, more readily available, but somehow not as good...

I did not read the responses which I am sure you had a pile of them right away..

Sterling ten and a quarter. I ran one in a 4400 car on 43' and never had a single issue for years. It is arguably stronger than a 14 bolt and was ignored by the off road community because.... well, I dont know why ...They are cheep, strong, readily available, and easy to set up.

Because its an 8 on 170mm bolt pattern.

Better answer...

It's the axle 14 bolt guys ignore because its cheaper, stronger, more readily available, but somehow not as good...

How do you figure its stronger? 14b is the same ring gear Dia but had a 3rd pinion bearing. Plus the slightly larger shafts.

Not saying the 10.25/10.5 isn't a great axle. Iirc it hangs down no less than a standard front dana 60. The o ring seal shafts are sweet too.

How do you figure its stronger? 14b is the same ring gear Dia but had a 3rd pinion bearing. Plus the slightly larger shafts.

Not saying the 10.25/10.5 isn't a great axle. Iirc it hangs down no less than a standard front dana 60. The o ring seal shafts are sweet too.

Bearings are bigger. 14 bolts shafts are not bigger than the ones we’ve had.

You guys are like a bunch of Volvo drivers hanging out at a Pilot and a W900l with a C-15 shows up.

Semi drivers have got to be the biggest lot of dick measuring fags I've ever seen. And there's hardly a one of them that can actually drive worth a shit.

no wonder they are all being replaced by Pakis and jose with headsets.

I think you could argue, as strong, but stronger is kinda tough.

Without question they are as strong. You must not recall the few threads on PBB. Some, like you are now, have trouble accepting its arguably stronger. Over a few years of me bringing it up and posting ‘who has seen a sterling break off-road’ I think one single person said they had. But anyone who has wheeled substantially has seen 14 bolts break. I’m not going back over to look and you have to factor in the sheer number of machines running both. But ask around and you will find that they rarely give up. A 14 bolt on stock shafts would not have lived through 3 years of 4400 on 43 stickies. I never expected the sterling to but it was fine.

Top Back Refresh